PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 mocks

Few rookie mistakes. Forgot Denzel Ward, was debating on him w/ another player & just lost track. Forgot N Chubb & a Miami 2nd rd pick but **** happens.

Here's a 3 round & 1 round mock from Mike & I.

late to this party but want to congratulate you for great effort here . with descriptions and all. paid people out there could learn from you..

late to this party but want to congratulate you for great effort here . with descriptions and all. paid people out there could learn from you..
appreciate that man.

He on my list but when I saw u brought up Cannon I was like sweet cuz I got to interview him.

got another mock coming

Using Dane Brugler’s 7 round mock from yesterday, here’s my latest.

23. Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

Has a lot of the traits B.B. likes from his cornerbacks, especially his athleticism. I don’t think CB is the biggest need but I do think this and next years draft should be about rebuilding the roster for the next generation. Alexander should be a serious consideration for CB2 or for the slot. I seee this as a BPA pick.

31. TRADE: Cleveland trade 35, 150, 175 And 188 for pick 31. Browns trade up ahead of Eagles for Derrius Guice.

35. Lorenzo Carter, LB, Georgia

Ours is a defense that desperately needs athleticism in the front 7 and Carter provides that. I can see him being used similarly to Jamie Collins and provides the additional benefit of being a LB of the edge on pass rush downs. That athleticism and versatility are why he’s my pick.

43. Justin Reid, S, Stanford

Adding Reid and Alexander to this defense really shores up the Long-term future of this secondary whilst adding quality pieces in the shot-term. Reid also adds the leadship element that B.B. appreciates so much.

63. Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest

Fits what the Pats look for in a DE - long arms, plays the run well, can move inside on pass rush downs, a disciplined skilled pass rusher. Pats pass rushers are rarely the super athletic speed rushers. It’s unlikely we’ll have anyone on the roster who would get more than 10 sacks individually but Carter, Rivers, Ejiofor, Flowers,Wise and Clayborn is certainly a deep roster of pass rushers.

95. DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State

With Jordan Matthews on the roster, this is more a pick for the future but Hamilton could step straight into Matthews’ shoes at the end of this year whilst providing cover this year.

TRADE: Patriots trade 150 & 175 for pick 130

130. Luke Faulk, QB, Washington State

I like Lauletta, I really do but his lack of arm strength really does concern me in so far as becoming a future NFL starter is concerned. Faulk has some flaws, but I really do like his pocket presence and his purported intelligence. With a couple of years of development, I do see a future starter in him. But, the lack of draft capital spent here doesn’t preclude us from going QB next year or the year after either.

188. Tremon Smith, CB, Central Arkansas

A long very athletic corner with the ability to get his hands on the ball. Good job we’ve shown interest in him. Love the competitive secondary we’d have in camp.

198. Russell Gage, WR, LSU

I’ve mocked him simply because he’s a special teams demon. If he can be a future slot WR too, all well and good.

210. Julian Taylor, DL, Temple

Long (6’4”), strong (31 reps) and very athletic (33 vert, 4.83 forty at 294lbs). 3-tech developmental prospect.

219. Phillip Lindsay, RB, Colorado

Tiny but extremely physical and an excellent blocker and receiver. A Danny Woodhead clone. If this mock was how the draft goes, Lindsay may bee my favourite player of all - a fan favourite in the making.

So the obvious thing from this mock is no OT and TE. It’s a bad year to need an OT so the news about Garcia being back to full strength is hopeful. I’m OK to roll with Garcia and Waddle for a year rather than reaching for someone like Kolton Miller. As for TE, I’d love to have taken one but I loved the players I took at the different picks over the TE. Leave that position to be a priority next year.

Note: For trades I used Rich Hill’s draft trade chart which maps trades since 2012.

Great job. Agreed about OT completely. If they need another rookie to compete with Garcia, Jelks, Croston they can take one mid draft. Id prefer trading for a vet though (mainly for Waddle inj concerns). Its really a pity that in the last years of Dante there are these poor classes. And its only because these are Dante's final moments I could see Pats go OL (not for positional need). Also always a good investment in roster economy..

Anyhow, as long as Dante is there Im not losing too many thoughts on OL.

