PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Dolphins vs Patriots pre game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bill will do everything in his power to make Tua uncomfortable at the LOS before the snap. Ma

See this piece from McBride in the Globe:

“[Belichick] wants to disguise coverages, so ... and he spends a lot of time working on techniques, so if the opposing quarterback is at the line of scrimmage and he’s looking for a tell, depending on how a cornerback is aligned, the depth of a safety, whatever it may be, but everything looks the same,” said Tannenbaum, who worked with Belichick in Cleveland.

“So, pre-snap, you don’t know if it’s going to be man or a zone, and now you’re really making the quarterback slow down in terms of he can’t process information as fast because he doesn’t know where the weakness of the opposing defense is for that play because he’s trying to figure out if they’re in man or zone.’’

So, the 1st game of the MAC JONES era is right around the corner. And we're facing old friend Brian Flores. One storyline that we'll likely see will be the battle of the Bama QBs (TUA v. MAC)

The Patriots had their full roster to start the week. Miami, however, had to place their starting LT and starting TE on the COVID List. Adam Shaheen was on the COVID list in August as a close contact, but has since tested positive. It remains to be seen if he'll be on the list for 5 days or 10-Day full Quarantine.

Here are some previews:

The point is, the only loss to the roster of any consequence would be Thuney, and is there any reason to believe that this OL won't be as good or deep as last year?
While perhaps not fully equivalent - the "replacement" of Thuney (I know they play different positions, but it was a OL for OL) with Trent Brown is significant.

Tua gets exposed. Pats D sacks him at least 4 times and will bring many blitzes. Bill will bring guys from all different directions with Uche, Judon, HT and Winovich off of the edge and Barmore inside. Throws at least one pick as he stares down WR’s.

His game resembles Tebow’s.

Tua gets exposed. Pats D sacks him at least 4 times and will bring many blitzes. Bill will bring guys from all different directions with Uche, Judon, HT and Winovich off of the edge and Barmore inside. Throws at least one pick as he stares down WR’s.

His game resembles Tebow’s.
I couldn’t disagree with your last sentence any more than I do. Tua was EXTREMELY accurate in college, has a good arm, and can extend plays with his feet. His game doesn’t resemble Tebow’s in the least. He’s a pocket passer first. I’d say his game dies resemble a lot of modern day passers, such as Murray, Mahomes, a little, but pocket passer first. Tebow had an average arm and wasn’t accurate, the opposite of Tua. He will present a challenge to our offense.

He came in last year off of a major injury and no mini camps. He has a full year in the system now.

I couldn’t disagree with your last sentence any more than I do. Tua was EXTREMELY accurate in college, has a good arm, and can extend plays with his feet. His game doesn’t resemble Tebow’s in the least. He’s a pocket passer first. I’d say his game dies resemble a lot of modern day passers, such as Murray, Mahomes, a little, but pocket passer first. Tebow had an average arm and wasn’t accurate, the opposite of Tua. He will present a challenge to our offense.

He came in last year off of a major injury and no mini camps. He has a full year in the system now.
Tua has a weak arm, gets rid of the ball too quickly, refuses to throw deep and telegraphs passes. There’s nothing impressive about this guy, even before his injury. You’ll come around in time.

Last edited:
Lol. That's an awesome reference. I will take Mac over Tua all day.
Especially useful for the guy I replied to, a Denver Pats fan. Everybody be like "Maybe Brian Griese can't evade the pass rush" I'm like "Brian Griese couldn't evade his dog."

I think Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith have BIG games, both in the run and pass game. I think they will line up a lot in the 2 TE Formation and try to run like crazy, and Henry will be Mac’s security blanket, Smith will play the BIG WR role. Both are all around beasts. I would guess Harris gets 80+ yards and Stevenson gets 40+.

It’ll be interesting when Harry comes back. Could Mac be the QB that finally turns Harry into a decent NFL WR ? They seemed to have a nice connection in camp and during the preseason games until Harry got hurt (like always).

Are these new Tight Ends even ready to play? Thought they were hurt? The Miami LT will be cleared to play. You can bank on that.

I think Mac plays well but he is a rookie and makes enough mistakes or misses on a few throws. Also I'm not sure the Pats have anyone on their roster who can cover Waddle.

Phins 24 Pats 20

Are these new Tight Ends even ready to play? Thought they were hurt? The Miami LT will be cleared to play. You can bank on that.

I think Mac plays well but he is a rookie and makes enough mistakes or misses on a few throws. Also I'm not sure the Pats have anyone on their roster who can cover Waddle.

Phins 24 Pats 20
I don't know why people think Waddle is going to take over the game. He had 3 catches for 21 yards and managed to get hurt his first pre-season game. I don't think he even played in the 3rd pre-season outing. Or if he did, he didn't have any grabs. I don't think he's ready to take over a game, even with his connection with Tua.

Tua is also still basically a rookie. I think BB does what he does with Rookies and eats him up. Mac is going to be prepped well for what Flores is going to throw at him on Defense. Mac has the better game.

I don't know why people think Waddle is going to take over the game. He had 3 catches for 21 yards and managed to get hurt his first pre-season game. I don't think he even played in the 3rd pre-season outing. Or if he did, he didn't have any grabs. I don't think he's ready to take over a game, even with his connection with Tua.

Tua is also still basically a rookie. I think BB does what he does with Rookies and eats him up. Mac is going to be prepped well for what Flores is going to throw at him on Defense. Mac has the better game.

I agree. Amazing how receivers are over-rated. Some receivers in their prime can take over a game, but still lose. It would be great to have a #1, but I believe 2 TEs are better if you want to win.

I agree. Amazing how receivers are over-rated. Some receivers in their prime can take over a game, but still lose. It would be great to have a #1, but I believe 2 TEs are better if you want to win.
I know, it's amazing how the Falcons had a generational receiving talent and he only managed 4 receptions in a Superbowl with no TD's. I don't think Waddle is going to have much effect on the game one way or the other.

I cant analyze things as well as most of you but my simple take is that if we can control the Dolphins receivers and take away their best threat (Parker/Waddle) then we will win the game. Sounds easy...lol

I know, it's amazing how the Falcons had a generational receiving talent and he only managed 4 receptions in a Superbowl with no TD's. I don't think Waddle is going to have much effect on the game one way or the other.
I don't know if Flores will want to risk injury by using Waddle for returns or not, but if so I wouldn't sleep on his potential impact on the return game. I wouldn't be shocked if he makes an impact faster there than as a receiver (where he still has to learn NFL offenses and defenses).

I cant analyze things as well as most of you but my simple take is that if we can control the Dolphins receivers and take away their best threat (Parker/Waddle) then we will win the game. Sounds easy...lol
I think the key to the game is whether the OL of the Fins can block the Pats pass rush. If the answer is "no" then I think the Pats are likely to win, it doesn't matter how well the receivers are controlled if Tua is on his back.

Maybe, but don't you think there's a possibility Flores knows "exactly" what Bill is going to throw at Tua and prepare him for it?

Who do you have covering Parker and Waddle?

I agree with your assessment. That being said, we have a question marks at
QB
WR
DL
CB

There is nothing abnormal about a playoff contender (any team, really) having question marks every year.
DL?

Who do you have covering Parker and Waddle?

Often they put their best matchup on one, and double the other. Pass rush will make it easier at times. The difficulty in coverage arises when Tua escapes and buys time. I think the phins need a perfect storm of broken plays (scrambles for big completions) to nab the W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back