PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would it portend anything for them? Mills is a reserve DB. He can be the first guy off the bench when they need someone to step in.. If anything, it speaks to the uphill battle that JoeJuan Williams, Bryant, Virgin, Jackson, and Ross will have to make the roster.
Jackson will
After 4 big signings I would not be upset at all if the Patriots decided that's it for big ticket guys, then waited for cap-strapped teams to start cutting vets, which they could then sign for incentive laden deals. It may be time to slow this train already just a few hours into FA.
Now, we might focus on our own free agents.

CAP INTERMEZZO

Going by Gilmore's deal (one of the few big ones BB signed lately) 5y/65M/40g = 8.5M cap # = 7.7M cap hit (TOP 51 rule)

Id guess they spent around 25M 2021 cap space w these 4 moves.
They had about 60 going in (Brown,Bethel, JCJackson, Jakob J incl.)

They could've backloaded them a bit more since they have so much room in future years (by far #1).
Bottom line - plenty left to spend..

-.-
There is certainly a chance that they are more heavily backloaded this year. It only makes sense.

Wouldn't that be great? Particualrly since there are a dozen out there already who would upgrade the Pats WR roster.
If you list our WR's, you might find out that more than 12 are upgrades.

Thuney won't come back - he'll get a massive offer elsewhere.
Guy maybe, but very cheap. He wasn't as good this year.
Van Noy probably not. Nice connection but he openly said negative stuff abt Pats after leaving.

^ Also we probably can't make a crap ton of more big signings.
Why do you think Thuney is going to "get a massive offer elsewhere"? It hasn't happened to this point. Also, many people thought that Feliciano and Zeitler would get 10+M APY and neither got 8M APY on their 3 year deals.

Guy played very well considering the team didn't have a NT for most of the year.

I think the only way they are satisfied with Cam as the starter is if they draft a QB with their first pick. I think I should have clarified that better. Why spend this money on players only have to reset the QB position next year with no plan?

I think either they get Garoppolo or draft a QB in the first or think Tribusky or Mariota are very good QBs in search of the right system. I am with you though that drafting Jones or Lance seems to be the front runner in my mind.

I agree with this 100%

Jackson will

We don’t really have many of our own that are priorities.
Thuney.
Andrews but I think we draft the next C.
I think they move on from White.
who else is more than just depth in a perfect world?

We don’t really have many of our own that are priorities.
Thuney.
Andrews but I think we draft the next C.
I think they move on from White.
who else is more than just depth in a perfect world?
Gone

Jackson will

Mills isn't really a big signing - 9 million guaranteed for a 4-year deal. Godcheaux isn't that big a signing, either.

They've still got plenty of room, I think.

Thuney to the Chiefs seems to be a done deal.. :( Be interesting to see where they plan on playing him since they got rid of 3/5 of their line..

5/80 is LT money..

Not surprised. Good move for the chiefs actually. They have a history of bouncing ol around when there are injuries abs thuney fits that.

Big move for the Chiefs.

But for 5/$80 they can have him.

Must be a massive deal they gave to Thuney, which long-term could still create cap issues. If teams like the Jets and Bengals were involved and Chiefs offered more...

OBJ would be worth ~2nd at least, so def not Harry and a pick.

OBJ would max be worth a fourth round pick. Good luck trying to get more for someone coming back from an ACL on a contract that pays him somewhere around 15m.

Van Noy probably not. Nice connection but he openly said negative stuff abt Pats after leaving.
Nobody of importance gives a **** what he said. There have been worse culprits that became good citizens here.

The only question is money and role. If he can just slide into his old role it would be a no brainer for him to sign here for a year and leverage another good year into more FA money when the cap goes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes