PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

In any case, we need to draft an OT who can contribute as a starter or swing OT in 2023. Wynn won't be back.

Wynn/Lose can certainly return here if he chooses... as a Left GUARD...

Preferably a Tackle and an IOL.
Yes, of course.

1-3 IOL's is a given, including someone who can at least compete to be the starting LG.

With the new rules allowing an extra active OL, we will almost certainly carry 9 OL's: 4 OT's and 5 IOL's
==========
FIVE INTERIOR LINEMEN
Andrews and Onwenu

AND THEN? Ferentz, Desjarlais, Sherman and Hambright
Ideally, only one of these makes the 53. One of the backups will need to be the backup center, ready to start a few games if necessary. I would not be surprised to see Ferentz make the 53, since the coaches seem content to have him as the 9 OL, active on Game Day, backing up both OG and C.

Yes, of course.

1-3 IOL's is a given, including someone who can at least compete to be the starting LG.

With the new rules allowing an extra active OL, we will almost certainly carry 9 OL's: 4 OT's and 5 IOL's
==========
FIVE INTERIOR LINEMEN
Andrews and Onwenu

AND THEN? Ferentz, Desjarlais, Sherman and Hambright
Ideally, only one of these makes the 53. One of the backups will need to be the backup center, ready to start a few games if necessary. I would not be surprised to see Ferentz make the 53, since the coaches seem content to have him as the 9 OL, active on Game Day, backing up both OG and C.
James Ferentz will be on this team until BB hits the nursing home. Jake Bequette must have passed down the Polaroids.

The Dolphins signing free agent Terron Armstead, the Pro Bowl LT from the Saints, is a big deal. He has elite pass protection skills for nervous nellie Tua to be more effective.

I think Miami is now the second most talented team in the division.

I wish we had gone after him.

Armstead-Wynn-Andrews-OneMenu-Brown

That is just a pleasant dream.

The Dolphins signing free agent Terron Armstead, the Pro Bowl LT from the Saints, is a big deal. He has elite pass protection skills for nervous nellie Tua to be more effective.

No there are two who dream of Wynn at LG.

The open question is whether we draft 2 or 3 OL's by the end of the 5th. A 5th round OG would most likely make the 53.

Looks like it's really a 3-year, if not a 2-year, contract with extra years added to spread the signing bonus/guaranteed money... He's never seeing the final two years at those terms...

Last edited:
The open question is whether we draft 2 or 3 OL's by the end of the 5th. A 5th round OG would most likely make the 53.

As would a UDFA Center to replace Thanksdad.

3 OLmen drafted by the end of the 5th round sounds optimistic... I would settle for 2 through all 7 rounds (including a LT of the Future) and then hit the UDFA market, hard...very, Very hard.

As would a UDFA Center to replace Thanksdad.

3 OLmen drafted by the end of the 5th round sounds optimistic... I would settle for 2 through all 7 rounds (including a LT of the Future) and then hit the UDFA market, hard...very, Very hard.
As you certainly know, Belichick is very unlikely to trust a UDFA center over Ferentz or another veteran who could be signed after the draf, or even during camp.

We need a veteran that Belichick trusts to the 8th active OL, a backup center for us.

right side (4)
Brown and his backup Herron (together they make a fine OT)
Onwenu
Ferentz - backup C and right guard

center (1) - Andrews

Left Side (4)
Wynn
???
???
???

Is cap right to worry? Probably not, since it only April. I just want a top level LG, who can pull.

The jury has spoken...Wynn was a bad pick. Starts at 12:48.

It's happening, Bill's picking OL in the 1st RD to protect McCorkle.

As you certainly know, Belichick is very unlikely to trust a UDFA center over Ferentz or another veteran who could be signed after the draf, or even during camp.

David Andrews, 2015?

Thank you for insight and solutions to the issues concerning the left side of the OL.

A solution has indeed been offered: Move Wynn/Lose inside to Left Guard, his More Natural pro position, and either return Trent Brown to LT or draft one and start him, something that Bill has done before.

A solution has indeed been offered: Move Wynn/Lose inside to Left Guard, his More Natural pro position, and either return Trent Brown to LT or draft one and start him, something that Bill has done before.
Doesn't Bill usually plan to have a rookie sit for a year before starting at LT? Also, it usually takes a high draft choice to find a LT that's ready to start.

Who did you have in mind? I'm fine with your plan. However, I think that Bill would rather a LT be a swing OT in his first year. In any case, the draft is fill starting positions in both 2022 and 2023, if possible. My preference is to draft a LT to start in 2023, and a LG to start in 2022.

Doesn't Bill usually plan to have a rookie sit for a year before starting at LT? Also, it usually takes a high draft choice to find a LT that's ready to start.
In the case of Nate Solder, yes... In the case of Matt Light, no... And in the hypothetical case of Isaiah Wynn, he likely would have sat behind Trent Brown even if he were completely healthy...
And yes, I would expect to use a top-100 pick on a LT of the Future.

Who did you have in mind? I'm fine with your plan. However, I think that Bill would rather a LT be a swing OT in his first year. In any case, the draft is fill starting positions in both 2022 and 2023, if possible. My preference is to draft a LT to start in 2023, and a LG to start in 2022.
Charlie Cross, Trevor Penning & Bernhard Raimann might or might not still be available at #21... Cross is the least athletic of the 3, Raimann's & Penning's levels of competition have to be considered, and Raimann's arm length scares me (though his countryman SeaBass had the same issue)...
If Bill uses his first pick on either of them, then we'll have our answer for how well he thinks of Wynn/Lose's future at LT... If he doesn't, then we going to see a Guard drafted, if not during Day 2 then certainly during Day 3; and Yes I would also expect him to start in 2022.

Last edited:
I would hope that the Canadian Desjarlais will claim the LG spot and Wynn/Herron are given a chance to prove they can be relied on at LT. I think it was the last Bills game where Herron started at left tackle and played well. However I understand @captain stone concerns as the left side could be shaky with Wynns injury history and Herron's proven consistency....maybe some cover from the draft would be wise just incase.
I hope Mac remembers to say "courir a' gauche" when the play is going Desjarlais's way.

Wynn/Lose can certainly return here if he chooses... as a Left GUARD...

A left guard. A position that he's taken a handful of snaps at in the NFL.. You're ridiculousness is amazing.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back