PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers may trade Garoppolo to highest bidder in the offseason

It sounds like they're having trouble signing him. JAG is well represented and this is a dumb idea. Pay him and shut up about it.

He hasn't done anything in this league. He won a game off a missed field goal against a declining Cardinals, and then had a good showing against the Dolphins before being injured by halftime.

He's not worth top dollar. Patriots fans have to understand the hype was never market value. There's just as much likelyhood that anyone out of the draft is just as good if not better and they would get a cheaper contract with them.

49ers won't trade him, they need so many pieces they need to trade that high pick for more picks not use it on a QB.

With a potential pick among the top two in the 2018 NFL draft and roughly $60 million in salary-cap space in the offseason, the 49ers ultimately could decide to draft their quarterback of the future or use some of their money to sign a free-agent quarterback such as Washington's Kirk Cousins, sources said.

If the 49ers decide to not sign Garoppolo to a long-term deal, they could use a franchise tag on him and then dangle him to the highest bidder in a trade. If they were to do that, there would be interest, sources said, and they could possibly get back more than the second-round pick they surrendered.”

If they tag and trade him they will get back less than they paid.

Hard to square this with not playing JG before hand to see what they've got before risking a #1 on a pig in a poke.
Kirk Cousins isn't a "pig in a poke."

The predominant take on why BB handled this decision personally and called only SF is exactly the opposite to this speculations. His close relationship with Shanahans and Lynch should not only benefit Jimmy but also Pats to not see JG on the market esp. AFC East market.

Of course anything can happen but Id go with this at the moment. Id also believe there was a great deal of gentleman's agreement involved in this trade (Hoyer a good example if needed) and not trading JG at least to Pats division if not conference would be one part of it. Maybe cynics would call this naive thinking but there's a lot of old fashioned moral conduct around BB..
Why is that the “predominate take”?

I'm sure Yee and JG want to sign fast and not show how average he is when he gets the chance to start. Maybe 49ers already know there are better options for the future.

A classic media leak to get Jimmy's agent into a room on level ground (in the negotiations) to begin long term extension talks. Basically telling them we don't care if you test the waters, we can still control your destiny. I see this as nothing but a negotiating ploy (but who knows).

I do kit think the qb from usc is not coming out in the 2018 draft.

Unless San Fran wants to roll the dice on Rosen from UCLA they really need to franchise jimmy,

Why would anyone trade for JG?

Basically the only reason 49ers would have for making the trade is if what they have seen from him in practice is that he isn't a good QB.

So why would someone pay 22m + draft picks for a QB the other team thinks isn't good?o_O

So I've read 3 headlines in the last 24 hours, and then multiples of those 3...

"9ers might trade garapollo"
"9ers want to trade for Brady"
"9ers think Garapollo is their franchise QB..."

It is possible that one of these three narratives has some predictive power. It might be possible that none of them do (i.e., somehow they gave up a 1 for JAG but don't plan to trade him and don't believe he's a possible franchise QB. I guess you can give up a 2 for a guy just to have him around.)

I think we learn more as we go, and maybe don't really know which narrative is the working hypothesis until September 2018. I'm going with Occam for now, and assuming they traded for Jimmy G because they want him to play QB.

So I've read 3 headlines in the last 24 hours, and then multiples of those 3...

"9ers might trade garapollo"
"9ers want to trade for Brady"
"9ers think Garapollo is their franchise QB..."

It is possible that one of these three narratives has some predictive power. It might be possible that none of them do (i.e., somehow they gave up a 1 for JAG but don't plan to trade him and don't believe he's a possible franchise QB. I guess you can give up a 2 for a guy just to have him around.)

I think we learn more as we go, and maybe don't really know which narrative is the working hypothesis until September 2018. I'm going with Occam for now, and assuming they traded for Jimmy G because they want him to play QB.
They are going to franchise Garoppolo then trade him to the patriots for Brady.

They are going to franchise Garoppolo then trade him to the patriots for Brady.

FOXBOROUGH - Bill Belichick treated reporters to wry humor again from the podium today. When a member of the press asked if the Patriots planned to trade Brady for Garoppolo in the coming offseason, Belichick could not help himself.

"We'll give them a number two," he said. "Maybe not the same one they shipped to us."

Belichick enlisted daughter Amanda's help to put a fine point on the comment through the social media app Twitter.

0081787303171_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg

said the Patriots' head coach.

Options.

49ers play JAG and he does bad and they try to trade him... They get less than we gave
49ers play JAG and he does well and they try to trade him.... maybe they get more but why trade a good QB? that be silly in their situation.
49ers dont play JAG and try to trade him... why would they get more than a high 2nd when that is the best we could get and he cost a lot less for games?
49ers don't play JAG and don't try him... Well okay. Just have to see next year. But if they don't intend to give him a chance to start why give up that high a pick.

I don't see why they trade him and get more. Not really possible. If they do get more it is only cause he played very well in which case why trade him?

I would feel terrible for Jimmy if SF actually thinks about doing this to him. He deserves better than to be treated like ish.

Why would you feel terrible for him?
What exactly has Jimmy G done to "deserve" anything?
His professional team needed him for 4 games and he could only had 1.5 to offer.
He played at a college that was a mid-major compared to real mid-majors.
He was a 2-star unranked QB coming out of high school (it was an all time weak year for the QB position so that's even more alarming).
He's a good looking dude so that means he deserves "a look."

Sorry for having empathy for a dude that's been willing to sit behind Brady and just do his job while players with seemingly half his talent get to play the game week in and week out.

fake news. john lynch said the niners were scouting jimmy G and doing research on him for months prior to the trade.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back