PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Dolphins vs Patriots pre game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game one but, it kinda feels like a must win. Saints and Bucs may be really tough games (I could see Saints cratering potentially, Bucs obviously tough game) and @Jets should be a win but road divisional games are usually tough. We could find ourselves at 1-3 if we don't beat the Dolphins.

Often they put their best matchup on one, and double the other. Pass rush will make it easier at times. The difficulty in coverage arises when Tua escapes and buys time. I think the phins need a perfect storm of broken plays (scrambles for big completions) to nab the W.

I think this is exactly what you'll see. Jackson on Parker (with occasional help over the top) and Jones (our fastest CB) on Waddle with consistent safety help. Then you let a combination of Phillips, Dugger, and Williams (who covered him last year) on Gesicki and let the other CB/WR matchups play out as they may. I think we'll be able to give Tua some interesting looks to make him pause, which should allow an improved pass rush to get there.

Who do you have covering Parker and Waddle?
Think I would have come up with what the others have said , Jones on Waddle and Jackson on Parker with help from one of the safeties ? Its not that easy I know , remember Parker gave Gilmore a hard time last year (I think). BB has seen Parker before. As said above if Judon/Uche get to Tua regularly then I think the defence can handle them

How do we feel about JC Jackson as a #1 corner vs. the Dolphins upgraded receiving corps?

It's the one matchup that has me worried, that if somehow Tua has time to operate, we will miss Gilly.

This season is going to look like the old days (like pre-welker) where we run a scheme that spreads the ball around and highlights everyone at times based upon opponent, scheme and coverage.
Henry, Smith, Meyers, Agholor, Bourne, White are all very capable and instead of calling a passing game that is schemed to get one or two top guys open, and try to dictate the coverage on them, it will attack the defense with whichever receiver is in that spot/role.
Nfl pass plays are designed to either use formation and some players routes to work to get a player open or the use combo routes to stress one defender and read off of his reaction. Most teams influence targets to by these play designs and the progressions (patriots with Weiler were probably the heaviest ever in this way) but I think this year you are going to see a big spread in who gets targeted.
Best example was the branch and givens days. Givens particularly could go half a game without seeing the ball, then under a different coverage would catch 4 passes on a drive.

Who do you have covering Parker and Waddle?
Especially early a lot of zone frankly - just like every year's first game so it will depend on which side their WRs line up on.

If man, again it will swap periodically depending on the defensive call with Parker drawing some doubles and likely even Gesicki getting some double teams unless it's seen in the course of the game that Waddle requires one.

This whole "game plan by statistics and draft position" stuff for rookies is more fortune telling anyway.

The Patriots staff will most likely make a defensive plan based on the Dolphins last year's film, then look at some preseason footage, then consider what the Patriot do well and poorly at this point in the season (hence likely more zone looks) and as always take the first series to see what they're actually doing and then adjust to it.

If McD and Mac pull off a playoff berth than I think Josh will have multiple HC job offers next year. I'm hoping Jones like Brady plays with a chip on his shoulder all year over his draft position and by spanking another former rival this Sunday.

Last edited:
How do we feel about JC Jackson as a #1 corner vs. the Dolphins upgraded receiving corps?

It's the one matchup that has me worried, that if somehow Tua has time to operate, we will miss Gilly.

I think I'll be more nervous about it if Gilmore still isn't playing in week 17, when Miami (theoretically) has Fuller back and Waddle has a full season of experience under his belt. I think we have enough to handle them this week. Not that it will be easy, but we have enough.

Especially early a lot of zone frankly - just like every year's first game so it will depend on which side their WRs line up on.

If man, again it will swap periodically depending on the defensive call with Parker drawing some doubles and likely even Gesicki getting some double teams unless it's seen in the course of the game that Waddle requires one.

This whole "game plan by statistics and draft position" stuff for rookies is more fortune telling anyway.

The Patriots staff will most likely make a defensive plan based on the Dolphins last year's film, then look at some preseason footage, then consider what the Patriot do well and poorly at this point in the season (hence likely more zone looks) and as always take the first series to see what they're actually doing and then adjust to it.

Agree that there is a lot of zone early in the year, but one strong suit of our secondary is that everyone has been in it for a year already so running some more exotic stuff should be possible. Jackson, Philips, Dugger, Jones, McCourty, and Williams are all experienced in the system, Mills is the only new guy, so I think they would be confident to run various match and man schemes.

so I think they would be confident to run various match and man schemes.
You could be right. They did that a couple years ago (urrrgh...boogeymen) with a lot of Cover - 1. I'm skeptical just because I believe they'll want to ensure the run defense up front is solidified first with the new additions given that continuity in the back end. Plus running QB usually means more zone too.

You could be right. They did that a couple years ago (urrrgh...boogeymen) with a lot of Cover - 1. I'm skeptical just because I believe they'll want to ensure the run defense up front is solidified first with the new additions given that continuity in the back end. Plus running QB usually means more zone too.

Yup, agreed. Maybe they play zone for a quarter or two, and then switch out of it once they see what Miami is doing.

Fantasy wise, should I start Mac vs Cryami or Russell Wilson vs Indy?
I’ve stashed Mac on my team as a 3rd QB as a wait and see, but realistically from a fantasy perspective, you can’t start him over Wilson right now. Give it a few weeks and see how Mac’s numbers are. It’s difficult not to be a homer in fantasy lol!

Are these new Tight Ends even ready to play? Thought they were hurt? The Miami LT will be cleared to play. You can bank on that.

I think Mac plays well but he is a rookie and makes enough mistakes or misses on a few throws. Also I'm not sure the Pats have anyone on their roster who can cover Waddle.

Phins 24 Pats 20
Henry and Smith are ready. Smith even played in the last preseason game, and they were being very careful with Henry’s shoulder. Henry even said he’s looking forward to playing with Mac on Sunday. They are both ready.

Henry and Smith are ready. Smith even played in the last preseason game, and they were being very careful with Henry’s shoulder. Henry even said he’s looking forward to playing with Mac on Sunday. They are both ready.
Hopefully, Hurting Henry doesn't get, umm, hurt again.

If McD and Mac pull off a playoff berth than I think Josh will have multiple HC job offers next year. I'm hoping Jones like Brady plays with a chip on his shoulder all year over his draft position and by spanking another former rival this Sunday.

if that happens he might be better served to be HCiw.

He would already have his QB and great connection to him.

Some think that DT is a strength. I don't. Godchaux is a question mark for me.

Of course, I am fine with the DE/EDGE players.

Some think that DT is a strength. I don't. Godchaux is a question mark for me.

Of course, I am fine with the DE/EDGE players.
If Godchaux is a question the depth would be the answer.
Godchaux
Guy
Barmore
Anderson
Davis

with Wise able to move inside on passing downs.
That is a lot of quality players and a lot of versatility.
If that’s not a strength, I don’t know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes