PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Not sure if @reamer or @BaconGrundleCandy have seen footage of Nate Wozniak he’s a TE who is genuinely 6ft 9 and some say could be 6ft 10..

Trying to find footage of him but struggling at the moment.

Found two very interesting Safety Prospects.

Marcus Allen is classed as a FS not sure if we would move him into more of a Chung role. He’s listed as 6-1’205.

The second prospect is classed as a SS Kyzir White 6-3’215. Very physical and could easily play linebacker if he added some mass! Covers TE,WR and RB. So could be very useful,’is one to watch as a potential “STAR” linebacker/safety hybrid.

Not sure if @reamer or @BaconGrundleCandy have seen footage of Nate Wozniak he’s a TE who is genuinely 6ft 9 and some say could be 6ft 10..

Marcus Allen is classed as a FS not sure if we would move him into more of a Chung role. He’s listed as 6-1’205.

The second prospect is classed as a SS Kyzir White 6-3’215. Very physical and could easily play linebacker if he added some mass! Covers TE,WR and RB. So could be very useful,’is one to watch as a potential “STAR” linebacker/safety hybrid.

Haven't seen anything on Wozniak. I'll try to do some research.

White has been my favorite candidate for the star role all season. He does very well in coverage (in fact, he's taken enough snaps at corner this season to qualify for PFF awards -- I believe their minimum cutoff was 130 corner snaps -- and posted the best passer rating allowed of all Big-12 corners), and he's a strong, secure tackler who often ends up around the football. Along with Vea and Evans, he's on my short list of "must draft" players. Too bad I'm not a GM. :p

Haven't seen anything on Wozniak. I'll try to do some research.

White has been my favorite candidate for the star role all season. He does very well in coverage (in fact, he's taken enough snaps at corner this season to qualify for PFF awards -- I believe their minimum cutoff was 130 corner snaps -- and posted the best passer rating allowed of all Big-12 corners), and he's a strong, secure tackler who often ends up around the football. Along with Vea and Evans, he's on my short list of "must draft" players. Too bad I'm not a GM. :p

Glad I’ve started to get this STAR role understanding! He seems to read the game very well and doesn’t miss a lot of tackles at all.

Trying to go through some prospects at every position at the moment so,’you will be getting a fair few mentions at the moment.

I haven't heard anything on the clemson players. Are they staying in school? Dabo has a habit of keeping his players in school for his benefit unlike saban.

I haven't heard anything on the clemson players. Are they staying in school? Dabo has a habit of keeping his players in school for his benefit unlike saban.

From what I've heard, the Dline is very close. They're likely to all stick together until next year at least.

I think Wilkins is the main one I’ve seen so far!

I’d also like to take Da’ron Payne as well. Guy is a freakish strength

From Minne. 5th year guy. Only watched them on TV tbh.

I think Wilkins is the main one I’ve seen so far!

I’d also like to take Da’ron Payne as well. Guy is a freakish strength

Isn’t Payne only 20 years old?

These clemson players ruined the draft by returning.

These clemson players ruined the draft by returning.

Next year’s draft will be epic for DL. Clemson’s line, Bosa and Dremont Jones from OSU. Gary-Michigan,
Buggs-Bama, Thompson-Georgia, Allen-Kentucky.

I’d trade my 1st to a sub-500 team for their first in 2019.

@reamer Hi! I asked you about Tim Williams and Corey Davis last year and you gave a great response. This year if you have time I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on Darius Phillips, Dallas Goedart, and Josh Allen (linebacker). I would be thrilled if we land any of these guys in round 2. Thanks :)

@reamer Hi! I asked you about Tim Williams and Corey Davis last year and you gave a great response. This year if you have time I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on Darius Phillips, Dallas Goedart, and Josh Allen (linebacker). I would be thrilled if we land any of these guys in round 2. Thanks :)

I know Josh Allen, Kentucky LB, went back to school.

Wow, thanks! I appreciate the shout out. I'm not always right -- I've missed on a lot of prospects -- but I do try to put in the time to review players. I've done the most work on Phillips and Allen (although he's going back for his senior season, so I won't really comment until next year). Goedart looks great in limited viewing, but @BaconGrundleCandy might be able to give you a more comprehensive breakdown.

Darius Phillips is one of my favorite corners. He reminds me of Butler so much. They're both a little undersized, but play with tenacity and fire. Phillip's ball production stands out. He's consistently making plays on the football. I particularly like Phillip's ability to be disruptive after the catch. He is able to force fumbles and he will tackle in the run game. If the ball ever comes lose, he can take it to the house. He's a dangerous return man, and his quick feet and ability to make sharp cuts show up in coverage as well as on special teams.

He plays with good balance. He has sudden acceleration. I'm not sure his top end speed is elite (although it's very good), but because he's so explosive in short areas, I don't think it matters much. Due to his size he'll be considered a slot corner, but he can play outside , too, with his quickness and awareness of what the quarterback is trying to do. He's very productive. If my numbers are right, he has 6 combined 6 kick and punt returns for touchdowns, 5 pick-sixes, 2 receiving touchdowns, and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Oh, and he also forced that fumble. If I recall, that's the FBS record for most returns (defense and special teams combined).

Knock on him will be his size and level of competition, but he has still fared well against bigger schools. Keep in mind that he also practiced against Corey Davis for a few years. Despite Davis' slow start in the NFL, largely because of nagging injury problems, he's still shown a lot of potential; that one-handed touchdown grab against us on Saturday was certainly impressive. He'll have a chance to alleviate concerns about competition level at the Senior Bowl next week. I'm excited to see him practice and play.

Right now he's projected as a 4th round pick by most sites I've visited. I think he'll ultimately go in the 3rd, or even sneak into the back end of the 2nd. If he's still there at 96, then I think that would be great value. Personally, I would be willing to take him at 64, depending on how the board falls. He reminds me a lot of the characteristics of Cyrus Jones, who we took in that range, although I think Phillips is a much more reliable player. Who knows how Jones' story will turn out, but he may not make the team next year, and Phillips brings the same skillset to the table (returner, slot corner capable of playing outside, etc).

If MIN doesn't start him it's hard to picture him, not starting elsewhere and sitting behind Brady
I agree but think he would be too expensive. Always been a fan since watching him come off the bench at halftime to bring his team back when he was too injured to start the game.

A ton of draft talent on display tonight.

Fitzgerald of Alabama and smith of Georgia will be off the board by 32.

But Evans (u of a), Harrison (u of a) Payne ( u of a ) Ridley (u of a)should all be there at 32. What is bb to do?
Daron Payne, all in!!

A later round prospect that I like what I see from so far.

I think we could used a quality back up for both Harmon and DMAC, and LTR for Dmac.
A little scouting report on him/i.e

Natrell Jamerson, S, Wisconsin
Height: 6-0. Weight: 198.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Projected Round (2018): 3-5.
1/6/18: Jamerson broke into the starting lineup as a senior and turned in a quality season for the Badgers with 51 tackles, 10 passes broken up and two interceptions. Jamerson has some versatility having played some cornerback for Wisconsin as well as returning kicks on special teams. Jamerson earned an invitation to the East-West Shrine. Some league sources say that Jamerson has a high IQ and character

Read more: WalterFootball.com: 2018 NFL Draft: Safety Rankings
Read more at WalterFootball.com: 2018 NFL Draft: Safety Rankings

What PFF had to say before the orange bowl

"The gold standard in tackling efficiency this season, Jamerson had the second-most snaps in run defense and tied for the most total tackles attempts against the run, without missing a tackle. He missed a tackle in the conference championship game after a reception, but prior to that, was the only safety with at least 300 snaps against both the pass and the run without a missed tackle. In all, he recorded 48 total tackles in 49 attempts on the season, graded positively in every game and recorded two interceptions and six pass breakups for a 56.7 passer rating when targeted in coverage. His first season with extended playing time in Madison proved to be valuable for Jamerson to break out this year. – @PFF_Cam"

I still think Demarius Travis can be a good replacement for Jordan Richards. Looked good to me in preseason and has gotten a few black jerseys during the year

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back