PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teams looking to move up in the draft?

True, just cannot find a single rumor/source suggesting that's the case.
If Pats traded down for a low price, AZ could then sell the pick to Minny for 3 firsts.
That's fine, we still take a QB at 4. And if AZ takes Harrison, then we still have our pick of the same 2 QB's. Could even rinse and repeat with the Chargers.

That's fine, we still take a QB at 4. And if AZ takes Harrison, then we still have our pick of the same 2 QB's. Could even rinse and repeat with the Chargers.
That's assuming the Pats have the QB's rated equally, which seems unlikely.
I guess the whole scenario is possible just seems like a very small % chance.
If they somehow could pull it off, it'd be great to get the guy or 1 of the guys you want and then get extra draft capital. I'd wager quite a bit against it happening if there was wagering on this LOL.

That's assuming the Pats have the QB's rated equally, which seems unlikely.
I guess the whole scenario is possible just seems like a very small % chance.
If they somehow could pull it off, it'd be great to get the guy or 1 of the guys you want and then get extra draft capital. I'd wager quite a bit against it happening if there was wagering on this LOL.
Right!

And AZ looks at the available WR's and the available offers and trades down for 3 firsts and more. All is OK as long as we are happy with ANY of the top 5 QB's and have no real preference among the last 2.
=========
Yup, and rinse and repeat if we try to trade with the chargers.
=========
The issue is whether we want to choose our QB or whether we want someone else to choose our QB.

interesting article, featured in the links above... kinda touches base on the gist of this thread...

Are two firsts the Vikings currently hold this year worth moving out of the 3 spot for?

interesting article, featured in the links above... kinda touches base on the gist of this thread...

Are two firsts the Vikings currently hold this year worth moving out of the 3 spot for?
A 2025 First will also have to be in the package that would be a hard pass or 11 - 23 plus any one of these two Players WR Addison or TE Hockenson. Unless they Think the QB @ 3 is a can't miss Prospect I would not pass on that proposed haul. Again Three First Rounders for #3 or Two First Rounders plus a Proven Player I'm down with either scenario. :cool:

23 is 2nd round value based on scouts assessments of those prospects available.

Missing out on a QB that becomes a top 10 guy would be painful, especially if we draft, say, Brian Thomas at 23, and he busts.

I want 4 1st round drafts picks. Why? Because that's what I'd pay for a QB I believe in.

A 2025 First will also have to be in the package that would be a hard pass or 11 - 23 plus any one of these two Players WR Addison or TE Hockenson. Unless they Think the QB @ 3 is a can't miss Prospect I would not pass on that proposed haul. Again Three First Rounders for #3 or Two First Rounders plus a Proven Player I'm down with either scenario. :cool:
It's a very low price for the third pick.

23 is 2nd round value based on scouts assessments of those prospects available.

Missing out on a QB that becomes a top 10 guy would be painful, especially if we draft, say, Brian Thomas at 23, and he busts.

I want 4 1st round drafts picks. Why? Because that's what I'd pay for a QB I believe in.
Not in this Draft 6 QB's could go in Round one well at least five if you count Bo Nix and a whole slew of WR's. Then they are the Offensive Tackles and Defensive Players. This is a very Deep Draft the 25 Draft class is going to be paltry on Talent no comparison.

Last edited:

Sorry Kevin, it's still gonna be 3 firsts as the starting price. Thanks for calling

No.

Not enough.

I want their 2025 #1 too.

Not in this Draft 6 QB's could go in Round one well at least five if you count Bo Nix and a whole slew of WR's. Then they are the Offensive Tackles and Defensive Players. This is a very Deep Draft teh @5 Draft class is going to be paltry on Talent no comparison.
Scouts are saying the exact opposite of this.

2nd round grades at 23. Mid first round, all the 1st round values are gone.

3 of those 6 QBs are 2nd round values at best.

It's way too low an offer based on almost all trade ups for QBs in recent years. 3 1sts is the minimum going rate, especially to drop all the way back to 11. Even that is debatable in this context as 11 and 23 will see us miss out on the top WRs and likely top 2 OTs. What we are looking at with those picks is either Brian Thomas at 11 and then maybe someone like Tyler Guyton (probably OT 6/7) or someone like Troy Fauga/Fautana at 11 and then AD Mitchell at 23.

I'm not giving up a franchise QB for those players. The Texans apparently traded down from 23 to 44 as they didn't see much difference in the quality of the player available. If true, that lessens the value of the 23rd pick.

Scouts are saying the exact opposite of this.

2nd round grades at 23. Mid first round, all the 1st round values are gone.

3 of those 6 QBs are 2nd round values at best.
Well I mean, the players might have 2nd round grades, but at the end of the day teams still have to pick someone. The teams picking in the middle to end of the 1st won't say "gosh, none of these guys have 1st round grades, so we will just pick nobody and wait til next round." Even if they have a 2nd round grade or worse on everyone left on their board, they'll be taking somebody. And chances are, a couple of QBs will get taken in that range. You also have to consider that some teams may have a 2nd round grade on a player but want to get a 5th year option on him (QB and WR being the best values for this), so may trade up into the very late first to do so.

