PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Seek Interviews With Both McDaniels And Caserio

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they bring in both Josh and Nick and Nick wants to get Jimmy, that may be a great opportunity for all involved to build up a team.

If the owner doesn't screw it up. That's the issue in SF.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that it's a **** move for other teams to be allowed to show interest and interview coaches that are still in the thick of their season!?!

Are GMs free to leave a job for the same position in another organization or does the landing organization have to trade picks ? If we somehow get their #2 overall pick (and maybe something in 2018 or a player BB likes) for a package of Nick, Josh and Jimmy, would it be worth losing Nick (who has been doing great job in the drafts and trade/FA moves) ? Is NC's replacement already in the organization, or BB would be able to keep doing well in terms of personnel management without Caserio ? I always thought he would stick around and get the "official" GM job the day BB retires.

They don't owe any picks when you're promoted to a higher position. All we could hope for is Josh really does love Jimmy as QB and gives up a ton for him if he and Nick leave.

If the owner doesn't screw it up. That's the issue in SF.
Agreed - not the best ownership - but if you've got "your guys" at GM and QB then that is at least mostly mitigated...

As much as we beat on Kraft, there aren't many owners as good as him. A lot of really ****ty ones.

I think BB owes it to these guys to tell them realistically his plans for the future.
For instance if he says 3 or 4 years maybe they both wait that out with assurance the jobs are theirs.

However if BB says they will have to drag me off the field

Are GMs free to leave a job for the same position in another organization or does the landing organization have to trade picks ? If we somehow get their #2 overall pick (and maybe something in 2018 or a player BB likes) for a package of Nick, Josh and Jimmy, would it be worth losing Nick (who has been doing great job in the drafts and trade/FA moves) ? Is NC's replacement already in the organization, or BB would be able to keep doing well in terms of personnel management without Caserio ? I always thought he would stick around and get the "official" GM job the day BB retires.

Caserio doesn't have final say now. If he's offered a position where he has final say on personnel, it's considered a promotion and thus no compensation is required.

I'm not sure who Caserio's heir is; considering that he interviewed two years ago for a few positions (Dolphins being one I recall), I figure there is a succession plan in place, I just don't know who. For McDaniels the prevailing story is that Brian Daboll would be the successor, even if not explicitly given the title immediately (although since he does have past OC experience, I'd be surprised if he didn't get the title and full responsibility).

Caserio doesn't have final say now. If he's offered a position where he has final say on personnel, it's considered a promotion and thus no compensation is required.

I'm not sure who Caserio's heir is; considering that he interviewed two years ago for a few positions (Dolphins being one I recall), I figure there is a succession plan in place, I just don't know who. For McDaniels the prevailing story is that Brian Daboll would be the successor, even if not explicitly given the title immediately (although since he does have past OC experience, I'd be surprised if he didn't get the title and full responsibility).
We didn't know who caserio was before he moved up

Let's hope daboll isn't the choice. He has been a terrible OC everywhere he has gone.

We didn't know who caserio was before he moved up

Let's hope daboll isn't the choice. He has been a terrible OC everywhere he has gone.

Yeah, let's hope Daboll has grown and will be better on the job this time around if it does come to pass; the same way we're all hoping McDaniels will have learned and will be better as HC the 2nd time around (like BB). Ultimately, one thing to remember is that BB explicitly passed up on Daboll in 2005 in favor of McDaniels, and McDaniels didn't get the OC title in 2005, so BB clearly thought Daboll wasn't ready at that time.

Yeah, let's hope Daboll has grown and will be better on the job this time around if it does come to pass; the same way we're all hoping McDaniels will have learned and will be better as HC the 2nd time around (like BB). Ultimately, one thing to remember is that BB explicitly passed up on Daboll in 2005 in favor of McDaniels, and McDaniels didn't get the OC title in 2005, so BB clearly thought Daboll wasn't ready at that time.
I don't have any hopes for McDaniels. He leaves he is the enemy. It's us and it's the rest of them.

Daboll 4 years with 3 different teams as OC.
Ranks
Points 32,31,29,20
Yards 32,29,24,22

His teams combined w/l. 18-46

I think the rule allowing teams to interview coaches during their BYE week is fair. Your team has earned an extra week off, but that doesn't mean you should be guaranteed the advantage of a "distraction free" extra week preparing for future opponents. The assistants have earned the right to interview during this off week. In addition it's better for the balance of the league. We still dominate.

These interviews are so common and movement around the league (whether it be player or coach) is routine today that they should no longer be a distraction. Everybody knows the process and should appreciate that it is a now business for everyone.

I just listened to Jed York interview on NFL Network --- my goodness, if Josh & Caserio went there, they would be crazy.

One gem: The guy admits to not knowing I have and his only reason for not making a change to his CEO position is you don't fire owners and that's just the way it is.

I believe Josh is pretty smart, he won't be going there.

Daboll 4 years with 3 different teams as OC.
Ranks
Points 32,31,29,20
Yards 32,29,24,22

His teams combined w/l. 18-46
Yuck. Hopefully there is another plan in place.

I just listened to Jed York interview on NFL Network --- my goodness, if Josh & Caserio went there, they would be crazy.

One gem: The guy admits to not knowing I have and his only reason for not making a change to his CEO position is you don't fire owners and that's just the way it is.

I believe Josh is pretty smart, he won't be going there.

Heh.... Reminds me of the time someone asks Jerry Jones what he would have done if someone else had his record as a GM, and Jerry said he would have fired him. Then the next day Jerry clarified that he is still the GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe