PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

This seems like a no brainer if you want any chance to compete with the Chiefs in that division. Obviously they need a better QB/Offense too, but you're unlikely to match Mahomes 1 to 1 in that category, so the next order of business is making life difficult for him. I don't know these individual players enough to know if they actually make that difference, but the philosophy makes sense.

That Mills tape is also Fehoko tape, he looked great. Dude is 6'4". Ran a 4.37 forty. Pats should draft both lol
He's in the Claypool mold. Talked About him in my thread a month or so ago. Height/Weight/Speed freak. He's someone that might work here. We need speed and big plays. Just talked about this in my thread.
Not just that, but many of them looked like they weren’t his 1st read.

Problem is, this is his highlight tape. How consistently is he doing all this stuff? Off to @BaconGrundleCandy ’s threads to find out.....
I've been pumping Mills for a while now. Probably higher on him than most but I'm very intrigued. Less than a season worth of starts but he looked good recently. Very smart, poised with good footwork. He reminds me of Daniel Jones in that regard. Base, feet, core all strong, working together. Team capt. Arm talent won't wow you but its better than good enough. I think he's perfect for a lot of RPO/PA, hes really good at working the MOF in general but put something together like that and give him a year to train, learn the system. Adjust to life in the NFL. Its a huge jump in terms of experience. He'll need a lot of help at first but he's a little presence and command about him.

He's in the Claypool mold. Talked About him in my thread a month or so ago. Height/Weight/Speed freak. He's someone that might work here. We need speed and big plays. Just talked about this in my thread.

I've been pumping Mills for a while now. Probably higher on him than most but I'm very intrigued. Less than a season worth of starts but he looked good recently. Very smart, poised with good footwork. He reminds me of Daniel Jones in that regard. Base, feet, core all strong, working together. Team capt. Arm talent won't wow you but its better than good enough. I think he's perfect for a lot of RPO/PA, hes really good at working the MOF in general but put something together like that and give him a year to train, learn the system. Adjust to life in the NFL. Its a huge jump in terms of experience. He'll need a lot of help at first but he's a little presence and command about him.

how does he or fields for that matter overcome years of first read training?

both suck at read progression and hang on their first read forever thus late getting through the read progression. Most of mills and fields interceptions are a result of delivering the ball late to second or third reads.

But I will say this, mills does appear to be able to read the defense pre snap. Fields absolutely can not do that. Aka Dwayne Haskins part 2.

Agreed - Claypool is a good comparison. Very intriguing.

Also agreed about Mills, good to read your thoughts on him. Definitely needs a red shirt year but that’s fine. Part of me wonders if NE could trade up into the end of the first to grab him. Probably a 2nd round talent but the extra contract year may be worth it?

Stacked roster without too many holes (crazy to say that since there were so many holes a week ago). Wonder if they could also be aggressive in the draft and try to get the guys they like most. Trade up a little for an elite blue chip player, on either side of the ball. Trade up for Mills. I don’t know how 11 picks are gonna make the roster. I know we have said this before, though.

how does he or fields for that matter overcome years of first read training?
I mean Mills has like 11 career starts so I'm not sure where you're coming up with "years of first read training".
both suck at read progression and hang on their first read forever thus late getting through the read progression. Most of mills and fields interceptions are a result of delivering the ball late to second or third reads.
Most INT's are a result of coverage and forcing the ball to late options.

Also I disagree about the "Fields can't scan a field" or "go through progressions" takes. He's not perfect but tasked with running the most complex offense out of the big names. In which a lot of time he's waiting on his targets to declare vs w/e coverage they're facing. Not easy and the point there is it's not all on him. If everyone else isn't doing their job it makes his a lot harder.

He ran that offense pretty well and it's not like that's the only one he can run. Or he can't grow, improve.
But I will say this, mills does appear to be able to read the defense pre snap. Fields absolutely can not do that. Aka Dwayne Haskins part 2.
Fields and Haskins ran two different offenses.

Agreed - Claypool is a good comparison. Very intriguing.

Also agreed about Mills, good to read your thoughts on him. Definitely needs a red shirt year but that’s fine. Part of me wonders if NE could trade up into the end of the first to grab him. Probably a 2nd round talent but the extra contract year may be worth it?

Stacked roster without too many holes (crazy to say that since there were so many holes a week ago). Wonder if they could also be aggressive in the draft and try to get the guys they like most. Trade up a little for an elite blue chip player, on either side of the ball. Trade up for Mills. I don’t know how 11 picks are gonna make the roster. I know we have said this before, though.
I'd wait until the 2nd on Mills. If we really love him we can get him with 46 or 46 plus a sweetener. I can't see anyone grabbing him first round but who knows.

I also think if we don't go QB early we try to get someone who's skill set you can't replicate later and/or might put one of our groups close to over the top.

We still need speed at WR, OL depth, LB & DL help. One or two additions in FA, a great draft and we're back in business to compete for the div. All this hinges on getting good Cam from his streaky self and improving from last year. I don't mind him bc he is streaky and his peak is still better than 50% of what's out there. Whether he still has it or not, we'll see. No doubt the weapons were awful last year. So roll the dice and see what happens.

I may be the only one with this opinion, but i‘m not high on Mills at all. In another year this guy is a Day 3 pick. If we pick him in the first or at 46, that‘s a massive reach for me. He‘s not ready. If we draft him, i hope he proves me wrong.

I mean Mills has like 11 career starts so I'm not sure where you're coming up with "years of first read training".

Most INT's are a result of coverage and forcing the ball to late options.

Also I disagree about the "Fields can't scan a field" or "go through progressions" takes. He's not perfect but tasked with running the most complex offense out of the big names. In which a lot of time he's waiting on his targets to declare vs w/e coverage they're facing. Not easy and the point there is it's not all on him. If everyone else isn't doing their job it makes his a lot harder.

He ran that offense pretty well and it's not like that's the only one he can run. Or he can't grow, improve.

Fields and Haskins ran two different offenses.

This is a very interesting episode of Next Pats Podcast. Perry interviews Thor Nystrom (Rotoworld’s lead college football writer, NBC Sports NFL Draft analyst), who is a huge Fields fan. Among the topics that he addresses is the “Fields only looks at his first read” criticism. He agrees strongly with you on this....that it is BS.

So a player who played under a former Pats coach and culture again chose a similar coach to play under ?.interesting.

There are storyline/narratives and then there is money.

No, I'm sure Golladay will be a better all around player than Agholor. It just looked for a while like Golladay's market might have dried up to the point where he would get paid less than Agholor. If that happened, I would have been very upset, but it turns out the people saying Golladay would have to settle for 1 year/$8M were way off.
Very upset? Wow. It's springtime, dude. Get outside, enjoy the nice weather, let go of your concerns about what various players get paid, look forward to a far more interesting season than any of us saw coming even a week ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes