PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Prospects

From what I've seen so far, FS Greg Brooks Jr (LSU) is my first binkie of the year.

Haven't had a good look at this years class, but i have a hanful of guys i like.

Penix Jr, Drake Maye, Xavier Worthy, Cade Stover

Reactions: Ian
From what I've seen so far, FS Greg Brooks Jr (LSU) is my first binkie of the year.

Sadly, Greg Brooks is no longer a viable option. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor recently. It was surgically removed. Pathology reports are pending.

If the Pats keep playing like this, they will be in Caleb Williams/Drake Maye sweepstakes. With the current state of the team I want to hear which prospects you guys would be excited to see start next year.

If the Pats keep playing like this, they will be in Caleb Williams/Drake Maye sweepstakes. With the current state of the team I want to hear which prospects you guys would be excited to see start next year.
As I type this, the Pats sit at #5.

1. CAR -> CHI (0–5, .575 SOS)
2. CHI (1–4, .456)
3. DEN (1–4, .481)
4. MIN (1–4, .532)
5. NE (1–4, .561)

Williams is an interesting one. Just over 6 feet and plays in a fairly simple offence at USC. My worry with him would be injury and adapting to NFL play. However, everyone seems to think he's the best player in the draft so unless we really tank he's not on our radar. After Drake Maye, the level seems to drop a bit and you're into potential projects like Shadeur Sanders, Quin Ewers, Michael Penix, Bo Nix etc.

Great to see some new people posting in this thread and the Draft forum in general. We all benefit from having more input here, welcome!

My thinking last year at this point and through the free agency and draft period was that the top priority had to be to draft someone who can be their LT1 and RT1, in that order. I feel the same way now. As much as QB is the most important position to address, and as poorly as Mac Jones is doing, without adequate protection neither Caleb Willams, Drake Maye, nor Michael Penix or Bo Nix or anyone else, will be able to avoid a struggle.

I also feel like it has become more difficult than ever to transition an OT prospect from even a top level performer in college to the NFL. The styles of play I think make that too big of a gap for anyone. Watching Evan Neal who performed quite well for Alabama play horribly as a top 10 pick is a great example. He sucks but can you think of a single player that has gone from college to a high performance player in the NFL from the past 3 years? Slater (SD) and Cross (Sea) are the best ones I can think of, maybe Salyer (SD) last year. So it’s going to take time.

Watch Alt and Fashanu and tell me whether you think either are worthy of a top 10 pick - I think they will be taken there - and if so whether you’d be patient with them for a year waiting for them to develop. If the Pats have a top 10 pick next spring I’d be happy to see them go in that direction but would have no illusions that whoever they picked will be ready to roll as LT1 in September 2024.

Watch Alt and Fashanu and tell me whether you think either are worthy of a top 10 pick - I think they will be taken there - and if so whether you’d be patient with them for a year waiting for them to develop. If the Pats have a top 10 pick next spring I’d be happy to see them go in that direction but would have no illusions that whoever they picked will be ready to roll as LT1 in September 2024.
I've seen a few mock drafts suggest Brock Bowers. I've also seen one that had them at 7 taking Kool-Aid McKinstry, which would—at this point in time—be a firing offense IMO.

I must admit that I only saw the highlights of the Notre Dame v Louisville game and I tried to watch Joe Alt. I was a little under impressed by him but I will also admit to have limited knowledge of what to look for. However he did seem to get beat quite a few times ?

I must admit that I only saw the highlights of the Notre Dame v Louisville game and I tried to watch Joe Alt. I was a little under impressed by him but I will also admit to have limited knowledge of what to look for. However he did seem to get beat quite a few times
On second viewing looks like I was wrong on Joe Alt. He had a better game and it was the ND interior OLine that was struggling. One of the post game reports said that they coaches were changing the guards out a few times which maybe impacted the overall OLine performance.

Been super busy with work, 6-7 days now that it's nice out but will do OT this weekend.
Knowing you're busy, it's hard to ask this from you but you're our best source of draft information here at the Patsfans forum.

How do you rank the QB's in the 2024 draft class? After we've seen how poorly our offense has performed after 5 games, I get the feeling that a new QB1 should be considered a desperate need for the Patriots next season!

