PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Frustrating Observation On N'Keal Harry

Think about it , most high draft picks have been flops( 1-3). The successes I am highlighting lower round picks , failures restricted to top 3.

A grades

Mac
Barmore
Dugger
Harris
Onwenu
Rham
Sony michel

B grades

Bentley
Bailey
Wynn

B -
Uche
Wino

C -

Stidham

Flops

Harry
Joejuan
Cyrus jones
Easley
Jordan Richards
Duke Dawson
Rivers
Cajuste
Asiasi
Keene
Jennings

What is helping us are the UDFA CB hits in Butler, Jonathan Jones, JC Jackson and Meyers.

Gunner considering his draft status can be considered a hit but if he does not show potential as a runner , his spot will be in jeopardy next season.

Think about it , most high draft picks have been flops( 1-3). The successes I am highlighting lower round picks , failures restricted to top 3.

A grades

Mac
Barmore
Dugger
Harris
Onwenu
Rham
Sony michel

B grades

Bentley
Bailey
Wynn

B -
Uche
Wino

C -

Stidham

Flops

Harry
Joejuan
Cyrus jones
Easley
Jordan Richards
Duke Dawson
Rivers
Cajuste
Asiasi
Keene
Jennings

What is helping us are the UDFA CB hits in Butler, Jonathan Jones, JC Jackson and Meyers.

Gunner considering his draft status can be considered a hit but if he does not show potential as a runner , his spot will be in jeopardy next season.
Most draft picks fail. The average career lasts three years, do the math. WR’s fail at a higher rate than almost every other position.

Gunner is a free agent, if he leaves it will be for a big contract the Pats don’t match… not performance. Fans who don’t think special teams matter aren’t knowledgeable fans. Gunner has a full time job already.

Most draft picks fail. The average career lasts three years, do the math. WR’s fail at a higher rate than almost every other position.

Gunner is a free agent, if he leaves it will be for a big contract the Pats don’t match… not performance. Fans who don’t think special teams matter aren’t knowledgeable fans. Gunner has a full time job already.
Yep. Gunner's off year still has him 2nd in the league ave punt return. Thats 6th, 1st, and 2nd in PR return ave his 1st 3 seasons. He already has plenty of value to the team.

If he could do what Wilk did this past Sunday he'd be so much more valuable to the offense....and make more money as a FA.

Yep. Gunner's off year still has him 2nd in the league ave punt return. Thats 6th, 1st, and 2nd in PR return ave his 1st 3 seasons. He already has plenty of value to the team.

If he could do what Wilk did this past Sunday he'd be so much more valuable to the offense....and make more money as a FA.
I just have a feeling wilk could take over gunners spot if he improves his hands of stone reputation . Really want gunner to be next Edelman but looks like that won't be the case.

Good luck to gunner on his next team .

Chad Jackson instead of Greg Jennings.

What are you talking about here? Yes, Chad Jackson bombed, but he was considered a steal in that draft. I was high-fiving people when they drafted him. He was the second WR drafted and he fell to #36 (the Pats picked the pick up from the Packers). Prior to the draft, many draftniks had him being the first WR taken and definitely in the first round. In fact, when the Steelers picked Santonio Holmes ahead of him at #25, the consensus was that they screwed up.

BTW - I notice that you compare Chad Jackson to Greg Jennings. Did you know that 6-time Pro Bowler Brandon Marshall was selected in the 4th round at #119? Jennings only made it to the Pro Bowl twice.

Let's just agree that the NFL draft is a crapshoot and be done with it.

I just have a feeling wilk could take over gunners spot if he improves his hands of stone reputation . Really want gunner to be next Edelman but looks like that won't be the case.

Good luck to gunner on his next team .
If Wilk keeps having games like he did on Sunday he'll be WR4

With that said Wilk never PR'd or KR'd at SEMO or in preseason here so if he beats out Gun for returns it'll have been from out of nowhere.

Last edited:

With that said Wilk never PR'd or KR'd at SEMO or in preseason here so if he beats out Gun for returns it'll have been from out of nowhere.
Special teams is what happens while these guys are getting drink refills... much like salary cap or other teams draft misses, if they don't notice it then it doesn't really exist.

What are you talking about here? Yes, Chad Jackson bombed, but he was considered a steal in that draft. I was high-fiving people when they drafted him. He was the second WR drafted and he fell to #36 (the Pats picked the pick up from the Packers). Prior to the draft, many draftniks had him being the first WR taken and definitely in the first round. In fact, when the Steelers picked Santonio Holmes ahead of him at #25, the consensus was that they screwed up.

BTW - I notice that you compare Chad Jackson to Greg Jennings. Did you know that 6-time Pro Bowler Brandon Marshall was selected in the 4th round at #119? Jennings only made it to the Pro Bowl twice.

Let's just agree that the NFL draft is a crapshoot and be done with it.
Yeah that draft is overblown by a lot of people. All the WR's and RB's after Homes and Bush had their red flags and Jackson/Maroney were rated at the top after Bush/Homes. My speculation on why the Pats took Maroney and Jackson is because they needed to keep up with the Colts after taking a beating at Gillette and had no firepower against the Broncos in their divisional loss. Both Maroney and Jackson were considered the big play guys with less millage than D'Angelo Williams and Maurice Jones-Drew. Greg Jennings had the question of whether he could separate. Brandon Marshall dropped due to character issues.

I was a big Maroney fan until after the 2007 season. If he can't have a big year running behind that team where the D is focusing on a historic passing game, he never will. And he didn't.

I was also a big fan of Jackson, but some on the board had said he was an idiot, clueless in training camp and had a bad attitude. He did show a lot of promise when he played until his hamstring kept keeping him out and then the ACL tear KO'd his career. I heard he couldn't cut after that injury.

Fun facts: D'Angelo Williams sad he hates the Pats because they didn't take him. Jennings also said he wanted to be drafted by the Pats.

Yeah that draft is overblown by a lot of people. All the WR's and RB's after Homes and Bush had their red flags and Jackson/Maroney were rated at the top after Bush/Homes. My speculation on why the Pats took Maroney and Jackson is because they needed to keep up with the Colts after taking a beating at Gillette and had no firepower against the Broncos in their divisional loss. Both Maroney and Jackson were considered the big play guys with less millage than D'Angelo Williams and Maurice Jones-Drew. Greg Jennings had the question of whether he could separate. Brandon Marshall dropped due to character issues.

I was a big Maroney fan until after the 2007 season. If he can't have a big year running behind that team where the D is focusing on a historic passing game, he never will. And he didn't.

I was also a big fan of Jackson, but some on the board had said he was an idiot, clueless in training camp and had a bad attitude. He did show a lot of promise when he played until his hamstring kept keeping him out and then the ACL tear KO'd his career. I heard he couldn't cut after that injury.

Fun facts: D'Angelo Williams sad he hates the Pats because they didn't take him. Jennings also said he wanted to be drafted by the Pats.

Mel Kiper gave the Patriots a B grade after the 2006 draft:
New England Patriots: GRADE: B
Laurence Maroney, selected at No. 21, gives the Patriots a security blanket at running back. WR Chad Jackson was a nice pick in the second round and could have gone in the middle of the first. TE Dave Thomas has excellent hands, while Garret Mills might be more of a fullback. Kicker Stephen Gostkowski was a reach in the fourth round (I didn't think any kickers would get drafted). New England had a great first day and a good second day.

BTW - prior to this draft, ESPN had a pre-draft workout show that I happened to watch. The "winners" at WR and kicker on that show? Chad Jackson & Stephen Gostkowski by a wide margin. When the Pats managed to draft both of them, I couldn't believe their luck. At least one out of two worked out in the end. :)

I found Chad's video!

I'm not at all opposed to that trade, but this is an interesting set of statlines to consider:

View attachment 39511

View attachment 39512

I don't know that we'd gain much. :confused:
Trading your trash for their trash. Hopefully, a change of scenery helps one or both of them. Maybe they would be a better fit in the new location. From what everyone said, Harry's strengths(what? contested catches?) never really fit what the Pats try to do. Isabella was supposed to be a quick twitch slot guy in the Pats mold so..............

Hes 225. Maybe he can put on 15lbs of muscle and still maintain some speed and some agility. That'll get him to h-back level.

Blocking TEs need to be in the 250+ range.

Sorry, just don't see it.

It was a reach. Seems like he isn't afraid of the physical side, so a role more attuned to that could be worth the shot. H-Back is interesting. It's a case of where can the Pats limit his liabilities and play to his strengths.

Though, you'd think BB/McD would have done this already. Probably going to keep him on the roster / mostly scratched until they can quietly release him.

It was a reach. Seems like he isn't afraid of the physical side, so a role more attuned to that could be worth the shot. H-Back is interesting. It's a case of where can the Pats limit his liabilities and play to his strengths.

Though, you'd think BB/McD would have done this already. Probably going to keep him on the roster / mostly scratched until they can quietly release him.
When they release him, it won't be quiet despite their efforts.

Lover Gunner, but if he leaves we should look at Britain Covey (Univ Utah) as a KR/Slot.

I think Harry is totally fine with contact. It's using his body as leverage and positioning it for catching the football and creating space for himself that is the issue
Aside from QB, H-Back and TE are the hardest positions to learn in this offense. Lots of reads and knowing what to do, line up ,etc. Those aren't exactly strengths of Harry's game.

Agreed, but did I just hear on Weei that Wilk was sent back to the PS?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back