PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers may trade Garoppolo to highest bidder in the offseason

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

With a potential pick among the top two in the 2018 NFL draft and roughly $60 million in salary-cap space in the offseason, the 49ers ultimately could decide to draft their quarterback of the future or use some of their money to sign a free-agent quarterback such as Washington's Kirk Cousins, sources said.

If the 49ers decide to not sign Garoppolo to a long-term deal, they could use a franchise tag on him and then dangle him to the highest bidder in a trade. If they were to do that, there would be interest, sources said, and they could possibly get back more than the second-round pick they surrendered.”

With a potential pick among the top two in the 2018 NFL draft and roughly $60 million in salary-cap space in the offseason, the 49ers ultimately could decide to draft their quarterback of the future or use some of their money to sign a free-agent quarterback such as Washington's Kirk Cousins, sources said.

If the 49ers decide to not sign Garoppolo to a long-term deal, they could use a franchise tag on him and then dangle him to the highest bidder in a trade. If they were to do that, there would be interest, sources said, and they could possibly get back more than the second-round pick they surrendered.”

If they franchise Jimmy and he signs it than Jimmy has all the leverage. First I think the tag is $22M+, so over 1/3 of their cap space is gone. Second Cousins is not going to sign with Jimmy already there. Third it is real money not one of the NFL's fake deals - Jimmy gets $22M cash that year. Fourth Jimmy is an unrestricted fee agent again next year so San Fran has to sign him or pay $25M+ for the second franchise year.

Cousins learned this lesson and has been doing it to the Redskins who are in a real bind. They have been paying through the nose for no long-term stability. Cousins has all the leverage with the Redskins - he can write anything into the contract.

The only risk for Cousins is a career ending injury. San Fran will not franchise Jimmy and the Pats were not going to risk it either.

That doesn't sound much better than the Pats franchising him and trying to trade him with the tag at the end of the season. His marketability would be no greater if he is not used by the Niners (and I doubt the personnel around him would showcase his skills), and he would carry a large price tag in the event he does not work out. JAG would be the same enigma, with 1.5 games worth of experience looking for a starting role.

The draft picks are already there, so they could draft a QB. It would seem more like a gamble they can recover a first round pick with a tag and trade. If not, and they miss on the drafted QB, then the front office looks completely inept.

If the 49ers trade Jimmy G for anything higher than a 2nd round pick i will be highly disappointed in the patriots front office for not getting better value

I would feel terrible for Jimmy if SF actually thinks about doing this to him. He deserves better than to be treated like ish.

If the 49ers trade Jimmy G for anything higher than a 2nd round pick i will be highly disappointed in the patriots front office for not getting better value

Get ready to be disappointed. NE had painted themselves into a corner that SF won't be stuck in.

Maybe the Patriots can sign Kaepernick and package him with a second-rounder to get Jimmy back.

The predominant take on why BB handled this decision personally and called only SF is exactly the opposite to this speculations. His close relationship with Shanahans and Lynch should not only benefit Jimmy but also Pats to not see JG on the market esp. AFC East market.

Of course anything can happen but Id go with this at the moment. Id also believe there was a great deal of gentleman's agreement involved in this trade (Hoyer a good example if needed) and not trading JG at least to Pats division if not conference would be one part of it. Maybe cynics would call this naive thinking but there's a lot of old fashioned moral conduct around BB..

I must be missing something here - won't SF be in exactly the same bind NE was if they decide to trade JG rather than sign him long term?

Yes.. other teams can just wait until Jimmy G's contract ends whereupon he will be a UFA.

If they franchise Jimmy and he signs it than Jimmy has all the leverage. First I think the tag is $22M+, so over 1/3 of their cap space is gone. Second Cousins is not going to sign with Jimmy already there. Third it is real money not one of the NFL's fake deals - Jimmy gets $22M cash that year. Fourth Jimmy is an unrestricted fee agent again next year so San Fran has to sign him or pay $25M+ for the second franchise year.

Cousins learned this lesson and has been doing it to the Redskins who are in a real bind. They have been paying through the nose for no long-term stability. Cousins has all the leverage with the Redskins - he can write anything into the contract.

The only risk for Cousins is a career ending injury. San Fran will not franchise Jimmy and the Pats were not going to risk it either.

The 49ers have around $65M in cap room THIS year. Rolled into next year, they should have above $110M in cap room. So no, the $22M tag is not going to matter much to them.

I must be missing something here - won't SF be in exactly the same bind NE was if they decide to trade JG rather than sign him long term?

It's not the same scenario. The 49ers may well have over $117M in cap room depending on which projection you read. The Patriots might have $22M, and that doesn't include any potential deals for Solder/Butler/Bademosi/Burkhead/Slater or Lewis among key contributors.

There are a ton of things the 49ers can do that we can't because they have 4 or 5 times more money available. So nobody should be shocked or surprised or disappointed if they put together different options. It's like being amazed that a millionaire has more vacation options than a teacher making $60K a year. HOLY **** I CAN'T BELIEVE THE TEACHER DIDN'T GO ON THAT $50K DREAM VACATION. Is it really that shocking?

I heard Felger say the Patriots have smart people, they could figure it out. And I know a lot of people feel the same way. So fine, put it together then. How do you fit that contract in?

You have to pass on every day 1 free agent, including your own. You may have to restructure or cut a few people temporarily. Then you have to try and trade the pick when EVERYONE knows you have to do it. If it takes 3 days, you've missed out on every top free agent available. But maybe you get a 2nd and a 3rd. Congrats. You got an extra pick maybe at the expense of ruining your roster for 2018.

Again: YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. It's not about maximizing draft pick capital. You do what is best for the team overall. That potential additional draft capital isn't guaranteed, especially in a QB-rich draft, but especially at the expense of abandoning your upcoming free agents and all of the top free agents available.

...why? Unless you think either Darnold (who has become a turnover machine this season) or Mayfield will absolutely be better than JAG, it makes zero sense to try and trade him.

This is not a team that's totally bereft of talent, so I doubt they try to use JG to pull a Cleveland draft pick collection scheme to try to rebuild from scratch through the draft in one off-season. Five of their 8 losses (Hoyer's last five starts) were by 3 points or less and they have several decent players on IR.

My guess is that the Niners will start JG at some point this season and spend some of their prodigous cap space in FA next year.

It sounds like they're having trouble signing him. JAG is well represented and this is a dumb idea. Pay him and shut up about it.

Last edited:
What was thought to be a good QB draft has turned out to be a very crappy one. I'm not sure why the Niners would give up on Garoppolo, a guy who's ready. I fully expect them to draft one of the tackles or Barkley.

"May" simply means it's possible, no matter how unlikely. I'd put the odds at something like 10% or less.

Jimmy's max value likely comes after showing really well down the stretch this year, so why would the 9ers look to move him when it's apparent they got what they were looking for? With their cap space, signing him long term at big money wouldn't be an issue.

If he looks bad or doesn't get on the field this year, teams won't be lining up to throw insane packages at SF to get him. They'll probably assume something is wrong, that he's not who we think he is. [/Denny Green]

Maybe this happens if Garoppolo gets on the field this year, plays great, but decides SF isn't for him and the 49ers are able to get multiple teams to bid on him after franchising him. Big maybe.

Regards,
Chris

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back