PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFCCG Practice/Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they get beat with huge chunks of yardage, does it really matter who beat them? Does no good to contain Bell/Brown if James/Rogers are consistently making big plays.
I am quite certain that Bill Belichick would agree with you.

Those who act as if there are no other weapons outside of Bell and Brown are foolish. Whether Green plays or not, they've been utilizing the TE position, and Heyward-Bey is expected back this week. He scored back in October and provides experience and size. Eli Rogers is another fast WR that they'll go to.

Those who act as if there are no other weapons outside of Bell and Brown are foolish. Whether Green plays or not, they've been utilizing the TE position, and Heyward-Bey is expected back this week. He scored back in October and provides experience and size. Eli Rogers is another fast WR that they'll go to.

Yeah but you gotta factor in that the Pats D can stop them. I mean, if the KC D only gave up FGs, I assume the Pats can keep the scoring to a minimum. Not saying they can keep them out of the end zone completely but it should be much.

Yeah but you gotta factor in that the Pats D can stop them. I mean, if the KC D only gave up FGs, I assume the Pats can keep the scoring to a minimum. Not saying they can keep them out of the end zone completely but it should be much.
I probably shouldn't have used the term "foolish" because I honestly don't know who said what and I don't want to sound like I'm being a ****, but I've been reading about how they only have two weapons in some of the threads, and I don't think that's the case at all.

There have been plenty of times where the "other guys" contribute, as well. As you said, we can assume that our talent level is equal or better, so hopefully the execution is there, along with some mistake-free football.

Yes, the Steelers arsenal is not just a 2-man show. But also keep in mind how heavily Brown and Bell are being used as primary weapons, and the drop off between them and others on the depth chart

For instance, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown both accounted for 51.8% of team's scrimmage yards in season (most of any duo in the NFL). Even more remarkable, is that both account for 74.2% of Pittsburgh's yardage in the playoffs!

Yes, the Steelers arsenal is not just a 2-man show. But also keep in mind how heavily Brown and Bell are being used as primary weapons, and the drop off between them and others on the depth chart

For instance, Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown both accounted for 51.8% of team's scrimmage yards in season (most of any duo in the NFL). Even more remarkable, is that both account for 74.2% of Pittsburgh's yardage in the playoffs!
Yes, we're definitely trying to keep that number more in line with the regular season results (51.8%) than the postseason ones, which were helped by Bell's two huge games.

It still shows that almost half of the regular season production came from other areas though, and I wouldn't necessarily take them as lightly as some seem to be suggesting.

The old "make them throw to Pascoe, make them throw to Manningham" plan works until it doesn't. I'm not disagreeing with anything about your proposed game plan, for whatever it's worth to you. I'm just pointing out that there are other ways in which they can beat you, too, just like we also saw from Denver in last year's AFCCG with the 2 TE touchdowns.

Eli Rogers is another fast WR that they'll go to.

The important word in there is speed. Last year in the opener they had several long plays wide open that the WRs just dropped. Now this is a different year, and very likely a different defensive scheme, but it wouldn't shock me at all that they'll go five wide (with Bell as one of the receiver options), motion to identify the man/zone or double team early and throw it deep against guys like Chung/Harmon/Rowe wherever the single coverage is. Similar to what Houston did on the wide open Fuller play that he just flat out dropped (now Rogers and Bey can drop passes too as they did last year, but you don't want to rely on their not making plays as a strategy).

Obviously two and three deep zone would vastly reduce that option, but you can't stay in one coverage all game as any NFL offense will exploit it. I think one of the Steeler hopes is to hit on 2-3 of these as the coverage dictates to change the game quickly especially if the Pats are able to run on their D again.

No confirmation on accuracy of this report. Bell also reportedly excused. Need to check injury report.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing