PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After October, how confident are you that Mac Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you Mac Jones can lead this team for 5 years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To date, I would rank them:

Lawrence
Jones
Wilson
Fields
Lance

But that ranking means nothing. Too early to tell with any of them yet. It is damn encouraging that Jones is where he is, but we have no idea what he will ultimately develop into. Same with them all.

I’d just switch Lance and Fields but agree on the rest.

Lance is still a big project. I’m not optimistic about him, but the verdict is in on Fields. He’s not an NFL caliber QB. Wilson is getting close but isn’t at unsalvageable bad level yet. The main thing is Lance and Wilson have the physical tools for a possible, though unlikely, Josh Allen path.

Fields doesn’t have it…he’s too small, terrible instincts, can only throw well outside the pocket, wrong mechanics, arm is nothing special.

I’d just switch Lance and Fields but agree on the rest.

Lance is still a big project. I’m not optimistic about him, but the verdict is in on Fields. He’s not an NFL caliber QB. Wilson is getting close but isn’t at unsalvageable bad level yet. The main thing is Lance and Wilson have the physical tools for a possible, though unlikely, Josh Allen path.

Fields doesn’t have it…he’s too small, terrible instincts, can only throw well outside the pocket, wrong mechanics, arm is nothing special.

I put Lance last because I was asked based on what we have seen thus far and Lance has shown he is at least another off season away from even be out there as a starter. I would bet Lance will have a better career than Fields, but not based on what I have seen on the field thus far.

I agree that the playoffs are the last big question mark; can he get them there? how will he perform? I give him 9/10...withholding 10/10 until I see it.

I like his dedication, grit, toughness, intelligence, and football smarts for a rookie. If he continues to improve along the expected curve, this is a franchise QB, and we'd be lucky as hell...few franchises get to move on from the GOAT to a franchise QB in a generation (Lolphins, San Fran, etc), let alone a couple years.

He’s doing as good or even better than I can reasonably expect, but we all have to temper our expectations. So many have been prematurely annointed...heck Wentz and Goff helped their teams get to a Super Bowl and yet have already been discarded.

We would be hard pressed to find a better QB who is a match for what the Patriots hold important.
It's not like we will be drafting in the top 5 anytime soon. (hopefully)
He has handled every challenge admirably so far and while I acknowledge it is early, why would we even be looking?
The question was the level of confidence we have found our QB for the next 5 years.
I believe it's 8 or 9
And I although we have not seen him in cold weather games, I went with 9.

I voted a 7 just because there is still so much uncertainty about how he will perform at several crucial things for “the guy” QBs. When it’s crunch time in the playoffs and you gotta have a drive how does it feel in the huddle and on the sidelines do all of your team mates believe it’s going to happen? How do you come back from an awful 4 int kind of game? Can you take over a game 400 yard 3 TD style when the other team knows you are passing? Mac specific, and young QBs in general, adding 5-10 lbs of muscle without losing accuracy and touch. Having the drive to continue to improve because the NFL will have film on you and stop your go to’s.

All of that said I fully believe we have at least an Andy Dalton caliber QB, a guy that you can get to the playoffs year in and year out with. Steady, consistent, if not flashy. Thats the 7 for me, he has shown he is above average but not elite. Could Mac be more? Absolutely, he is a rookie and being coached by the GOAT and I look forward to his growth and how he answers some of those questions if they make the playoffs this year. No one will ever be Brady again but I do think eventually Mac could be a top 10, 2nd or 3rd string Pro Bowl kind of guy and that’s more then enough to win with.

People forget how "pedestrian" alot of Tom Brady's stats were in this same system back in early 2000's...Not fair to compare him to Brady, but in a very similar system (sure, its evolved over the years) Mac Jones stat lines are very reminiscent of Bradys
I agree with this 100% Even after 2001 the jury was still out on the QB who became the GOAT, many still preferred Bledsoe. I wonder how Brady would have scored in a similar poll taken at the start of the 2002 season. As for Mac it is too early to tell, but the trend is good. He is having reasonable success with no experience and under extreme duress. I really like the fact that he shown the ability to turn it on when it counts, even if he hits a rough stretch. My grade is 7.

I agree with this 100% Even after 2001 the jury was still out on the QB who became the GOAT, many still preferred Bledsoe. I wonder how Brady would have scored in a similar poll taken at the start of the 2002 season. As for Mac it is too early to tell, but the trend is good. He is having reasonable success with no experience and under extreme duress. I really like the fact that he shown the ability to turn it on when it counts, even if he hits a rough stretch. My grade is 7.
I mean it really comes down to, how far is he going. Is this what he is, is it going to get a lot better or worse? As someone said, its just so hard to tell after 8 games. He has been fine, but can he be special, thats the question. He seems to have a lot of things to like, but just too early

People forget that after the 2001 season was over there was plenty of debate locally and nationally on whether the Pats trade Bledsoe or Brady. It wasn't anything but an unanimous belief that the Pats should keep Brady over Bledsoe. And in 2002, many people were saying that the Pats kept the wrong QB because Bledsoe actually played really well in 2002.

One thing for sure is if you told people in 2001 that Brady would become the greatest QB of all time, everyone would have laughed in your face.

Jones will never come close to Brady, but that doesn't mean he won't develop into an elite QB some day. Probably won't, but if he keeps on progressing off this start it is a possibility.

I mean it really comes down to, how far is he going. Is this what he is, is it going to get a lot better or worse? As someone said, its just so hard to tell after 8 games. He has been fine, but can he be special, thats the question. He seems to have a lot of things to like, but just too early

He seems to have all the tools necessary to become a great to elite QB, but this league has been littered with QB over the years who came into the league with all the tools to develop into Hall of Fame QBs to become major busts who are out of the league in 4-6 years.

10/10. He might not ever crack top 5 active QBs in the NFL (though he could) but we can definitely be a contender with him at QB and BB at HC.

As far as rookie seasons go I honestly think he's beyond what we could have hoped for.

Honestly, it might just be my memory but I can't think of many rookie QBs who had a season where they were *this* good. Dak maybe? I *think* he played during his rookie season. Was Culpepper chucking it to Moss and Carter in his rookie year? Big Ben probably had the best rookie season I ever saw but I mean, either way Mac is on a very short list of good rookie seasons.

If he doesn't develop the yips, bad habits, or have a hole in his game found and exploited then he's gonna be much better than we had any right to have so soon after watching the undisputed GOAT walk away.

He seems to have all the tools necessary to become a great to elite QB, but this league has been littered with QB over the years who came into the league with all the tools to develop into Hall of Fame QBs to become major busts who are out of the league in 4-6 years.
Between the ears, he has what it takes. He has shown that he can absorb the hits and stay focused behind a turnstile offensive line. He is a leader who has won the respect of his teammates. The "ceiling" on Mac Jones is as high as he wants to go.

I'll go with a 7.5 grade on Mac at the midseason point. He's clearly the most NFL ready QB and the best performing of his entire rookie draft class.

So the Pats clearly got the pick right. And if he had been taken at #3, knowing what we know now, that would have been a fitting spot for him to go. So the Pats essentially stole a top 5 QB draft pick at the #15 spot. Thanks for passing on Mac - looking squarely at the Jets, 49ers, and Bears.

Now how good can Jones become? He's got a long way to go, but it's really hard to tell. But what he has shown so far are an accurate arm, a lightning fast release, and a good processing speed, anticipation, and reading of the game.

All of these we could already see to some degree at the college level. The main question was - does he have enough to translate it to the pro game where everyone is bigger/faster/more talented? And the answer so far is yes. His game translates to the NFL level. He's getting better week by week, and he probably will be the best QB in terms of production in his draft class this year.

Will Trevor Lawrence catch up? Maybe he will, given enough time, certainly Lawrence has a higher projected ceiling. But that's not the question for Pats fans. The question is - can Mac Jones give us a chance to compete for titles in the future? If he keeps progressing and improving, I feel like the answer is a resounding yes.

Also all the draftniks and pundits who hated on Mac Jones leading up to and immediately following the draft? They can all go suck an egg, because they look really stupid right about now.

76448728.jpg

Now how good can Jones become? He's got a long way to go, but it's really hard to tell. But what he has shown so far are an accurate arm, a lightning fast release, and a good processing speed, anticipation, and reading of the game.
He reminds me of Garoppolo in the sense that he's always looked like he's in command of this offense.

7/8.

Also, anyone even remotely surprised the OC got brought up within... a staggering one post?

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office
LoL, yeah that is surprising. Are rookie quarterbacks who they are regardless of the coaching staff, team that drafted them. How much better would Zach Wilson have looked if the Patriots drafted him instead of the Jets.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back