PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trubisky is so good that people still don't even know how to spell his name.

Sorry about it. I wrote that post quickly between calls and didn't wordsmith it. I was just throwing that out there. I doubt that Belichick would sign the guy but I think someone will thinking he is just in a bad situation and can be salvaged ala Ryan Tannehill.

You gotta love it when the media comes up with a narrative and then years later something that goes against that self created narrative happens and they point fingers at the team not themselves.

Clickbait journalism.

Shoot it straight into my veins.
Cousins, Our moods after a typical FA period are frowns and idle threats.
Today smiles.....enjoy it. It's like a rare comet sighting every 100 years or so.

Resign:
Thuney (or Andrews)
Guy

Sign:
Van Noye
Galladay and JuJu (someone mentioned a starting #1 and #2 tandem ready to go as a pair) or Samuel........ but would not be surprised at Jones or Sanders
Rudolph (two tight end sets again) or trade for Ertz. If Cam is going to at least start the season, his best years were with a solid tight end (Olsen)
Tomlinson

Trade:
OBJ for Harry and a pick or even up for Gilmore

Those picks would be compelling. Am I being to greedy?
DW Toys

Would love to resign Thuney and a good WR or two. Have a feeling we are going to draft our future qb early.
Is Rosenhaus Thuney's agent?

It's clearly why he's spending like he his. I thought he'd do his usual bargain shopping, but you posted earlier they've spent more in guaranteed money today alone than in the last 10 years. Coincidence?
Yes it’s very clear. He had 70 million of cap room vs the 6-15 he typically has had.
The cheap truthers should have paid more attention

After 4 big signings I would not be upset at all if the Patriots decided that's it for big ticket guys, then waited for cap-strapped teams to start cutting vets, which they could then sign for incentive laden deals. It may be time to slow this train already just a few hours into FA.

Sorry about it. I wrote that post quickly before calls and didn't wordsmith it. I was just throwing that out there. I doubt that Belichick would sign the guy but I think someone will thinking he is just in a bad situation and can be salvaged ala Ryan Tanehill.

I didnt mean to make fun of you. It is just something I have observed for a while now that apparently people have trouble with his name.

Which to me is not a good sign about a player. I dont think many have been misspelling Gronkowski after the 2011 season because he was actually a star player.

But all that is just reading tea leaves.

Butler hasn't be re-signed yet..
I don’t think he is going to. He isn’t cut out for the role he has been used in. Should be a passing d sub package guy, not a 50% of snaps guy.

After 4 big signings I would not be upset at all if the Patriots decided that's it for big ticket guys, then waited for cap-strapped teams to start cutting vets, which they could then sign for incentive laden deals. It may be time to slow this train already just a few hours into FA.
I’d like to see WR filled with a can’t miss top money guy. Then I agree.
The remaining holes don’t need top flight guys, except the enormous one directly behind the c.

P
I don’t think he is going to. He isn’t cut out for the role he has been used in. Should be a passing d sub package guy, not a 50% of snaps guy.
I agree we have Cowart for that similar ceiling on Cowart.

CAP INTERMEZZO

Going by Gilmore's deal (one of the few big ones BB signed lately) 5y/65M/40g = 8.5M cap # = 7.7M cap hit (TOP 51 rule)

Id guess they spent around 25M 2021 cap space w these 4 moves.
They had about 60 going in (Brown,Bethel, JCJackson, Jakob J incl.)

They could've backloaded them a bit more since they have so much room in future years (by far #1).
Bottom line - plenty left to spend..

-.-

Today smiles.....enjoy it. It's like a rare comet sighting every 100 years or so.

Resign:
Thuney (or Andrews)
Guy
[/QUOTE]
Agreed.
Sign:
Van Noye
Agreed
Galladay and JuJu (someone mentioned a starting #1 and #2 tandem ready to go as a pair) or Samuel........ but would not be surprised at Jones or Sanders
Rudolph (two tight end sets again) or trade for Ertz. If Cam is going to at least start the season, his best years were with a solid tight end (Olsen)
Tomlinson

Trade:

DW Toys
Golloday and Juju will be around 35 million/per, which is too much.

Sign Davis or Samuel, Humphries and Manny Sanders...suddenly we don't look so bad at WR.

What's been surprising for me, to this point, is that the WR market has been eerily quiet. Might be the one position where the biggest "Covid" adjustment takes place.

P

I agree we have Cowart for that similar ceiling on Cowart.
Yeah. Perfect DL is
A NT type.
A 3tech type
A guy who can play either as a backup.
A forth guy who’s a smallish passing dune guy. And even that is often a de moving inside on 3rd and long.

CAP INTERMEZZO

Going by Gilmore's deal (one of the few big ones BB signed lately) 5y/65M/40g = 8.5M cap # = 7.7M cap hit (TOP 51 rule)

Id guess the spent around 25M cap space w these 4 moves.
They had about 60 going in (Brown,Bethel, JCJackson, Jakob J incl.)

They could've backloaded them a bit more since they have so much room in future years (by far #1).
Bottom line - plenty left to spend..

The things you can do when your QB isnt eating up 25-35m. Shocking.

Resign:
Thuney (or Andrews)
Guy

Sign:
Van Noye
Tomlinson

Trade:

DW Toys
Thuney won't come back - he'll get a massive offer elsewhere.
Guy maybe, but very cheap. He wasn't as good this year.
Van Noy probably not. Nice connection but he openly said negative stuff abt Pats after leaving.
Golladay priced out. Juju perhaps. Likelier we go after guys like Corey Davis.
Rudolph isn't great. Other vets are better options. Ertz will ask for a fair bit of money.
Tomlinson will be way priced out.
OBJ would be worth ~2nd at least, so def not Harry and a pick. OBJ for Gilmore sounds cool on face but deals like that never happen.

^ Also we probably can't make a crap ton of more big signings.

What's been surprising for me, to this point, is that the WR market has been eerily quiet. Might be the one position where the biggest "Covid" adjustment takes place.
Wouldn't that be great? Particualrly since there are a dozen out there already who would upgrade the Pats WR roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes