PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Wilson

NEPettyOfficer72

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The Arizona Legend Strong Safety and Outside Linebacker Adrian Wilson could bring a lot to the New England defense as a whole. Factors such as tenacity, physicality, intensity, experience, talent and leadership. He was for a long time, mentioned only behind safeties Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed as being the best and still has what it takes both physically and mentally to play at a very high level.

Rodney Harrison praised Bill Belichick for this signing, as did a lot of other coaches, and former players alike. You can even say that Adrian is more accomplished then Rodney coming into NE, then Rodney was coming from SD with many accolades under his belt. Even though Rodney was only 31 at the time, the age difference is only two years with Wilson being 33. And lets remember, great safeties tend to play extremely well longer than other positions for some reason or another.

It's not like he is that old, he is only 33. I've seen guys like Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, Brian Dawkins, John Lynch and Steve Atwater play at all-pro levels older than that. For his career, he has 5 Probowl appearances, 4 all-pros, 887 tackles, 25.5 QB Sacks!!, 14 Forced Fumbles, 27 interceptions, 20 sacks and 20 interceptions club, and the 25/25 club.

His last probowl appearance was as recent as 2011, as he was instrumental in the Cardinals becoming NFC Champions in 2008. And his fit is perfect being his versatility and knowledge of the game. Adrian always seems to be around the football, making big plays whether it be in coverage or versus the run, and in passing situations blitzing the QB.

I'm sure a guy like that, can and will share ideas with Bill Belichick, and Matt Patricia and what he sees on the field as well as give FS Devin McCourty insight as well who will be partnered with him back there. I personally think people are underestimating this signing and really underappreciating the presence of a great veteran safety and leader, and just think with a ring on his resume, he makes the Hall of Fame.. What are some thoughts and feedback on Adrian Wilson?...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO leadership is key, we have a comparatively very young D backfield... in the past from my point of view leadership was a deficit..

Now that we have more depth and experience this will be a valuable addition..

The Patriots need their starting strong safety this coming season to be better than Adrian Wilson was last season. It'd be great if he can have a bit of a comeback and help solidify that spot, but if he's the same guy as he was last year, I'm not convinced I'd want him on the field over Tavon Wilson.

The Patriots need their starting strong safety this coming season to be better than Adrian Wilson was last season. It'd be great if he can have a bit of a comeback and help solidify that spot, but if he's the same guy as he was last year, I'm not convinced I'd want him on the field over Tavon Wilson.

Dude, come on? I don't understand how people always think that younger is better.. Adrian Wilson has proven to be a dominant safety in this league and he can still play at a high level vs someone who looks to be good but still unproven. Tavon I think can really take off, and has the skills to be very good so I understand completely but people often forget what impact Adrian Wilson has. Rodney Harrison was age 33 during the ladder half of the last championship season, but I didn't see any up and coming safety starting over him, he was still a great player so what make you think Adrian Wilson can't still perform at the level he has been performing at? Plus, Bill Belichick has a knack for getting the best out of players who people thought were at the end of their ropes.. Ted Washington, Randy Moss, Rodney Harrison, Larry Centers and etc.... I'm just giving my opinion.

I'm crossing my fingers that he rebounds nicely. Also as a mentor and player/coach to the other safeties.

The Arizona Legend Strong Safety and Outside Linebacker Adrian Wilson could bring a lot to the New England defense as a whole. Factors such as tenacity, physicality, intensity, experience, talent and leadership. He was for a long time, mentioned only behind safeties Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed as being the best and still has what it takes both physically and mentally to play at a very high level. Rodney Harrison praised Bill Belichick for this signing, as did a lot of other coaches, and former players alike. You can even say that Adrian is more accomplished then Rodney coming into NE, then Rodney was coming from SD with many accolades under his belt. Even though Rodney was only 31 at the time, the age difference is only two years with Wilson being 33. And lets remember, great safeties tend to play extremely well longer than other positions for some reason or another. It's not like he is that old, he is only 33. I've seen guys like Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, Brian Dawkins, John Lynch and Steve Atwater play at all-pro levels older than that. For his career, he has 5 Probowl appearances, 4 all-pros, 887 tackles, 25.5 QB Sacks!!, 14 Forced Fumbles, 27 interceptions, 20 sacks and 20 interceptions club, and the 25/25 club. His last probowl appearance was as recent as 2011, as he was instrumental in the Cardinals becoming NFC Champions in 2008. And his fit is perfect being his versatility and knowledge of the game. Adrian always seems to be around the football, making big plays whether it be in coverage or versus the run, and in passing situations blitzing the QB. I'm sure a guy like that, can and will share ideas with Bill Belichick, and Matt Patricia and what he sees on the field as well as give FS Devin McCourty insight as well who will be partnered with him back there. I personally think people are underestimating this signing and really underappreciating the presence of a great veteran safety and leader, and just think with a ring on his resume, he makes the Hall of Fame.. What are some thoughts and feedback on Adrian Wilson?...

I see Adrian being in base defense inside the box as a run stopper, occasionally blitzing, and then playing LB in nickel and dime.

I think Tavon will see most of the snaps in the 2 deep safety sets next to McCourty. I also have high hopes for Tavon.

Observation of one season vs. observation over a career. Realism vs. hope. The off season continues...

Dude, come on? I don't understand how people always think that younger is better.. Adrian Wilson has proven to be a dominant safety in this league and he can still play at a high level vs someone who looks to be good but still unproven. Tavon I think can really take off, and has the skills to be very good so I understand completely but people often forget what impact Adrian Wilson has. Rodney Harrison was age 33 during the ladder half of the last championship season, but I didn't see any up and coming safety starting over him, he was still a great player so what make you think Adrian Wilson can't still perform at the level he has been performing at? Plus, Bill Belichick has a knack for getting the best out of players who people thought were at the end of their ropes.. Ted Washington, Randy Moss, Rodney Harrison, Larry Centers and etc.... I'm just giving my opinion.

Adrian Wilson has proven to be a dominant safety in this league and he can still play at a high level.

Wilson was neither dominant nor playing at a high level last year.

Dude, come on? I don't understand how people always think that younger is better.. Adrian Wilson has proven to be a dominant safety in this league and he can still play at a high level vs someone who looks to be good but still unproven.

I think this response is pretty accurate. If we're hoping that A.Wilson is going to step in and suddenly go back to being a good coverage safety, then we may be disappointed.

I'm glad that we went out and brought in A.Wilson, and I'm sure that Belichick will use his strengths and try to hide his weaknesses, so let's hope that one way or another it improves upon on coverage AND tackling if he's able to provide some versatility in the role of hybrid LB/S.

In the meantime, let's also hope that Tavon Wilson steps up more too, because he's a good guy to have on the field to do different things. His versatility seems to be good, he just needs more talent/experience.

Look, no one even knows the first thing about whether Wilson even makes the first round of cuts. They have to judge what he has left in camp. If Wilson is starting at safety in the opening game, we'll have BB's answer whether he can still play or not..and that is good enough for THIS Pats fan...remember Milloy??

I think that no matter what, we're in a much better position this year in terms of secondary play.

There should be a nice blend of raw talent, experience, youth, and of course---depth.

If either one of Ryan or Harmon have a decent first year learning wise, we may be in damn good shape; and that isn't even bringing up Tavon Wilson's potential improvement in year #2.

He was playing through a shoulder injury for about two years from what I read, and Ken Wisenhunt definitely jumped the gun. But that's just me, I think fully healthy playing with a contender and for Bill Belichick will definitely benefit a veteran force at the safety position like him, just ask Rodney Harrison.

“Adding him, the veteran leadership, the presence, the respect factor, he’s a guy that’s a terrific blitzer, and a physical presence,” Harrison told Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald. “I think he can come in especially during nickel and dime situations, and come down [close to the line] and play that second linebacker position like I did. He’s physical enough to help out in the run game, but he can also cover tight ends. So he can be that guy next to [Jerod] Mayo who can come in and really make a difference in that nickel and dime package. . . . It’s a fantastic move. I think he’ll help the Patriots immediately. I think he’ll hold people accountable.” - Rodney Harrison

I'm not saying Wilson has to start but just the impact Wilson could have.. especially playing alongside Devin McCourty.

Also check out the link on what Pete Carroll and Jeff Fisher said, two NFL COACHES

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Patriots-Today---Coaches-talk-about-Adrian-Wilson/86dc5dd7-65c7-4ed1-874a-947a57874913

He was playing through a shoulder injury for about two years from what I read, and Ken Wisenhunt definitely jumped the gun. But that's just me, I think fully healthy playing with a contender and for Bill Belichick will definitely benefit a veteran force at the safety position like him, just ask Rodney Harrison.

“Adding him, the veteran leadership, the presence, the respect factor, he’s a guy that’s a terrific blitzer, and a physical presence,” Harrison told Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald. “I think he can come in especially during nickel and dime situations, and come down [close to the line] and play that second linebacker position like I did. He’s physical enough to help out in the run game, but he can also cover tight ends. So he can be that guy next to [Jerod] Mayo who can come in and really make a difference in that nickel and dime package. . . . It’s a fantastic move. I think he’ll help the Patriots immediately. I think he’ll hold people accountable.” - Rodney Harrison

I'm not saying Wilson has to start but just the impact Wilson could have.. especially playing alongside Devin McCourty.

Also check out the link on what Pete Carroll and Jeff Fisher said, two NFL COACHES

Patriots Today - Coaches talk about Adrian Wilson

I definitely think that A.Wilson will offer us something of an improvement in some aspect.

I also understand the concerns that many have regarding his loss of a couple steps and his inability to cover nearly as well as in the past.

As you said though, he's a tough, hard-nosed football player, so my guess is that Belichick always has a use for those kinds of guys and will utilize his strengths while hiding some of the weaknesses.

What is interesting about this post is there seems to be some love for Tavon Wilson, remember last year the effort to run BB out of town over this draft pick???

Same can be said for Harrison the year before he joined the Pats. Harrison was a few years younger when joining the Pats.

Two words for the OP: Paragraph breaks. :p

As for the topic, Bill has already tipped his hand with a smarmy, "I think he'll be OK" when asked about Adrian in one of the OTA sessions. Anyone thinking there is even one arse hair's chance that he doesn't make the team can curb those thoughts immediately.

Those who are saying that Adrian wasn't playing quite as well last year are correct, but there is a world of difference between being phased out of a good AZ defense and not being an asset here in NE. I think the team is trying to eliminate Gregory and even if Wilson doesn't step in as a starting safety, NE has also had nickle LB coverage deficiencies for years. There is plenty of room for Adrian to make a significant impact.

he is a upgrade over chung, can he be that Rodney Harrison type signing maybe but Harrison was still playing SS at a high level he's last two seasons with san diego Adrian Wilson has not played at a really high level since 2009 he also maybe that John Lynch type of signing who knows but for right now I see him as a vet backup

He hasn't gotten arrested yet, I think that's awesome

Patriots Today - Coaches talk about Adrian Wilson

rainbow-brite.jpg

enjoy the beach, Deus?...welcome back to Dead Horse Saloon...try not to step in any Hernandez or Tebow carcasses...:biggrin1:

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back