PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it’s possible for Bentley to not make the team.
I was thinking the same thing.

I think he's too good to be cut because he sucks.

If McMillan does very well in TC he might be a traded for a low-round pick.

He needs to be a little lighter IMO. Too slow in space.

Maybe CHI fans will look back at the Trubisky Era as their glory days, compared to the Dalton Era...

Maybe CHI fans will look back at the Trubisky Era as their glory days, compared to the Dalton Era...

I just dont get this move by Trubisky. This guy is still young, was highly touted. You would think he would go to a team where he could compete for a starting job to revive his career. In 2018 he looked at least promising with 24tds and 12 interceptions

Instead he goes to a team where he has NO chance of ever seeing the field. and next year will be back on the market all over again showing teams nothing. Has to make you question his compete and drive.

I just dont get this move by Trubisky. This guy is still young, was highly touted. You would think he would go to a team where he could compete for a starting job to revive his career. In 2018 he looked at least promising with 24tds and 12 interceptions

Instead he goes to a team where he has NO chance of ever seeing the field. and next year will be back on the market all over again showing teams nothing. Has to make you question his compete and drive.
It's a job

It's a job

No kidding, but if it is a job then you want to prove that your last team was wrong and that you are a starter worth more than $2.5million so that you can make more money next year on a bigger contract.

isntead he took $2.5million to sit on the bench for a team he has no chance to start. is any team going to pay him more next year when they havent seen anything to make them want to?

Say for example he went to the 49ers for the same contract. Given Jimmy G's injury history and the fact that the niners are wishy washy with him he could've had a chance to compete for a starting job. or at least have a chance to start and show something if/when Jimmy misses games.

I mean you have people giddy over one game Mariota played.

Last edited:
Curran ranks the top 10 Patriots signings, puts Agholor at #7:
A lotta talk as this week’s unspooled that the Patriots overpaid for Nelson Agholor. So what are we contending, Bill doesn’t know the right way to go on a splurge? Is that it? I don’t caaaaaaaarrrreeee. Agholor is rare speed and the geometry of an offense relies on someone being able to threaten downfield. Especially when the quarterback isn’t a surgeon and able to do the things the previous quarterback did in the LOS to 10-yard range.

When Bill Belichick thinks back to the nine catches on 11 targets for 84 yards Agholor had in Super Bowl 52 and envisions a player like that being here with Josh McDaniels scheming, it’s got to take some of the sting out of paying a lot for Agholor.
Ref: Curran & Perry: Time to rank the top 10 free-agent signings (so far)

Has lots of love for all ten.

It's still pretty amazing to consider we've signed twenty veteran FAs to this team.

Some are re-signs, but a few of these made Curran's list.

And to think HT isn't on the list because we already had his rights.

This is going to be a very different team next year.

It's still pretty amazing to consider we've signed twenty veteran FAs to this team.

I trust Bill with evaluating veteran FA's and whether they fit in the scheme or not far more than I trust him with draft picks. While he has had his share of mis-calculations on certain guys. I think his success rate is rather high when evaluating guys who can play in the NFL and where they fit

Adam Humphries....Bueller? ....Bueller?

Indeed it feed the narrative that he's just happy to collect his pay and not much more.

It's pretty rare that a QB returns to or surpasses their achievements on a second team.

Tannehill is the obvious one, but it's hard for me to think of many more. Maybe Carson Palmer's bounce-back in AZ or maybe Kurt Warner's bounce back also at AZ?

Bill couldn't care less what players say about him.

As long they play hard and put the team first there is always room on this team for them.

Just don't screw him on business deals or try to steal his coaches. Only then he becomes scornful.
Yeah, I don't think the problem would be on the Patriots end. I do wonder if Amendola would actually sign here given other offers to choose from, considering he made it sound like he just didn't like it here that much outside of Brady.

He's also been in the league longer than Edelman, who appears to be too old to play now, and has an injury history of his own. I'm sure his contract would be very small, but he might be done soon. On a vet min type deal, I would like it.

I trust Bill with evaluating veteran FA's and whether they fit in the scheme or not far more than I trust him with draft picks. While he has had his share of mis-calculations on certain guys. I think his success rate is rather high when evaluating guys who can play in the NFL and where they fit
Totally agree. I'm also not going to get upset if he gets some wrong. It's a very inexact process. I think he's about a year ahead of where I thought he would be on a rebuild right now. I think he decided he gets more bang for the buck this year so he stepped on the gas. Let's hope he has a good draft.

Yeah, I don't think the problem would be on the Patriots end. I do wonder if Amendola would actually sign here given other offers to choose from, considering he made it sound like he just didn't like it here that much outside of Brady.

He's also been in the league longer than Edelman, who appears to be too old to play now, and has an injury history of his own. I'm sure his contract would be very small, but he might be done soon. On a vet min type deal, I would like it.
I'm not a fan of the move. We need someone younger/faster/healthier than him, someone on the way up instead of the way down. He won't need much coaching, but he would take up a roster spot.

Really warming up to the Bourne signing. This is a guy who plays much faster than his 40 time. If you watch the entire highlight video, Curran’s comment about Bourne taking on defenders looks to be a legit strength...very tough runner after the catch. His raw stats don’t jump out at you but have to be taken in the context of a run-heavy SF offense. He could ultimately turn out to be one of their best signings, in terms of cost vs. production/impact.

Last edited:
Another thing about Bourne, that demonstrated in the highlight video....almost every time he catches the ball he is not just a little open, he is a lot open. I’m certainly not an expert on breaking down WR film but to me that indicates that he is either getting excellent releases at the LOS or his route-running is elite, or both. It may trace back to....say it with me....his three cone (ran a glacial 4.68 forty but an elite 6.73 three cone).

Thoughts on Bourne, @BaconGrundleCandy, or anyone else here who is into WR film review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back