Last edited:
Don't be like that. Cherry-picking one bad rep is poor form. You can literally find any OL who has a bad outing. Even Joe Thomas gave up 30+ sacks in his career. Thuney is a very good starter who paved the way in the run game and did well against most pass rushers. His technique is extremely sound, if you know what to look for.

If you don't believe me, try watching more clips of his good reps:

Why Joe Thuney NFL’s most underrated offensive lineman

If you had the sound on for that MIAMI clip you would have heard Gruden say "Thuney gave up two sacks last week vs the BILLS."
Thuney's poor play in that video is due to his underwhelming NFL strength and Billy Price is an upgrade in that department. IMO...Price is an upgrade over Thuney or Andrews, regardless of the perceived positional strength in the minds of fans.

Whatever, he tore a pec at the Combine and could drop into their laps later.

Price is nice sometimes. He also lunges a lot and displays poor balance when redirecting. I do like his playing strength.

He's nowhere near as technically refined as Thuney, Andrews, or Mason, however. Thuney is so far from a liability that it makes me think you just have an axe to grind.

The only center who could start over them is Daniels, imo.

Price is nice sometimes. He also lunges a lot and displays poor balance when redirecting. I do like his playing strength.

He's nowhere near as technically refined as Thuney, Andrews, or Mason, however. Thuney is so far from a liability that it makes me think you just have an axe to grind.

And it’s not just about strength, agility etc. The ability to understand the scheme is just as important. That’s why Andrews could go from UDFA to a starter within a season.

Thuney, Andrews and Mason weren't refined until Dante took over their NFL lives. Price can handle the big interior players better. I think he'll go later after reading more about his pec injury, so we'll see what the Pats do in round 2 of the draft.

Round 2 is something I could tentatively agree with for Price -- my understanding of the Patriots philosophy, however, is that they look for starters in the 1st round. The roster has some gaps where a rookie could claim a starting role, but I don't know that C/G is one of them for this year. Looking at FA OL contracts, I do think it's wise to plan ahead.

When it comes to an injury special in the draft, I prefer Ragnow. More positional flexibility and great tape. He also comes from a program the Patriots like. I'm a big fan.

Daniel Jeremiah has a new mock out.

23 Rashaan Evans
31. Kolton Miller.

Fairly boilerplate and whilst I see better options than Miller, it would be a very sensible draft that locks up two key positions for at least 5 years.

Interestingly, he has Rosen lasting to Buffalo at 12. I’m starting to think, more and more, that Rosen could be the prospect most likely to succeed Brady so that’s an interesting possibility. Trouble is, it means trading up to Miami at 11. Would they hand us Brady’s successor on a plate like that?

Jaire Alexander falls to 28. I’d be very tempted to trade up from 31 if he fell that far.

Jeremiah mock draft 3.0: Browns, Jets, Broncos, Bills pick QBs

I’ve done a lot of comparisons of Miller and Garcia and I don’t understand the hype of Miller. I’d rather keep Garcia and see what happens than take a OT in this weak class.

I think the first 10-15 picks will define what we’re going to be looking at for players, hoping teams go QB heavy and we manage to get a very good impactful D player.

Give me Landry/LVE/Evans for the 23rd and Alexander at 31 and I’d take that in a heartbeat! Ideally I’d like to see Christian Kirk here as well, think he could be Wes Welker for us!

A summary of who has been picked for us in recent mocks.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA and Mike Hughes, CB, UCF
ESPN's Todd McShay: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame and Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama and Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
NFL Media's Bucky Brooks: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA and Leighton Vander Esch, OLB, Boise State
NFL Media's Charley Casserly: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA and Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
NFL Media's Chad Reuter: Harold Landry, DE, Boston College and Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Pro Football Focus' Steve Palazzolo: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State and Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA and Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
CBS Sports' Ryan Wilson: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama and Mike Hughes, CB, UCF
NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame and Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
NFL Draft Scout's Dane Brugler: Harold Landry, DE, Boston College and Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Walter Football.com: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville and Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Patriots.com's Don Banks: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame and Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State

Patriots mock draft round-up: How will team use 2 first-round picks?

