PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 Wide Receivers

go after decent free agents, even if it means repeating the spending splurge of a few years ago... I'd be in direct contact with the agent of calvin ridley now, letting him know theres interest in his future services...
So get caught tampering and lose a pick. That's a hell of a way to start the next rebuild.

But, but Parker is on a very cheap deal for someone who plays primarily WR1. SMH.
As always with Bill, cheap is better than good.

As of right now the two WRs that are possible free agents in 2024 that seem like the best are Mike Evans and Tee Higgins. I like both but can’t see Tampa letting Evans walk and so you have to guess that if Higgins is free there will be huge amount of money coming to him.

There isn’t anyone I can see that may be available as a LT that I think is worth splurging on but the bar is obviously quite low for improvement at that position.

And of course with the BB situation so uncertain who can even guess what about what they will be thinking about specific positions.

:maybenot:
Evans will be 31 during next season. Adding him just puts another piece on the field that won't don squat for the team.

You're correct that there won't be anyone at LT except maybe Tyron Smith. And I wouldn't splurge on him since he can't stay healthy.

The Pats NEED a LT. That has to be their #1 priority for next off-season. Not a receiver. Not a QB. A LT. Period. If they don't add one, it won't matter.

The Pats will ALSO need a RT since they don't have one. Whether it's re-signing Brown and moving him there or signing someone else. they need a RT.

They ALSO need an OC unless Jake Andrews miraculously replaces Dave Andrews and is stouter at the point of attack while also being able to pick up stunting Linemen. That's been Andrews achilles heel.

Evans will be 31 during next season. Adding him just puts another piece on the field that won't don squat for the team.

You're correct that there won't be anyone at LT except maybe Tyron Smith. And I wouldn't splurge on him since he can't stay healthy.

The Pats NEED a LT. That has to be their #1 priority for next off-season. Not a receiver. Not a QB. A LT. Period. If they don't add one, it won't matter.

The Pats will ALSO need a RT since they don't have one. Whether it's re-signing Brown and moving him there or signing someone else. they need a RT.

They ALSO need an OC unless Jake Andrews miraculously replaces Dave Andrews and is stouter at the point of attack while also being able to pick up stunting Linemen. That's been Andrews achilles heel.
i agree that LT is a much, much higher priority than WR. So is RT.
=========================================
That being said, I cannot understand those who don't think that our #1 priority should be QB. I think that our #1 and #2 QB's should be QB: a veteran who is capable of starting and our first draft pick, who may or may not be ready to start in his first season.

Hopefully Pats move on from Parker and Juju by next season. I think the team will bring in a new GM that will be more likely to offer top of the market deals for a receiver. I think a trade and/or a focus on the position in the draft will rebuild the receiving corps next year.

If the Pats are fortunate enough to get one of the top quarterbacks. They will need to rebuild the line and receiving corps to give Drake/Williams a chance to succeed.

Hopefully Pats move on from Parker and Juju by next season. I think the team will bring in a new GM that will be more likely to offer top of the market deals for a receiver. I think a trade and/or a focus on the position in the draft will rebuild the receiving corps next year.

If the Pats are fortunate enough to get one of the top quarterbacks. They will need to rebuild the line and receiving corps to give Drake/Williams a chance to succeed.
Yes, the new GM will be more likely to pay the $15M or $20M for a top WR.

Shuster and Parker are irrelevant to that discussion.

Neither is a #1 or a #2 WR or even a #3 for this team at this point. When Douglas is healthy, our top 3 for the rest of the season will be Bourne, Douglas and Thornton.
=====================
We should extend Bourne.
============
Unless someone bails us out with a trade, Shuster and Parker will her into camp. There is no cost. Even then, the hope will be to tade them for whatever we can get.

We are presuming that we sign a #1 receiver. We will then have a 4 man rotation with a draftee< Boutte, and Reagor competing for the last roster spot.

It's mental that they extended Parker when there was no pressure to do so or the or field performance to merit it. Another terrible decision by the front office.

The thing that really annoys me about Parker's comments how they are the exact opposite of what Jakobi did last year after he lost his mind on that lateral in Vegas. Meyers stood there almost in tears and answered every single question he was asked and took full responsibility. Parker on the other hand had a pass hit him right in the hands on a perfectly thrown ball even with him alligator arming it and got all pissy and defensive and tried to imply the throw wasn't great. So one guy was a homegrown talent who produced for multiple QBs and wanted to be here but didn't get a good offer and is now doing well elsewhere. The other guy was a castoff from a team in the division for a late round pick who hasn't produced, owned his mistake, and got a contract extension for absolutely no reason. Just like with Welker, Bill plays favorites and lets guys walk even when it isn't "in the best interest of the team".

We rightly continue to want Meyers back.

BOTTOM LINE
We lost Meyers and we have Douglas as a replacement

Another poster who is good at predicting injuries

I'm OK with Douglas plus $11M of annual cap money instead having Meyers
You didn't get Douglas over Meyers. You got Juju over Meyers so you didn't really save anything. Douglas and Juju combined 24 catches, 229 yards, 0 TDs. Jakobi Meyers 30 catches, 335 yards, and 4 TDs. You combine the two players and it is still a loss.

Another poster who is good at predicting injuries

I'm OK with Douglas plus $11M of annual cap money instead having Meyers

Dude how’s the kool aid? The Patriots are paying almost $30M for JJSS, Parker, and Henry. They were paying around $40M for Agholor, Henry, and Jonnu. They’ve been among the league’s top spenders at skill positions for a few years but have one of the worst groups in the NFL.

Evan Lazar said yesterday on Patriots Unfiltered that the receivers are running terrible routes. He talked about Tyquan running a vertical that was supposed to clear out an out route for Bourne underneath and he just jogged it and Mac got sacked. He also talked about how poorly Parker ran the slant route where he hesitated before cutting in (even Romo called that one out). Lazar said they don't run hard, they don't run detailed routes, they round them off and he called out Troy Brown and Bill O'Brien for not getting it fixed. The only receiver who ran good routes according to him was Bourne.

Evan Lazar said yesterday on Patriots Unfiltered that the receivers are running terrible routes. He talked about Tyquan running a vertical that was supposed to clear out an out route for Bourne underneath and he just jogged it and Mac got sacked. He also talked about how poorly Parker ran the slant route where he hesitated before cutting in (even Romo called that one out). Lazar said they don't run hard, they don't run detailed routes, they round them off and he called out Troy Brown and Bill O'Brien for not getting it fixed. The only receiver who ran good routes according to him was Bourne.
we all saw Parkers lazy route and Romo called him out on it
If Romo and Lazar see something, BB, BOB and Brown should as well. if they don't see it, that a problem. if they do see it and are doing nothing to correct it, thats a bigger problem.

Dude how’s the kool aid? The Patriots are paying almost $30M for JJSS, Parker, and Henry. They were paying around $40M for Agholor, Henry, and Jonnu. They’ve been among the league’s top spenders at skill positions for a few years but have one of the worst groups in the NFL.
Jonn
Jonnu just needed to be playing for a better team, same for Henry. [for a better QB behind a better OL].

we all saw Parkers lazy route and Romo called him out on it
If Romo and Lazar see something, BB, BOB and Brown should as well. if they don't see it, that a problem. if they do see it and are doing nothing to correct it, thats a bigger problem.
It is sad, Troy Brown has to go as the WR coach. Another year of the WR corps not playing to their talent level, or at least like they have professional pride is an indictment of his effectiveness as a coach.

Jonn

Jonnu just needed to be playing for a better team, same for Henry. [for a better QB behind a better OL].
So your position is Bill didn't overpay a bad player, he surrounded a good player with bad players and that's why he failed here?

So your position is Bill didn't overpay a bad player, he surrounded a good player with bad players and that's why he failed here?
My positon is that Junnu is NOT a bad player, and also, Henry is not a bad player.

My positon is that Junnu is NOT a bad player, and also, Henry is not a bad player.
I don’t think Henry is a bad player. I think he's a solid tight end. I don’t think Jonnu is "bad" per se, but I think he was overpaid for what he is as well as misused here.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back