PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8/15 - Thursday Pats/Titans Joint Session Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't we try Dorsett at PR or KR? Is his frame too small to sustain big hits or something?

Lol What? Thomas is done. Hi stats have been steadily declining over the last few years, he is 31 and he is coming off a major injury. While Gordon was definitely not 2013 Gordon last year, he was solid down the stretch. On top of that he already has a year in the offense and worked with Brady. I don't even think the two are close.

But now he goes from the Trevor semien, Paxton Lynch And case Keenums of the world to the GOAT.

Lol What? Thomas is done. Hi stats have been steadily declining over the last few years, he is 31 and he is coming off a major injury. While Gordon was definitely not 2013 Gordon last year, he was solid down the stretch. On top of that he already has a year in the offense and worked with Brady. I don't even think the two are close.
Gordon can disappear in an instant.
Thomas stats have been affected by QB issues.

If Thomas starts practicing and comes up to full speed, the WR position is sure to shed some talented players.

Edelman is a lock.
Harry is a lock (will he start on PUP, perhaps? Hamstring injuries can linger.)

After that, I've got (not in terms of "best" but as in who I expect nearest to locks.
3. Thomas - if the above is correct.

4. Dorsett

5. Meyers - I can't see them letting this kid walk, and I doubt they'd get him to his practice squad.

6/7/8. Harris (better get back on the field!), Inman, Berrios

If Gordon gets reinstated, and the rest are all healthy, the world goes crazy.

Edelman
Gordon
Thomas
Harry
Meyers
Dorsett might wind up out.

If the Ghost of Demarius Thomas is our #2 WR, going into this season the Pats are in deep trouble. I'd be happy with him being our 4 or 5 down the stretch after T-giving.

I don't see him as "done" like 203pats does above, in fact he could turn out to be some very important late season depth injection.

Clearly you see wide receivers on the roster that aren’t there.

Clearly you see wide receivers on the roster that aren’t there.

Yeah, and since late December I've suited up in football pads just as many times as Demarius has.

Sorry, he is a good project for later in the season. Counting on him as #2 WR at this point is fairly ridiculous. Let alone the Achilles and his age, he has never gotten a rep with Tom Brady to this point.

I'm rooting for him. The Patriots could always use his skill set. But let's keep it in perspective.

Dorsett and Cooks both ran a 4.33 at the NFL Combine - that is a computer time so it is reliable. Cook's 3Cone was 6.76 while Dorsett's was 6.70. Cooks might be an overall better receiver, but running a deep route I see little difference and the testing numbers confirm. Why do you think there is a big difference in separation? Dorsett is a great human being, a great teammate, signed a team friendly deal and "is what he is". Why the hate?

I agree.

PF2 is virulently anti-Dorsett, and facts won't change that.

Why don't we try Dorsett at PR or KR? Is his frame too small to sustain big hits or something?

I don't remember whether it was PR or KR, but there was a report of him working as one of them earlier in camp.

If Thomas starts practicing and comes up to full speed, the WR position is sure to shed some talented players.

Edelman is a lock.

After that, I've got (not in terms of "best" but as in who I expect nearest to locks.

4. Dorsett

5. Meyers - I can't see them letting this kid walk, and I doubt they'd get him to his practice squad.

Edelman
Gordon
Thomas
Harry
Meyers

I think they need to hold onto Berrios, certainly over Harris, and develop him into an Amendola/Edelman type. Plus he can handle Punt returns and increase the chances that Edelman will stay healthy...

You are basically saying that we should ignore all acquisitions until they play games. Belichick knows the situations. We only speculate. Edelman is not on the field. Should we expect anything from Edelman.

For me, I expect Thomas to be a contributor. Yes, I think he can be counted on to be a minor contributor. If fully healthy, he would be a key part of our offense.

Can someone please answer this question: as of today, why do you have any faith at all in Josh Gordon or Demaryius Thomas? Until they suit up, they are non factors.

Every year, we say that we should keep a PR. Every year, Belichick decides that Edelman is our #1 PR. That's just the way it is.

And, no, a backup PR is not worth a roster spot.

Besides, I suspect that there are others who can be backup PR's, Harry for one.

I think they need to hold onto Berrios, certainly over Harris, and develop him into an Amendola/Edelman type. Plus he can handle Punt returns and increase the chances that Edelman will stay healthy...

Edelman is a lock.

4. Dorsett

Edelman
Gordon
Thomas
Harry
Meyers

Honestly, with a roster exemption, I can see the Patriots very happily letting Goodell take his sweet time on the reinstatement of Gordon until Thanksgiving - - this gives more time for someone to emerge and also, someone is going to be injured along the way. Why not have Gordon as an additional free space option until these eventualities happen or not by the moment BB's annual crunch time occurs?

The other, sadly realistic part, is that it shortens the time period of worrying about Gordon keeping it together. There's more confidence for 12 weeks than there are for 22 weeks. Let this be a step forward year for him and hopefully next year he can be consistently reliable.

You are basically saying that we should ignore all acquisitions until they play games. Belichick knows the situations. We only speculate. Edelman is not on the field. Should we expect anything from Edelman.

For me, I expect Thomas to be a contributor. Yes, I think he can be counted on to be a minor contributor. If fully healthy, he would be a key part of our offense.

A thumb is not an achilles.

Edelman has years and years of chemistry with Brady in all sorts of crunch time situations. OTA reps, TC reps, game reps, practice reps.........

Other than that, the analogy was spot on!

Gordon can disappear in an instant.
Thomas stats have been affected by QB issues.
He averaged 6.5 more ypc than DT did last season and only averaged half a catch per game less (3.4 vs 3.9). So who is the one who disappears?

Are we going to see what we saw last year? leaning on the running game and PA passes with the defense making plays? or will we see more deep passes? There is more size at WR compared to last year.

Dorsett and Cooks both ran a 4.33 at the NFL Combine - that is a computer time so it is reliable. Cook's 3Cone was 6.76 while Dorsett's was 6.70. Cooks might be an overall better receiver, but running a deep route I see little difference and the testing numbers confirm. Why do you think there is a big difference in separation? Dorsett is a great human being, a great teammate, signed a team friendly deal and "is what he is". Why the hate?

I agree.
Combine stats are great and all but one is a highly productive NFL receiver who has done it on 3 different teams while the other was a first round reach who is a solid role player but in all likelihood will never approach half the production Cooks has had.

OK, presuming that Gordon is still suspended, we will have to cut three out of
Harris, Meyers, Dorsett, Inman and Berrios.

First, the top 3 WR's get over 90% of the reps. The #4 and #5 WR's get almost no reps over the course of the season. Barring injuries, I would expect the same with Edelman, Thomas and Harry.

So, yes. Most here will likely see one of their favs cut. Some of us will guess which TWO to save, be the backup in case of injury, and perhaps have a serious role in a game or two depending on matchups.

Personally, I would keep Harris and Dorsett. However, I could see Belichick using the 5th WR spot for Myers, who he would hope to develop over the course of the next year, likely without being active.

Edelman
Gordon
Thomas
Harry
Meyers

OK, presuming that Gordon is still suspended, we will have to cut three out of
Harris, Meyers, Dorsett, Inman and Berrios.

First, the top 3 WR's get over 90% of the reps. The #4 and #5 WR's get almost no reps over the course of the season. Barring injuries, I would expect the same with Edelman, Thomas and Harry.

So, yes. Most here will likely see one of their favs cut. Some of us will guess which TWO to save, be the backup in case of injury, and perhaps have a serious role in a game or two depending on matchups.

Personally, I would keep Harris and Dorsett. However, I could see Belichick using the 5th WR spot for Myers, who he would hope to develop over the course of the next year, likely without being active.
If only we had 2013-2014 Thomas

Do you truly not understand the Gordon could disappear at any time because of OFF THE FIELD ISSUES?

He averaged 6.5 more ypc than DT did last season and only averaged half a catch per game less (3.4 vs 3.9). So who is the one who disappears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back