PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 mocks

Think i'd take this draft all day personally. Ideally i'd like to trade the 3rd and 6th for a 4th and maybe a 7th, if the value isn't there in the 3rd. I took a flyer on Callaway as were good for depth at WR and if he is a total nutter then we can just cut him

23: R1P23
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
BOISE STATE

31: R1P31
EDGE MARCUS DAVENPORT
UTSA

43: R2P11
S JUSTIN REID
STANFORD

63: R2P31
WR ANTHONY MILLER
MEMPHIS

95: R3P31
DL TIM SETTLE
VIRGINIA TECH

198: R6P24
RB AKRUM WADLEY
IOWA

210: R6P36
WR ANTONIO CALLAWAY
FLORIDA

219: R7P1
QB LOGAN WOODSIDE

So today I’ve talked about a potential trade up with Cleveland and BB trading up for Bradley Chubb so let’s test that out in a mock. I’m using Dane Bruglers 7 round mock and Rich Hill’s trade chart.

Pats trade 23, 43, 2018 1st, 2019 4th for Cleveland’s 4 overall.

1.4 Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State

Trade: Raiders trade 45, 110, 2019 3rd for pick 31

45. Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

63. Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond

Trade: Denver trade 113, 149, 160 for 95, 198

110. Brandon Parker, OT, N Carolina A&T

113. Genard Avery, LB, Memphis

149. PJ Hall, DL, SAM Houston St.

160. Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt

Trade: Patriots trade 210, 2019 6th for #206

206. Tremon Smith, CB, Central Arkansas

219. Will Dissly, TE, Washington

Don’t take this too seriously, I was just having a bit of fun testing out a Chubb trade up. Still, got a game changer on defence, an offensive weapon, a couple of linebackers with upside, an OT to compete with Garcia, a very talented defensive tackle, a talented CB and hopefully Jimmy G part deluxe. Basically two potentially killer starters and lots of depth. I did give up a lot in next years draft however, a 1st, 4th and 6th which doesn’t seem likely.

Last edited:
Fwiw, the above mock starkly highlights how much you have to give up to make a trade up like that. I think Chubb would be a transformative player on this defense but I also think this is an important rebuilding two years in terms of adding the next generation of Patriot players (lots of picks this year and next) so I find that hard to square with adding a talent like Chubb.

I gave walk the mock a try and here’s what I got...
My latest mock from walkthemock.com for NE via Default ranking

1:23 - OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
1:31 - CB Jaire Alexander, Louisville
2:11 - DT Taven Bryan, Florida
2:31 - TE Hayden Hurst, South Carolina
3:31 - QB Luke Falk, Washington St.
6:23 - EDGE Genard Avery, Memphis
6:36 - LB Chris Worley, Ohio St.
7:1 - WR Ray-Ray McCloud, Clemson

With Fumagalli going mid 2nd round I felt I had to nab Hurst. Kolton Miller almost fell to the end of the 2nd and Alex Cappa near the end of the 3rd so I’m glad I went with McGlinchey in the 1st. I am hoping Avery is not the next Mamula but I got my binky Worley with the next pick.

Would hate this mock.
Prefer a trade down if the board looks like that.

Think i'd take this draft all day personally. Ideally i'd like to trade the 3rd and 6th for a 4th and maybe a 7th, if the value isn't there in the 3rd. I took a flyer on Callaway as were good for depth at WR and if he is a total nutter then we can just cut him

/QUOTE]

Why on earth would you trade a 3 and 6 for a 4 and 7? You're trading down 2x and
getting nothing in return. A 3 for an early 4 and early 6 makes some sense

If you had the sound on for that MIAMI clip you would have heard Gruden say "Thuney gave up two sacks last week vs the BILLS."
Thuney's poor play in that video is due to his underwhelming NFL strength and Billy Price is an upgrade in that department. IMO...Price is an upgrade over Thuney or Andrews, regardless of the perceived positional strength in the minds of fans.

Whatever, he tore a pec at the Combine and could drop into their laps later.

Sometimes Price gets victimized, too. :)

So this is my second year of going through the draft with you as always its been a pleasure!

I have learnt a lot this year from everyone on this board.. now onto my mock no trades as well.

Round 1

Pick 23 - LVE or EVANS - MLB

I can see both of these players being available to us. I have LVE ahead of Evans by the smallest of margins purely because he fits the BB typical mold of a MLB...

But i will say LVE one year of production does worry me, but i think LVE will be chosen here. It is by the smallest of margins though!

Pick 31 - Corner/Safety/Trade down

With the 31st Pick i take Jaire Alexander, i was close with Hughes but i prefer Alexander.

IF he wasn't injured this season he'd be the best corner alongside Denzel Ward.

One thing i will say his injuries were actually kind of good ones if you can have good injuries, he had a broken hand and a sprained knee. So nothing Red Flagging here!

Alexander is a typical man to man corner, but he can also play a bit in zone to. Has good hands as well despite the low amount of picks.

From tape doesn't seem he was targeted much. He's fast, he's aggressive, he also had experience of punt returns

Round 2

Pick 11 - Lorenzo Carter OLB/DE. I have been his biggest fan since November last year and had a 3rd round grade on him, but his combine has made me grab him earlier than i would actually want to.

Guy is a freak of nature. Has an impact on all aspects of the D and can also be used in special teams as well. Him and Rivers could provide us with a pass rush for the next 5 years! Early on I can see him being used in passing situations to start with until he learns how BB will want him to play against the run

Pick 31 - Mike Gesicki

The whole Gronk issue for me is irrelevant, if he stays or goes to me it doesn't matter.

Gesicki could be a prolific TD option for TB12. I know his blocking is subpar for what we normally look like, but i've seen recent reports that he is improving and starting to learn how to do it better which for me is what matters. Imagine if Dante can do some blocking work with him, could be a steal.

Athletically he's a freak, some of his college plays where he literally runs past players is quite amusing to watch. Just imagine him and gronk in 2 TE sets..

Round 3

Pick 31 - Trade/BPA... Orlando Brown OT

I know this Pick isn't going to be exactly everyones fave but Orlando Brown ignore his combine, all you had to do is look at him and you knew he wasn't going to blow the combine away. I can see him being a great pick for us here, look at his tape. Great player at this pick in the draft. For some reason i feel he will take over cannon if he came here within 2 seasons or less.

Round 6

Pick 24 - ST/BPA

Leon Jacobs - OLB/ILB/ST ACE

Could go higher than this, but hoping he falls.

Will more than likely make the roster as a ST player, but has the ability to become a pass rush threat and handle a lot more duty as he learns. Still Raw but the potential to be a good solid player for us is there.

Pick 36 - PSA

Antonio Callaway - WR/PR

He's one of the best receivers in this class.. reason for him being so low, he has off field issues.. Which is the reason why he has fallen so low in this years draft.

He's an unbelievable punt returner. His Routes could do with more work. He's a very very good prospect and if he didn't have these off field issues he would be there up there in the first round.

Round 7

Pick 1 - Never thought we'd have pick one.. suppose its the 7th round.. does that count?!

Honestly i have no idea who i'd pick here so...

KICKER - Daniel Carson...

Isn't going to hurt to bring someone in to give Gost some competition!

Honestly the 7th Round i had no idea who to pick and where we should go with it, so feel free to change it.

One thing to note is i'd love to have Harold Landry at 23, but cannot see him falling to us at 23.

I don't buy we will trade up for a QB, or that Brady is going to retire.

With Regards to Gronk, if he doesn't want to play then fair enough. Lets get ready for this to happen and bring in Mike Gesicki, he needs work on his blocking but that can be improved.

Hope you all like this Mock, let me know what changes you would make.

I see the upside but I wouldn’t like the Callaway trade, aside from that, I love it. B+ to A grade for me, my only prevarication is that I’m not 100% about Orlando Brown or Gesicki. But I’d be fine with both picks in the slots you’ve got them. The top three picks are A++ for me.

I see the upside but I wouldn’t like the Callaway trade, aside from that, I love it. B+ to A grade for me, my only prevarication is that I’m not 100% about Orlando Brown or Gesicki. But I’d be fine with both picks in the slots you’ve got them. The top three picks are A++ for me.

Yeah Callaway i have actually only just found out every single issue.. its actually ridiculous what he's done. The off field i saw when i looked up was drinking etc..

Orlando Brown for me could be like Cannon, shift some of that excess weight, get him into a proper S&C with the coaches and let Dante have a look at him and see what his real issues could be.

Gesicki was a hard one as ideally i'd like Kirk there but can't seem him falling that late into the second, i see Gesicki as a work in progress with blocking, but with his receiving ability is brilliant!

Leon Jacobs, could easily be a steal. i have no idea where we would play him, but im a huge fan

A man can dream...

Round 1 Pick 27 (N.O.): Jackson, Lamar, QB, Louisville (A+)
Round 1 Pick 31: Williams, Connor, OT, Texas (A)
Round 2 Pick 11: Evans, Rashaan, OLB/ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 2 (NYG): Jones II, Ronald, RB, Southern California (A+)
Round 3 Pick 27 (N.O.): Dawson, Duke, CB, Florida (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (G.B.): Lewis, Tyquan, DE, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 8 (NYG): Cain, Deon, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (G.B.): Bates III, Jessie, FS, Wake Forest (A+)
Round 5 Pick 4 (SEA): Avery, Genard, ILB, Memphis (A+)
Round 6 Pick 6 (T.B.): Armstrong Jr, Dorance, DE/OLB, Kansas (A+)
Round 6 Pick 28 (T.B.): Jackson, JC, CB, Maryland (A+)
Round 6 Pick 31: Flowers, Dimitri, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 6 Pick 39 (MINN): Ateman, Marcell, WR, Oklahoma State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 21 (G.B.): McCray, Mike, OLB, Michigan (A+)
Round 7 Pick 38 (ATL): Reed, DJ, CB, Kansas State (A+)

A man can dream...

Round 1 Pick 27 (N.O.): Jackson, Lamar, QB, Louisville (A+)
Round 1 Pick 31: Williams, Connor, OT, Texas (A)
Round 2 Pick 11: Evans, Rashaan, OLB/ILB, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 2 (NYG): Jones II, Ronald, RB, Southern California (A+)
Round 3 Pick 27 (N.O.): Dawson, Duke, CB, Florida (A+)
Round 4 Pick 1 (G.B.): Lewis, Tyquan, DE, Ohio State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 8 (NYG): Cain, Deon, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 4 Pick 33 (G.B.): Bates III, Jessie, FS, Wake Forest (A+)
Round 5 Pick 4 (SEA): Avery, Genard, ILB, Memphis (A+)
Round 6 Pick 6 (T.B.): Armstrong Jr, Dorance, DE/OLB, Kansas (A+)
Round 6 Pick 28 (T.B.): Jackson, JC, CB, Maryland (A+)
Round 6 Pick 31: Flowers, Dimitri, FB, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 6 Pick 39 (MINN): Ateman, Marcell, WR, Oklahoma State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 21 (G.B.): McCray, Mike, OLB, Michigan (A+)
Round 7 Pick 38 (ATL): Reed, DJ, CB, Kansas State (A+)
I did a draft on first pick was almost identical to this.

I tried the most updated board at Fan Speak, and instead of choosing my players, I resolved to take the "BPA" approach and simply pick whomever was their top rated player each time it was my pick, regardless of position or scheme fit (I was bored). The only time I cheated was at 198, because we had already taken a linebacker, so I took the second guy in their top rating (Hercules). I was actually quite surprised at how well this turned out. I thought it would be a disaster, but this is a reasonably decent haul of talent and scheme fit. That's encouraging, I suppose, going into draft day: even if I miss all my binkies, we can still get solid players.

23: R1P23
CB JOSH JACKSON
IOWA

31: R1P31
LB LEIGHTON VANDER ESCH
BOISE STATE

43: R2P11
C BILLY PRICE
OHIO STATE

63: R2P31
TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA

95: R3P31
RB MARK WALTON
MIAMI (FLA.)

198: R6P24
EDGE HERCULES MATA'AFA
WASHINGTON STATE

210: R6P36
OT BRANDON PARKER
NORTH CAROLINA A&T

219: R7P1
DL DU'VONTA LAMPKIN
OKLAHOMA

Round 7

Pick 1 - Never thought we'd have pick one.. suppose its the 7th round.. does that count?!

Honestly i have no idea who i'd pick here so...

KICKER - Daniel Carson...

Isn't going to hurt to bring someone in to give Gost some competition!

The Pats actually had a private workout with kicker Matthew McCrane, Kansas State. Really small guy, though --- 5100/165.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back