PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be lucky to get a third or low second for Gilmore
Yes. Too bad there aren’t more teams that are a shutdown CB away. Dallas could also be in the mix for Gilmore. Their division sucks. There’s no clear cut favorite right now in the NFC.

Listen i don’t wanna trade the guy for peanuts. He can still play.

I would NOT trade him for anything if he is willing to stay and sign reasonable extension close to top of the market with reasonable dose of NLTB incentives in a pay as you go. Pats were fair to increase his $ before so they should be able to make something out. Unless its something behind the scenes, injury or injury handling related...

Yes. Too bad there aren’t more teams that are a shutdown CB away. Dallas could also be in the mix for Gilmore. Their division sucks. There’s no clear cut favorite right now in the NFC.
:)

I would guess Dallas is the clear favorite.

I would NOT trade him for anything if he is willing to stay and sign reasonable extension close to top of the market with reasonable dose of NLTB incentives in a pay as you go. Pats were fair to increase his $ before so they should be able to make something out. Unless its something behind the scenes, injury or injury handling related...
nothing complicated
Gilmore is worth much more than he's being paid for his 2021 services (yet again)

One of the few things that Felger has been right about....the cap is crap. So many loopholes and ways to create space, just the way teams and the players like it.
I think the "cap is crap" mantra is poorly phrased. Makes it sound like the cap doesn't exist or something. It does, but teams can also do some ridiculous stuff to work around tight situations. The bill usually comes due, eventually, but at times you also have contracts that use void years, signing bonuses and large back-end salaries that the player will never actually see... We will see a lot of that mind-bending financing this year.

doesn’t San Fran need a corner as well?
y

I was suggesting that Dallas is s strong favorite in its division, and one of the strongest teams in the NFC.

I think the "cap is crap" mantra is poorly phrased. Makes it sound like the cap doesn't exist or something. It does, but teams can also do some ridiculous stuff to work around tight situations. The bill usually comes due, eventually, but at times you also have contracts that use void years, signing bonuses and large back-end salaries that the player will never actually see... We will see a lot of that mind-bending financing this year.

Fair point on the wording but when the big bill does eventually does have to be paid, teams can seemingly kick the can down the road again and/or get bailed out of by the huge new TV deals.

The thing with Gilmore is no one is going to trade for him without knowing the status of his quad tear.

Fair point on the wording but when the big bill does eventually does have to be paid, teams can seemingly kick the can down the road again and/or get bailed out of by the huge new TV deals.
New Orleans are masters of kicking the can forever down the road, but that's biting them in the ass hard this year. Of course, this year was obviously not foreseen by anyone.

One of the few things that Felger has been right about....the cap is crap. So many loopholes and ways to create space, just the way teams and the players like it.

Felger has not been right and the cap is not crap. In fact, it has been one of his most moronic takes ever. Otherwise you wouldn't see dozens of teams cutting or restructuring players left and right as we speak.

Just because you can play around and gain some limited shortterm flexibility with proration of signing bonuses doesn't mean that the entire concept is crap.

You are still paying every dollar that's guaranteed or earned. Continuing to restructure to help shortterm means a big bill coming your way in the future.

Felger has not been right and the cap is not crap. In fact, it has been one of his most moronic takes ever. Otherwise you wouldn't see dozens of teams cutting or restructuring players left and right as we speak.

Just because you can play around and gain some limited shortterm flexibility with proration of signing bonuses doesn't mean that the entire concept is crap.

You are still paying every dollar that's guaranteed or earned. Continuing to restructure to help shortterm means a big bill coming your way in the future.
This is a year with a large, completely unexpected drop in the cap, and teams are still able to do all sorts of restructures to keep their players.

How do you not see that such is true precisely because the cap is crap? I mean, you have to force yourself to be completely blind in order not to see it.

That you still haven't figured that out after all these years is amazing.

The cap certainly isn't crap this year. There were a lot of good players cut so far for cap reasons. Several players weren't franchised most likely for cap implications.

I mean look at the Saints. They had to let a lot of players go to get their cap under control.

The cap certainly isn't crap this year. There were a lot of good players cut so far for cap reasons. Several players weren't franchised most likely for cap implications.

I mean look at the Saints. They had to let a lot of players go to get their cap under control.

Many are writing that the Saints are paying the price for kicking the can down the road for several years but have they really?

They started the offseason at $90+ million over the cap and have had to cut some solid vets but none of those players were going to be core guys going forward and none were likely to be true difference makers next year....Cook, Sanders and Jenkins have all had good to very good careers but are nearing the end of their ultility and their production can likely be replaced, or close to it. Alexander is still young but will he ever be healthy enough to be the same player that he was during his last year in Tampa, after a torn pec, a torn ACL and, most recently, a torn achilles? To me, their losses so far are more “meh” than “wow”.

Many are writing that the Saints are paying the price for kicking the can down the road for several years but have they really?

They started the offseason at $90+ million over the cap and have had to cut some solid vets but none of those players were going to be core guys going forward and none were likely to be true difference makers next year....Cook, Sanders and Jenkins have all had good to very good careers but are nearing the end of their ultility and their production can likely be replaced, or close to it. Alexander is still young but will he ever be healthy enough to be the same player that he was during his last year in Tampa, after a torn pec, a torn ACL and, most recently, a torn achilles.

No doubt they kicked the can, but could anybody have predicted this virus nightmare two years ago?

This is a year with a large, completely unexpected drop in the cap, and teams are still able to do all sorts of restructures to keep their players.

How do you not see that such is true precisely because the cap is crap? I mean, you have to force yourself to be completely blind in order not to see it.

That you still haven't figured that out after all these years is amazing.
The fact that the cap is flexible and teams have ability to push hits to the future doesn’t mean the cap is crap.
The cap is a strict limitation of what you can pay players. The fact the the patriots can be structured different ways doesn’t change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back