The whole "1st round grade" thing is really irrelevant. If guys are going to get picked in the first round, then they have a first round grade to someone. So if there is 3 first round graded QBs by Mel freakin' Kiper and his peers, and the NFL is taking as many as 6 QBs in the first round, then there's 6 first round QBs. The rest is just splitting hairs IMO.

Well I mean, the players might have 2nd round grades, but at the end of the day teams still have to pick someone. The teams picking in the middle to end of the 1st won't say "gosh, none of these guys have 1st round grades, so we will just pick nobody and wait til next round." Even if they have a 2nd round grade or worse on everyone left on their board, they'll be taking somebody. And chances are, a couple of QBs will get taken in that range. You also have to consider that some teams may have a 2nd round grade on a player but want to get a 5th year option on him (QB and WR being the best values for this), so may trade up into the very late first to do so.
But... the point I'm making is, are you getting value for your top 3 pick?

But... the point I'm making is, are you getting value for your top 3 pick?
Yeah I think what you're saying and what the other poster is saying are separate points. I get what you mean, though - the players available at pick #23 may not necessarily be all that much better than the guys available in the 2nd round. It depends on each teams' individual rankings and needs, but yeah, I can see it. At least at #23 you get first choice of that group of prospects and a fifth year option, but yeah, there's not those "blue chip" prospects. Definitely why the offer needs to be higher, and why O'Connell is off base.

Yeah I think what you're saying and what the other poster is saying are separate points. I get what you mean, though - the players available at pick #23 may not necessarily be all that much better than the guys available in the 2nd round. It depends on each teams' individual rankings and needs, but yeah, I can see it. At least at #23 you get first choice of that group of prospects and a fifth year option, but yeah, there's not those "blue chip" prospects. Definitely why the offer needs to be higher, and why O'Connell is off base.
In a strong draft, the 11th and 23rd pick are perhaps trades I'd consider more readily.

For instance, I could grab a Hightower at 23. He was definitely a 1st round value in a strong draft.

The 3rd pick in this years draft is shaping up to be a pretty potent pick, with three QBs expected to taken in the win, place, show spots... JJ McCarthy is looking to join in on the QB sweepstakes as well...

I am not advocating that we trade the pick... I think we need to take BPA - if the QB we have targeted is there, we should take him... If not, BPA... However, with guys like Curran pushing the idea of trading out of 3, and rebuilding over an extended period, makes on curious what could other teams offer...

Led me to think though about what ammo other teams have to move up - looking at this years draft picks, not to future picks, in order to understand what type of return could be possible... The most likely candidates looking to move up?

Most likely trade candidates

Las Vegas Raiders - in need of a QB, a so-so slate of picks in this years draft, but nothing really enticing
• Have picks 13, 44(r2), 77(r3), 112(r4), 148(r5), 208(r6), 223 & 229(r7)

Denver Broncos - in need of a QB, though after the trade for Russell Wilson a few years ago, I don;t think they can afford it
• Have picks 12, 76 (r3), 121 (r4), 136 & 145 (r5), 203, 207 (r6)

NY Giants - Looking to replace Daniel Jones? Most likely, Need to replace Barkley, a lot of chatter about them wanting to move up, and I consider them to be players in this years draft...Daboll might be coaching for his job, and a bold move might be in order to keep it...
• Have picks 6, 47(r2), 70(r3), 107(r4), 166(r5), 183(r6)

Minnesota Vikings, need to replace Kirk Cousins, the most rumored to be looking to trade up
• Have picks 11 & 23, 108 & 129(r4), 157 &167(r5), 177(r6), 230 &232(r7)

Tennessee Titans - Dumped Henry, have Pickett as a QB... could be looking for an upgrade?
• Have picks 7, 38(r2), 196(r4), 146(r5), 182(r6), 221, 227 & 242(r7)

Seattle Seahawks - Looking to move on from Geno Smith? An iffy candidate imo, but with a new coach etc, they might want to make a move... sit a rookie for a year while Smith is there to act as a bridge...
• Have picks 16, 81(3), 102(r4), 179(r6), 235(r7)

Washington - Have the number 2 overall and two second round picks... Don't think they will move from 2, but its plausible they trade back if they aren't sold on anyone

Chicago Bears - Have the number 1 & 9 overall, not much after that... Might they want to move back to the top of the draft to give him a weapon or a potential franchise LT? eh... they don't hold a lot of picks, so very doubtful, but they have been very active in trading picks... With Fields gone, the one pick is a lock, but the 9 spot might be in play...

Not a lot of teams have an abundance of picks this year... least not the teams that are what I consider potential movers... Any trade would have to include at least next years 1... while having multiple 1's is a nice problem, pretty sure I don't want to wait until next year to realize that type of bounty...
Pickett is not in Tennessee

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back