PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teams looking to move up in the draft?

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The 3rd pick in this years draft is shaping up to be a pretty potent pick, with three QBs expected to taken in the win, place, show spots... JJ McCarthy is looking to join in on the QB sweepstakes as well...

I am not advocating that we trade the pick... I think we need to take BPA - if the QB we have targeted is there, we should take him... If not, BPA... However, with guys like Curran pushing the idea of trading out of 3, and rebuilding over an extended period, makes on curious what could other teams offer...

Led me to think though about what ammo other teams have to move up - looking at this years draft picks, not to future picks, in order to understand what type of return could be possible... The most likely candidates looking to move up?

Most likely trade candidates

Las Vegas Raiders - in need of a QB, a so-so slate of picks in this years draft, but nothing really enticing
• Have picks 13, 44(r2), 77(r3), 112(r4), 148(r5), 208(r6), 223 & 229(r7)

Denver Broncos - in need of a QB, though after the trade for Russell Wilson a few years ago, I don;t think they can afford it
• Have picks 12, 76 (r3), 121 (r4), 136 & 145 (r5), 203, 207 (r6)

NY Giants - Looking to replace Daniel Jones? Most likely, Need to replace Barkley, a lot of chatter about them wanting to move up, and I consider them to be players in this years draft...Daboll might be coaching for his job, and a bold move might be in order to keep it...
• Have picks 6, 47(r2), 70(r3), 107(r4), 166(r5), 183(r6)

Minnesota Vikings, need to replace Kirk Cousins, the most rumored to be looking to trade up
• Have picks 11 & 23, 108 & 129(r4), 157 &167(r5), 177(r6), 230 &232(r7)

Tennessee Titans - Dumped Henry, have Levis as a QB, Mason Rudolph as a back up... could be looking for an upgrade? probably not... but might want a skill position player or a LT possibly?
• Have picks 7, 38(r2), 196(r4), 146(r5), 182(r6), 221, 227 & 242(r7)

Seattle Seahawks - Looking to move on from Geno Smith? An iffy candidate imo, but with a new coach etc, they might want to make a move... sit a rookie for a year while Smith is there to act as a bridge...
• Have picks 16, 81(3), 102(r4), 179(r6), 235(r7)

Washington - Have the number 2 overall and two second round picks... Don't think they will move from 2, but its plausible they trade back if they aren't sold on anyone

Chicago Bears - Have the number 1 & 9 overall, not much after that... Might they want to move back to the top of the draft to give him a weapon or a potential franchise LT? eh... they don't hold a lot of picks, so very doubtful, but they have been very active in trading picks... With Fields gone, the one pick is a lock, but the 9 spot might be in play...

Not a lot of teams have an abundance of picks this year... least not the teams that are what I consider potential movers... Any trade would have to include at least next years 1... while having multiple 1's is a nice problem, pretty sure I don't want to wait until next year to realize that type of bounty...

Last edited:
Seems like the Broncos are the most serious, with Minnesota maybe losing some urgency after extending Jefferson. I think Jefferson’s ire scared them, but that chatter seems to have died down after they apparently got that deal done.

The Giants remain interesting…but I think Payton is going to potentially make a move. Albeit, I don’t know if he’ll part with enough to entice them. But curious to see how it plays out.

If the Patriots do opt to trade down, I'd like to see them use that extra draft capital to then move up from #34.

Moving up to the middle of round one should be enough to get one of the top four OTs. Sticking at #34 and they would have to settle for about the #9 (or lower) OT.

If the Patriots do opt to trade down, I'd like to see them use that extra draft capital to then move up from #34.

Moving up to the middle of round one should be enough to get one of the top four OTs. Sticking at #34 and they would have to settle for about the #9 (or lower) OT.
I'd be very happy if we did the equivalent of the 2012 draft with Chandler Jones and Hightower but on offense and probably slightly higher than 21st and 25th.

The 3rd pick in this years draft is shaping up to be a pretty potent pick, with three QBs expected to taken in the win, place, show spots... JJ McCarthy is looking to join in on the QB sweepstakes as well...

I am not advocating that we trade the pick... I think we need to take BPA - if the QB we have targeted is there, we should take him... If not, BPA... However, with guys like Curran pushing the idea of trading out of 3, and rebuilding over an extended period, makes on curious what could other teams offer...

Led me to think though about what ammo other teams have to move up - looking at this years draft picks, not to future picks, in order to understand what type of return could be possible... The most likely candidates looking to move up?

Las Vegas Raiders - in need of a QB, a so-so slate of picks in this years draft, but nothing really enticing

Denver Broncos - in need of a QB, though after the trade for Russell Wilson a few years ago, I don;t think they can afford it

NY Giants - Looking to replace Daniel Jones? Most likely, Need to replace Barkley, a lot of chatter about them wanting to move up, and I consider them to be players in this years draft...Daboll might be coaching for his job, and a bold move might be in order to keep it...

Minnesota Vikings, need to replace Kirk Cousins, the most rumored to be looking to trade up

Tennessee Titans - Dumped Henry, have Pickett as a QB... could be looking for an upgrade?

Seattle Seahawks - Looking to move on from Geno Smith? An iffy candidate imo, but with a new coach etc, they might want to make a move... sit a rookie for a year while Smith is there to act as a bridge...

Washington - Have the number 2 overall and two second round picks... Don't think they will move from 2, but its plausible they trade back if they aren't sold on anyone

Chicago Bears - Have the number 1 & 9 overall, not much after that... Might they want to move back to the top of the draft to give him a weapon or a potential franchise LT? eh... they don't hold a lot of picks, so very doubtful, but they have been very active in trading picks... With Fields gone, the one pick is a lock, but the 9 spot might be in play...

Not a lot of teams have an abundance of picks this year... least not the teams that are what I consider potential movers... Any trade would have to include at least next years 1... while having multiple 1's is a nice problem, pretty sure I don't want to wait until next year to realize that type of bounty...
If you want to move into #3, it's going to cost you, at least if I am Eliot Wolf. The multi headed monster at three is likely one of Maye and Daniels, plus MHJ or Alt for those needing WR or OT, and those all are positions of dire need for Foxboro. To me, multiple 1's is the price tag to get me out of #3. If I don't love Maye or Daniels, then it's Alt or MHJ and then Nix or Penix at 34, with 68 then going to best OT or WR, the opposite of what I picked in R1. Either way, I fill a position of need with an NFL ready player, and if teams want me out of that spot, they must pay.

Minnesota 11, 23 and next year's R1. Titans? 7, 38, next year's 1 and 3. Seattle? 16, 81, 2025 1 and 2. You get the drift. I don't care if it's robbery. Look at the Chiefs/Bills trade that netted Mahomes. (someone else posted this). Buffalo hit each pick, still lost the trade.

I really want 3 R1 picks to come out of this spot. Don't care who's paying the tax, but it's way higher if it's the Jete. ;)

Last edited:
Just curious why 3 is the sweet spot? If I'm giving up that much to move up I want pick 1 or 2.

I expect us to use our 68 to move into the 20's.

Pretty clear where I stand on this, and although it’s difficult for me to evaluate it looks like Daniels is answering all the questions about his arm strength and velocity, including the middle tier throws. Maye goes tomorrow.

If you want to move into #3, it's going to cost you, at least if I am Eliot Wolf. The multi headed monster at three is likely one of Maye and Daniels, plus MHJ or Alt for those needing WR or OT, as those all are positions of dire need for Foxboro. To me, multiple 1's is the price tag to get me out of #3. If I don't love Maye or Daniels, then it's Alt or MHJ and then Nix or Penix at 34, with 68 then going to best OT or WR, the opposite of what I picked in R1. Either way, I fill a position of need with an NFL ready player, and if teams want me out of that spot, they must pay.

Minnesota 11, 23 and next year's R1. Titans? 7, 38, next year's 1 and 3. Seattle? 16, 81, 2025 1 and 2. You get the drift. I don't care if it's robbery. Look at the Chiefs/Bills trade that netted Mahomes. (someone else posted this). Buffalo hit each pick, still lost the trade.

I really want 3 R1 picks to come out of this spot. Don't care who's paying the tax, but it's way higher if it's the Jete. ;)
MIN 11, 23, 2025 1st and one more pick (perhaps one of MIN's 2024 4ths
========
I still wouldn't trade if I liked one of the top 4 much more than Nix and Penix

Seems like the Broncos are the most serious, with Minnesota maybe losing some urgency after extending Jefferson. I think Jefferson’s ire scared them, but that chatter seems to have died down after they apparently got that deal done.

The Giants remain interesting…but I think Payton is going to potentially make a move. Albeit, I don’t know if he’ll part with enough to entice them. But curious to see how it plays out.
Denver is definitely the most desperate but their cupboards are not fully stocked. They have pick 12, but then nothing til the third round.

I guess you could do something like... Pick 12, their 3rd rounder, their 4th rounder, their three 5th rounders, and their 1st next year and in 2026, and Courtland Sutton or Patrick Surtain. The value's a little weird but you get a lot of picks and you could use those 5ths as your toss-ins to trade up with your 3rd rounders to make them extra 2nd rounders, your 4th rounders into 3rd rounders etc. But I don't know if Denver wants that either since it basically means they're getting a QB and nothing else this year. Although - if anyone would do something that insane, it would be Payton.

Denver is definitely the most desperate but their cupboards are not fully stocked. They have pick 12, but then nothing til the third round.

I guess you could do something like... Pick 12, their 3rd rounder, their 4th rounder, their three 5th rounders, and their 1st next year and in 2026, and Courtland Sutton or Patrick Surtain. The value's a little weird but you get a lot of picks and you could use those 5ths as your toss-ins to trade up with your 3rd rounders to make them extra 2nd rounders, your 4th rounders into 3rd rounders etc. But I don't know if Denver wants that either since it basically means they're getting a QB and nothing else this year. Although - if anyone would do something that insane, it would be Payton.

insane trade...but, thats the only type of trade i would take if i were the patriots.

Tennessee Titans - Dumped Henry, have Pickett as a QB... could be looking for an upgrade?

I think Minn would be the best option and provide the most ROI. also, i would make them pay...if they are serious on getting #3, then it will cost them #11, #23 this year and next years 1st and 3rd. If they refuse, then we stand pat. We have all the leverage

Just curious why 3 is the sweet spot? If I'm giving up that much to move up I want pick 1 or 2.

If 1 and 2 won't deal.

Chicago painted themselves into a corner, They dumped their starter and are trying to get a stadium deal nailed down. Barring some unforeseen catastrophe with Williams between now and the draft they have to take him

Washington has an impatient new owner also angling towards a stadium deal. While the Harris ownership is still in its honeymoon period it needs to make things happen.

New England is in a secure enough position to have whatever they do be purely a football decision.

I see the competition for WR to be very valuable.

I see the competition for WR to be very valuable.

You're not wrong. It could easily put additional picks is New England's pocket more than once during the draft

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back