A summary of who has been picked for us in recent mocks.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA and Mike Hughes, CB, UCF
ESPN's Todd McShay: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame and Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama and Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
NFL Media's Bucky Brooks: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA and Leighton Vander Esch, OLB, Boise State
NFL Media's Charley Casserly: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA and Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
NFL Media's Chad Reuter: Harold Landry, DE, Boston College and Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Pro Football Focus' Steve Palazzolo: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State and Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA and Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
CBS Sports' Ryan Wilson: Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama and Mike Hughes, CB, UCF
NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame and Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
NFL Draft Scout's Dane Brugler: Harold Landry, DE, Boston College and Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Walter Football.com: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville and Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
Patriots.com's Don Banks: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame and Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State

Patriots mock draft round-up: How will team use 2 first-round picks?

Going strictly by the vote totals, the Pats will be selecting Kolton Miller AND Mike McGlinchey.

...Agreed about OT completely. If they need another rookie to compete with Garcia, Jelks, Croston they can take one mid draft. Id prefer trading for a vet though (mainly for Waddle inj concerns)....
And what team has an extra starting-calibre LT whom they can afford to deal?

As much as I make fun of these draft games, I get bored sometimes, and I keep finding myself drawn back to them. I tried to pick new names and not make each draft a copy of the last one. I'm not saying either of these are ideal situations, but I did find them somewhat interesting to consider. I'm very happy with the players, but I'm not happy at how many good players I passed up -- I suspect I could have done a lot better on the Fanspeak one, but I wanted to go for some of my top OL, and I didn't expect Davenport to fall.

Walk the Mock - Mock Draft Tool

Patriots.png
New England Patriots
Pick Player Pos College
1:23 Derwin James SS Florida St.
1:31 Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
2:11 Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma St.
2:31 James Washington WR Oklahoma St.
3:31 Rasheem Green DE USC
6:23 Genard Avery EDGE Memphis
6:36 Joseph Noteboom OT TCU
7:1 Trevon Young EDGE Louisville

For Fanspeak, I used the consensus board, but I'm not sure it's up to date. Click here to see all the great players I passed on: 2018 NFL Mock Draft via Fanspeak's On the Clock Mock Draft Simulator

23: R1P23
EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
UTSA

31: R1P31
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
BOISE STATE

43: R2P11
C JAMES DANIELS
IOWA
63: R2P31

OT TYRELL CROSBY
OREGON
95: R3P31

WR ANTHONY MILLER
MEMPHIS
198: R6P24

RB BO SCARBROUGH
ALABAMA
210: R6P36

CB DAVONTAE HARRIS
ILLINOIS STATE
219: R7P1

DL JULLIAN TAYLOR
TEMPLE

As much as I make fun of these draft games, I get bored sometimes, and I keep finding myself drawn back to them. I tried to pick new names and not make each draft a copy of the last one. I'm not saying either of these are ideal situations, but I did find them somewhat interesting to consider. I'm very happy with the players, but I'm not happy at how many good players I passed up -- I suspect I could have done a lot better on the Fanspeak one, but I wanted to go for some of my top OL, and I didn't expect Davenport to fall.

Walk the Mock - Mock Draft Tool

Patriots.png
New England Patriots
Pick Player Pos College
1:23 Derwin James SS Florida St.
1:31 Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
2:11 Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma St.
2:31 James Washington WR Oklahoma St.
3:31 Rasheem Green DE USC
6:23 Genard Avery EDGE Memphis
6:36 Joseph Noteboom OT TCU
7:1 Trevon Young EDGE Louisville

For Fanspeak, I used the consensus board, but I'm not sure it's up to date. Click here to see all the great players I passed on: 2018 NFL Mock Draft via Fanspeak's On the Clock Mock Draft Simulator

23: R1P23
EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
UTSA

31: R1P31
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
BOISE STATE

43: R2P11
C JAMES DANIELS
IOWA
63: R2P31

OT TYRELL CROSBY
OREGON
95: R3P31

WR ANTHONY MILLER
MEMPHIS
198: R6P24

RB BO SCARBROUGH
ALABAMA
210: R6P36

CB DAVONTAE HARRIS
ILLINOIS STATE
219: R7P1

DL JULLIAN TAYLOR
TEMPLE

Jullian Taylor convert. Nice.

Don’t know which of those two mocks I like best. The first two picks of the first really stand out but the second has Taylor and Miller so probably that one - I’m a sucker for the later round guys.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back