Just for example how do you rank Caleb Williams vs Drake Maye. Or is there another dark horse candidate the Patriots should consider at QB?

f3d0112d2b08ce09da097f2c24417216.jpg

I don't think we'll be in the mix for either player but the top 3 look like Williams, Harrison Jr. and Maye. Bowers has been impressive as well but not sure a TE will go top 5. There are also a couple of OT at the top (Fashanu, Alt).
Maye hasn't been consistent enough to garner 1st player taken talk, yet, and has missed some open throws but has the talent to be a Trevor Lawrence-type QB.

Why are the Patriots losing ground on Caleb Williams race or who we ever draft? We had the 5 pick and lose but now we have 6 pick overall. The only thing I can make since is we have a division win.

I'm all in on Maye. We'll likely need to land a pick in the top 3 if we want to get him without giving up significant capital.

I feel like we should take Williams/Maye if we're in a spot to land one of them in the top 3. But have too many needs to trade up significant capital. If both are gone, trade down and take a guy like Nix/Penix/McCarthy later in the 1st or 2nd. Maybe pair one of those guys with a Jimmy G?

I don't think we'll be in the mix for either player but the top 3 look like Williams, Harrison Jr. and Maye. Bowers has been impressive as well but not sure a TE will go top 5. There are also a couple of OT at the top (Fashanu, Alt).
Maye hasn't been consistent enough to garner 1st player taken talk, yet, and has missed some open throws but has the talent to be a Trevor Lawrence-type QB.
We are sitting at 1-5 and staring at a likely 1-7 because we face the Bills and the Dolphins in the next 2 weeks. I'd say we're right in the mix for a top 3 pick. The only question is can Carolina steal a win or two somewhere or will they really go 0-17?

Why are the Patriots losing ground on Caleb Williams race or who we ever draft? We had the 5 pick and lose but now we have 6 pick overall. The only thing I can make since is we have a division win.

The problem is that the Patriots didn't suck enough in their previous season.

The order of selection is determined by the reverse order of finish in the previous season. Barring any trades between clubs, each round starts with the team that finished with the worst record and ends with the Super Bowl champions.

After that it goes to strength of schedule.

In situations where teams finished the previous season with identical records, the determination of draft position is decided by strength of schedule — the aggregate winning percentage of a team’s opponents. The team that played the schedule with the lowest winning percentage will be awarded the higher pick.

Rule link:

The problem is that the Patriots didn't suck enough in their previous season.

The order of selection is determined by the reverse order of finish in the previous season. Barring any trades between clubs, each round starts with the team that finished with the worst record and ends with the Super Bowl champions.

After that it goes to strength of schedule.

In situations where teams finished the previous season with identical records, the determination of draft position is decided by strength of schedule — the aggregate winning percentage of a team’s opponents. The team that played the schedule with the lowest winning percentage will be awarded the higher pick.

Rule link:
Unless I'm mistaken, the "previous season" is this season for next years draft. We had the toughest strength of schedule going into to the season, it should hold up pretty well at the end if we are tied with 1 or 2 other teams.

Unless I'm mistaken, the "previous season" is this season for next years draft. We had the toughest strength of schedule going into to the season, it should hold up pretty well at the end if we are tied with 1 or 2 other teams.
Correct. Right now, NE is tied with the NYG for the toughest schedule among 1-5 teams (and leaguewide), at .570. Therefore, in the NFL's view, they don't need the pick as badly as da Bears, who are at .464.

Correct. Right now, NE is tied with the NYG for the toughest schedule among 1-5 teams (and leaguewide), at .570. Therefore, in the NFL's view, they don't need the pick as badly as da Bears, who are at .464.
Got it, this whole losing thing is new.. i'm learning

We are sitting at 1-5 and staring at a likely 1-7 because we face the Bills and the Dolphins in the next 2 weeks. I'd say we're right in the mix for a top 3 pick. The only question is can Carolina steal a win or two somewhere or will they really go 0-17?
I looked at all the teams’ schedules and I think the Pats will pick somewhere in the 7-10 range. Unless more injuries hit the team and BB sells some assets I doubt we sniff a top 3 pick.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back