PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Lot of Pass Rushers Appear To Be On Trade Market:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schiano would do just fine with Houston and Bennett instead of Flowers and Clayborn. The money would be similar.
====
I suppose that I should point out that we'd also likely pick up a 2020 3rd and a 2020 6th as comp picks.

He would command a lot still... Probably north of 10M a year, but who knows.

Him and Bennet would make a very good duo rushing, but is he versatile enough for us?

Color me intrigued, even if i don't think is all that likely

Flowers is a system pass rusher.
Couldn't disagree more. You could drop him in any system & he'd produce. Not sure how you could watch Flowers for years & come away thinking this.

System pass rusher :eek::rolleyes::eek:

System fit is the big question here though. Guy has played in a 3-4 his entire career.
Bill can always find snaps for a player like Houston.

The bigger question is he a 3 down player here. That I am not sure of.

I don't see us competing with Miami if Flowers hits the open market.
WTF? Sorry, now I get what you'r saying. We can't compete with Miami for Flowers, got it.

Houston’s a pretty good run defender isn’t he?

Is this before or after he was released?

Not that I'd ever suggest fans turn on a departed player, Heaven forbid.
Both. They seem to be OK with him moving on.

They whole fan base is still smarting after the AFCCG. Everyone but Kermit the Frog can go.

Couldn't disagree more. You could drop him in any system & he'd produce. Not sure how you could watch Flowers for years & come away thinking this.

System pass rusher :eek::rolleyes::eek:
Actually he would do better as a pass rusher on many other teams. A lot of teams just turn their best pass rusher loose to worry about nothing else. Bbs system is not pass rusher stat friendly.

System fit is the big question here though. Guy has played in a 3-4 his entire career.
Our system is a hybrid between a 3-3 and 4-2. That other DE is part 43 DE part 34 OLB, depending upon their skill set and the opponent.

Didn't watch his tape last season carefully but PFF has him as the #14 ED in the league. Flowers was #6. Suggests that his production is still high.

Didn't watch his tape last season carefully but PFF has him as the #14 ED in the league. Flowers was #6. Suggests that his production is still high.

He had 12 sacks in 14 games.

If Houston came here I'd have zero problem with that.

I'm just not convinced hes good vs the run.

There's an awful lot of Quality Depth in this years draft for the D-Line. If you want a flowers comp for the draft then your looking at Zach Allen
Great comp choice.
Combine measurables and college production are nearly identical.
Note: the Pats waited until the 4th to grab the very similar Flowers. Great value? Graded as a mid rounder? Why would Allen get graded higher?
I love Allen and see him as a plug a play starter from the get go and a guy who will hold the edge. Smart, tenacious, serious about football....all the intangibles.
His best ACC games were against the conference's best teams. A dominant force vs Clemson.
Questions: arm length? can he drop in coverage?

Great comp choice.
Combine measurables and college production are nearly identical.
Note: the Pats waited until the 4th to grab the very similar Flowers. Great value? Graded as a mid rounder? Why would Allen get graded higher?
I love Allen and see him as a plug a play starter from the get go and a guy who will hold the edge. Smart, tenacious, serious about football....all the intangibles.
His best ACC games were against the conference's best teams. A dominant force vs Clemson.
Questions: arm length? can he drop in coverage?

@BaconGrundleCandy can give you a more in depth knowledge of him, he's been advocating Allen for months.

He is your prototypical Patriot Guy. Reason He's classed as more of your first rounder/early second, is he has a lot better size for a typical DE -

He can play 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, 4-3DT on passing downs as well.

His Arm length is 34 3/4, has slightly longer arms than Trey Does but not by much.

If we lose Flowers then BB needs to sign a bunch of these bums off the scrap heap. Hope one works out .

Flowers is a system pass rusher.
I don’t even know what that means.

A “system” is how the organization or team is run such as practices, team meetings, acquiring players and cutting players that do or do not fit your scheme, how you want players to address the media, etc. . I see a lot of people misusing this term.

I think you meant Flowers is effective due to “scheme” - how coaches put their players in position to succeed or score/stop the other team.

I actually think he can be even more effective in another scheme like a one gap and allows him to pin his ears pack and edge rush more. Flowers has a fantastic bull rush on the edge and he’d stay there if the Pats had a threat inside. If he doesn’t resign with the Pats but signs with a team that has a threat on the other side, it wouldn’t shock me if he surpasses the 10 sack mark.

Last edited:
Omg id love to get Houston. Never gonna happen though.

I don’t even know what that means.

A “system” is how the organization or team is run such as practices, team meetings, acquiring players and cutting players that do or do not fit your scheme, how you want players to address the media, etc. . I see a lot of people misusing this term.

I think you meant Flowers is effective due to “scheme” - how coaches put their players in position to succeed or score/stop the other team.

I actually think he can be even more effective in another scheme like a one gap and allows him to pin his ears pack and edge rush more. Flowers has a fantastic bull rush on the edge and he’d stay there if the Pats had a threat inside. If he doesn’t resign with the Pats but signs with a team that has a threat on the other side, it wouldn’t shock me if he surpasses the 10 sack mark.

Sort of what I meant. What I’m saying is that If there were no system or designed plays. Flowers would suck even worse than brady would. I’ve went into tirades, diatribes and unintelligible rants about the system quarterback thing.
It seems that the school of thought is that we win because of the system devised by the team. No other teams do this

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back