PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After October, how confident are you that Mac Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you Mac Jones can lead this team for 5 years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Now that October is over . . . How confident are you that Mac Jones has the talent to lead this team for the next five years? [Obviously, I would love for it to be longer, but I'll take five years for now.]

Please note that this is intended to be purely a question of what Jones has shown in terms of his physical and mental abilities.

Also, I'm not asking if he's going to be the GOAT, or win multiple Super Bowls, or whatever; just that he's not going to have them looking for a new starter anytime soon.

At the end of September, I was around an 8. After this month, I'm up to a 9.

I’m at a 5 right now which is a neutral rating. Way to early to tell, but he is off to a good start.

However, I’m sure teams fans of the other QB’s drafted before him are very worried.

Last edited:
10/10…He is so much the guy that I don’t think we need to worry about it anymore. Let’s start worrying about ways to build around our guy. Get our guy some protection (keep your minds out of the gutter) and a #1 target. That should be the new worry.

Much more confident than a month ago...the arrow continues to point up. I’d say then I was 4/10 and now I’m maybe 6/10. But I wouldn’t give anyone 10/10 after eight games.

Some might think these scores are low, but I think we likely have different ideas for what the 1-10 scale means. I think 6 is high for a rookie QB mid-season.

As good as he has been, I feel he has tons more to show . Every week he is just soaking it up.

He cares what he is doing, hate losing games and shows some sparks of leadership. He is still learning and I am fine with that. I hope we will have our franchise QB if ....we give him protecting, offensive weapons and first of all time to understand the game.

Besides being off, it seemed Mac had a different mindset yesterday.
Weeks 1-7, willing to absorb a hit to get last second pass off
Yesterday, releasing ball too soon.
Fear of Bosa?
Coaching instructions? Too soon better than INT?

Could have used a bonafide slot WR yesterday. So little separation on short throws

Speaking of Bosa, NE RBs chipped him all day including a few punishing shots

Besides being off, it seemed Mac had a different mindset yesterday.
Weeks 1-7, willing to absorb a hit to get last second pass off
Yesterday, releasing ball too soon.
Fear of Bosa?
Coaching instructions? Too soon better than INT?

Could have used a bonafide slot WR yesterday. So little separation on short throws

Speaking of Bosa, NE RBs chipped him all day including a few punishing shots

I had him pegged 10/10 the day he was drafted (check my postings). The Patriots got the steal of the draft. SF was robbed. He is incredily accurate (best arm in his draft class), can make all the throws, has a powerful arm when needed, is intelligent, and has some leadership capabilities.

Anyway, I think he is injured. He was incredibly accurate until he got a wicked hit against the Jets and then his accuracy went down. Same yesterday; he was not as consistent or accurate....I think he is dealing with some sort of injury. There were flashes of his old self, but more misses than usual.

Mac Jones who some think isn't the guy, was 18/35 yesterday. No ints and his team won. Justin Herbert who many seem to think is most definitely the guy (for another team) was 18/35 yesterday with 2 ints and his team lost. Rookies will stink every so often. So do vets.

I'm convinced he is the "guy"..

Yesterday against the Chargers he was off, however still maintained control of the game, a huge stat from yesterday was time of possession which the Pats won 33 to 26...

So far so good.

Mac Jones who some think isn't the guy, was 18/35 yesterday. No ints and his team won. Justin Herbert who many seem to think is most definitely the guy (for another team) was 18/35 yesterday with 2 ints and his team lost. Rookies will stink every so often. So do vets.
18 completions on 35 attempts is basically a 50% completion rate which is awful.

If Herbert keeps playing like that and putting up a 50% completion rate he wont be the guy anymore. It appeared to me that on Herberts 2nd INT that the WR cut the route off short. And, Mac was very lucky that he didnt have at least 1 INT in the endzone.

Mac did a lot of good things yesterday and made a lot of mistakes with passes sailing like kites in a dome.

I’d say around a 6 or 7/10. Somewhere in that range. I’m confident he can get better, but it’s pretty clear that the coaching staff is trying to protect him more than anything. The emphasis seems to be on limiting turnovers when it comes to Mac’s play. Reminds me of how they coached Brady in 2001.

He’s got the talent, the brains, the quick release, and he has the “Patriot Way” mindset. Didn’t have a great game, but came up big in the drive when they needed the clinching field goal. Also, earlier in the game, the 44 yarder to Agholor was a thing of beauty.

One thing to remember, this isn’t the finished product when we are looking at Jones. He’s only gonna get better. He already is pretty good at reading NFL Defenses and making quick decisions. I keep waiting for that breakout game where he attacks like he did in Alabama, but I don’t think the game is being called like that. But he certainly will grow into that. I think he’s a perfect fit for the Pats offense. He’s exactly what the Pats want in a QB. He’s a “Patriot’s type” of QB. Meaning, like I said before, good at reading defenses, quick release, and smart.

Pats are 4-4, after starting 1-3. They are 10th in points scored and 10th in points against. They are trending upward. Jones is a major reason why. He solidified the QB position. I have all the faith in the world that he is, “the guy”.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back