PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread 2018 Preseason G2: PHI @ NE

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The offense that will start this season is going to be scary...but not in a good way.

The overreactions tonight are just as funny as the overreactions from the Redskins game, guys. Great comedy, so keep it up!
Just like every GDT

Thats because at no point in the game did they slow down the replay enough to see this:

All Chao and almost everyone else saw was Wynn blocking and then suddenly experiencing pain. This shot clearly shows the ankle injury.

But thank god we had time for Zolak drawing and joking with the two bozos downstairs.

The reason everyone is talking about an Achilles is because there is nothing obvious to see in the video. That screenshot from DocFlynn made me feel a bit less panicky because it at least shows his ankle being twisted. Of course none of this means anything.

Apparently, the reason everyone was talking about an Achilles was that they correctly deemed that it was an Achilles injury.

From what I've seen (the highlights), it looked like a rough game from Crossen last night. It looked like Foles targeted him continuously for big plays in the 2nd quarter.

Crossen was definitely a down player in that game. Outside of "Wynn didn't have a good night", it's probably the most obvious take from the game.

If Crossen and JC can shine in the 3rd preseason game, Jason McCourty might need to call unemployment.

I can see them carrying 6 DBs until Jules comes back.

Gilmore
Rowe
Dawson
JJ
Crossen
JC Jackson (bad 57 yard reception last night but I dont think he played poorly)

Ryan Lewis?

Comments:

- Watched NFLN's replay late last night (8-11PM PST)...so wasn't here to comment.

- Wynn's injury hurts man....I knew he was done when he limped off...now him and Matthews....PLEASE NO MORE INJURIES damn it....

- Crossen was "competitive" and I liked what I saw despite him giving up big plays.

- Richards had a PBU...perfectly executed in the EZ....hurts me that Rodney didn't do that in SB42.....ok...moving on...

- Bentley...man...the dude just makes plays. On the first snap...Bentley was covering a receiver outside...and Foles immediately went deep...bad pass...but looked to me that Bentley was still competitive with the receiver for the over thrown ball along the sidelines. Later on he had a good PBU in the EZ despite being in an awkward position...he reached into the receiver's hands to slap the ball way (e.g. Like Sterling Moore did on Lee Evans in the 2011 AFC title game).

- Gilly isn't making the cut, IMO.

- Decker had another ball slip through his hands...Hoyer was on the money there...but Decker might have been worried about the safeties laying him out or something.

- Dorsett played OK, IMO. Brady under threw him on one pass....and another pass was out of bounds, but Dorsett made the catch. I think Dorsett will be good when he has 60 reps in a game. Very limited sample in pre-season, IMO.

- Patterson looked good as I expected, but I'd like to see him catch some balls beyond the LOS with Brady.

Yea I turned the volume down low in the 2nd qtr. I'd had it.

I know that I've repeated myself with this but you can put the volume at just the right level and hear the crowd and the ref but not the announcers. For my boob tube that's level 5 or 6. I call it the Collingsworth strategy.

Trade for who?

At this point I have no idea. If the staff feels they need to find an upgrade for depth they can either trade for someone or sign a tackle once cutdowns have been announced.

The facts are
Bill Belichick believes in a conservative defensive philosophy. This is even more prevalent when he has the best QB in the NFL.

Brian Flores came up through the staff and will engender the philosophy taught him and instructed to him to use by Bill Belichick.

Virtually every preseason the patriot have a blitz package work game. Doing it yesterday is not a signal things have changed.

You literally said he is calling a different defense, then in the next sentence said it was an insult to imply you don’t know defense is vanilla in the preseason.

You will just keep prolonging this because you know you are wrong and won’t admit it.

Hey, if in the regular season we suddenly go back to being quite conservative and/or turtling, I'll be man enough to come back here and issue a mea culpa. I'm not a ****y like you are.

Flores came up in the BB system, but he is going to put his stamp on the defense. No two defensive coordinators are alike, no matter how you want to spin it.

Hey, if in the regular season we suddenly go back to being quite conservative and/or turtling, I'll be man enough to come back here and issue a mea culpa. I'm not a ***** like you are.
Right call me names that makes you a big man. Lmao
Interesting that you come up with a term that describe you though.

However, you still haven’t explained how he could ALREADY be calling the defense differently but at the same time admit that preseason defense is vanilla.

Flores came up in the BB system, but he is going to put his stamp on the defense. No two defensive coordinators are alike, no matter how you want to spin it.
But the overriding philosophy is going to be the same. Or are you saying that despite Belichicks conservative defensive philosophy Flores is going to throw him the finger and be overly aggressive?

• Ha Ha
Reactions: jah
Bryant left Cleveland without a deal.
Just saying.
It wouldnt hurt to have a sit down with Bill Josh Tom and Dez.
Why? He would be terrible here.

Bentley...man...the dude just makes plays. On the first snap...Bentley was covering a receiver outside...and Foles immediately went deep...bad pass...but looked to me that Bentley was still competitive with the receiver for the over thrown ball along the sidelines.

You know what this pass made me think of ? The same ****ing pass he nailed perfectly into an absurdly small window in the SB against Flowers (and DMac coming over) in coverage. Flowers was similarly competitive as Bentley yesterday but the pass was just perfect.

Him missing this pass yesterday pretty much set the stage for him playing closer to who he really is than on that magical night in February.

Right call me names that makes you a big man. Lmao
Interesting that you come up with a term that describe you though.

However, you still haven’t explained how he could ALREADY be calling the defense differently but at the same time admit that preseason defense is vanilla.

But the overriding philosophy is going to be the same. Or are you saying that despite Belichicks conservative defensive philosophy Flores is going to throw him the finger and be overly aggressive?

Yeah, that's definitely what he was saying, Coach Andy. And the philosophy can easily, and has easily, changed year to year depending on the personnel.

I hate these pre-season games. Instead of following the results I just pray for non injury games.
Wynn's loss is terrible and blurred some bright sights of the game. O-line played very well,pass rush and constant pressure was even better.Chung is the man to me,this guy was everywhere. Besides his mistakes in coverage I like Crossen for his aggressiveness and tackling . Speaking of tackling,it is still our biggest problem in defence.Without Hightower the LB's corp is very limp.
Unfortunately Jason McCourty is not the same player he was in Titans.

Patterson looked good as I expected, but I'd like to see him catch some balls beyond the LOS with Brady.

Patterson has been at his most successful and productive (74% catch rate the last couple seasons) when catching short passes (< 3yds beyond the LoS, or behind it) and turning them into big YAC (his yardage the past couple seasons has been about 75% YAC).

A downfield target every so often, to keep defenses honest, might be good. But I wouldn't be going out of my way to try to turn him into a regular downfield receiver. Why mess with success?

I hate these pre-season games. Instead of following the results I just pray for non injury games.
Wynn's loss is terrible and blurred some bright sights of the game. O-line played very well,pass rush and constant pressure was even better.Chung is the man to me,this guy was everywhere. Besides his mistakes in coverage I like Crossen for his aggressiveness and tackling . Speaking of tackling,it is still our biggest problem in defence.Without Hightower the LB's corp is very limp.
Unfortunately Jason McCourty is not the same player he was in Titans.
McCourty played 30 snaps and allowed 1 catch in 2 targets.
What is your expectation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference