PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Rodgers to retire next week? UPDATE: Not Retiring

Sorry, but you don't get to slight Nelson when Rodgers was calling it a mistake when the Packers let him go.
What do you mean? I said in my initial post most of the guys they let go were done. My argument was that they’ve had awful drafts prompting Ted Thompson’s exit.
Also, see New England Patriots, seasons 2013, 2015, 2016 once Gronk went down, 2018, and 2019
Not sure where you’re going with this. Pats have had better rosters overall than the Packers.

What do you mean? I said in my initial post most of the guys they let go were done. My argument was that they’ve had awful drafts prompting Ted Thompson’s exit.

Not sure where you’re going with this. Pats have had better rosters overall than the Packers.

For those 2010s seasons, let’s imagine an alternate reality scenario where Rodgers and Brady flipped salaries. So the Packers have $10M more and the Patriots have $10M less, based only on QB cost.

Let’s say that Brady also gets $25M for his top two skill players (same price as 2 combo of Nelson/Cobb/Adams/Graham) instead of the $15M he got instead. Rodgers ”weapon spend” is reduced to $15M instead of $25M.

So Brady plus skill player 1/skill player 2 is adjusted to the same cost Packers spent on those.

Rodgers plus skill player 1/skill player 2 is adjusted to the same cost Patriots spent on those.

Result:

Take roughly $20M worth of Patriots non-rookie salaried players and put them on the Packers each of those seasons. Patriots lose the players; Packers gain the players.

Which roster is better now?

The cost to pay Rodgers and give him his weapons was significantly more than the cost to pay Brady and his weapons. Yet Brady and his offense still outperformed Rodgers and his offense.

Last edited:

Rodgers doesn't agree with your assessment. Why should we choose your position over his, when he's the one making the claims?

Furthermore, Nelson had 53 catches on 88 targets in his final season with the Packers, as the team's third leading WR (Adams and Cobb were WR1 and WR2, though it was close in targets between Cobb and Nelson). So your take on that year doesn't hold up to scrutiny, as it's not required that a former WR1 still be playing at a WR1 level in order for him to be good enough as a WR2/WR3.

So you're now jumping from the offensive personnel to the "overall" roster? Come on, now. Just take the "L" on this one.

Last edited:
...I like em.

I actually like Aaron Rodgers and really enjoy watching him play. He does seem to have somewhat of a sensitive personality, but whatever. I kind of hate the idea that people rip on him for "only having 1 Super Bowl", as if winning just one is somehow bad, when like 99.9% of all QBs win zero). He's one of the greatest QBs of all time, obviously not on Tom Brady level but that's just out of reach for basically everyone.

I don't mind Aaron Rodgers having an ego. He deserves it. He's will go into the HOF and end up being in the top half of the QBs in it comfortably. I don't mind him playing hard ball with his organization. Players have so little leverage after signing a deal. Asking for a trade publically, threatening to sit out or retire, and things like that are about the only power a player has. Hell, I don't even mind the way he plays the game. He would rather take a sack at times than throw an incompletion and would rather not take a chance when he should to protect his stat line. Frankly, stats matter in contract talks. Almost all players are super aware of their stats, and they should be. I player can come up with several excuses why he got 9 sacks instead of 13-14. Scheme, assignments, game planning, playing time, ect.... But the player who produces 13 sacks a year doesn't need to come up with excuses. And will almost always get paid more (unless we are talking about completely different positions).

What I do mind about Rodgers is the way he conducts himself on and off the field. And that has crept into everything else. I don't like him cause he is a fairly crumby person.

Last edited:
I don't mind Aaron Rodgers having an ego. He deserves it. He's will go into the HOF and end up being in the top half of the QBs in it comfortably. I don't mind him playing hard ball with his organization. Players have so little leverage after signing a deal. Asking for a trade publically, threatening to sit out or retire, and things like that are about the only power a player has. Hell, I don't even mind the way he plays the game. He would rather take a sack at times than throw an incompletion and would rather not take a chance when he should to protect his stat line. Frankly, stats matter in contract talks. Almost all players are super aware of their stats, and they should be. I player can come up with several excuses why he got 9 sacks instead of 13-14. Scheme, assignments, game planning, playing time, ect.... But the player who produces 13 sacks a year doesn't need to come up with excuses. And will almost always get paid more (unless we are talking about completely different positions).

What I do mind about Rodgers is the way he conducts himself on and off the field. And they has crept into everything else. I don't like him cause he is a fairly crumby person.
excellent points.

I detect some trauma. They say he don’t talk to his family.

... and say what ya want about the “x wants a brand” stuff, but the jeopardy thing looks good on him.

Players have so little leverage after signing a deal. Asking for a trade publically, threatening to sit out or retire, and things like that are about the only power a player has.

In this case, you might consider he was paid $120M in cash in 2018, in exchange for tacking three years onto his contract. I agree that most NFL players get shafted compared to other sports, but this one doesn’t apply. The Packers gave him all that money for longer term commitment. Rodgers is a filthy rich veteran who had many options and chose to cash in. He isn’t an indentured servant.

In this case, you might consider he was paid $120M in cash in 2018, in exchange for tacking three years onto his contract. I agree that most NFL players get shafted compared to other sports, but this one doesn’t apply. The Packers gave him all that money for longer term commitment. Rodgers is a filthy rich veteran who had many options and chose to cash in. He isn’t an indentured servant.
You beat me to the punch because I was going to say the same thing. Being a rookie drafted by a team, then maybe franchised a year, is one thing.... I can't blame those guys for being frustrated at having no control over their careers.... but Rodgers signed a 4 year extension for big bucks and it wasn't even a year afterwards when he started whining.

You beat me to the punch because I was going to say the same thing. Being a rookie drafted by a team, then maybe franchised a year, is one thing.... I can't blame those guys for being frustrated at having no control over their careers.... but Rodgers signed a 4 year extension for big bucks and it wasn't even a year afterwards when he started whining.
Tom Brady happened:rofl:

I assume the bloated cap number provides incentive to trade him, but how much dead cap, I wonder. If it’s something like a $20M dead cap hit, they’re probably still better off keeping him and are just put in a lose-lose bind.

Wow, I'm bafled.

There's almost no way the Packers can/will trade Rodgers until 2023. Next season, 2022, he has a $46M cap hit, but trading him means a $27M dead cap hit regardless.

Voiding the contract year of 2023/preventing franchise tag, for Rodgers, does nothing to get him out of Green Bay for another two years when he's urgently trying to get out now. Especially when Pelissero writes originally, Rodgers would have been able to be traded after this season with no real cap implications.

It seems this is just a poison pill for both sides with no benefit, if the team and Rodgers want to mutually part ways next year and both be in good shape to move forward. The Packers, to take on this type of unprecedented cap carnage, would need to get some a gigantic draft pick return, I don't even know if there'd be a market; any team willing to do it would be crippled, and that would hurt Rodgers ability to have a solid team.

Am I missing something here? Seems like a big Lose-Lose deal that was probably fueled by mistrust. Rodgers not trusting the Packers would trade him after the season, setting up an even greater obstacle for that to happen, just to shave a year off of the commitment. Maybe someone can explain who this benefits and why this benefits them.

1627671058742.png

In 2010, Brady almost threw 40 TD’s with Welker and two rookie TE’s. Rex Ryan said it was very easy to put the game plan together to stop their offense in the AFCDG clogging the middle of the field and make Brady throw to Revis and Cromartie. Pats O got exposed.

Yep; and not always being on the same page with the rookie TEs (Bill, Skippy & Tom lost faith in Crumpler after he dropped that laser-fired TD pass in the 1st quarter) cost them on a couple of crucial, crucial 3rd downs, including the one immediately preceding the botched fake punt attempt...

More on that claim that no one thought the Packers could beat the Bucs and Rodgers lost before he stepped on the field due to the talent difference. The opposite is true.

28 picked the Packers
4 picked the Bucs

1627691607066.png

1627691780980.png

1627691739971.png

1627691563329.png

Last edited:
Ya think gb’s front office ppl said “look what happened with the pats?!?!?! Lock him up!”

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back