PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Did jaylon ferguson from LA Tech turned pro?

If we're going to Draft a QB there are only one i really like, maybe two but i prefer Rudolph.

Mason Rudolph - Massive Arm, Big Frame. Still learning the touch throws but looks like a good prospect, has a very good deep ball as well. Comes from a spread scheme. Sit him behind Brady for a few years.

Just done another mock draft.

1st - CB- Denzel Ward
2a - LB - Malik Jefferson
2b - WR- Christian Kirk or Tate. Chose Kirk.
3rd - TE- Troy Fumalangi
4th (comp) - RB - Bo Scarbrough

Today has been rather boring.. done multiple mock drafts on various sites. Two common things was apparent.

Evans, is well within are target for the first round.
Kirk/Tate will be there at the end of the second.

Oh and Carter has fallen to the 4th round on a lot of boards. Could be a steal.

Worth everyone having a go at the mocks as gives a rough idea on talent that could be there.

Just done another mock draft.

1st - CB- Denzel Ward
2a - LB - Malik Jefferson
2b - WR- Christian Kirk or Tate. Chose Kirk.
3rd - TE- Troy Fumalangi
4th (comp) - RB - Bo Scarbrough
What a ****in haul that would be (very unlikely come Draft Day)

- Ward is projected be a Chris Harris type
- Jefferson would be an awesome LB to add to 54 and Van Noy with Flowers and Roberts as depth
- Kirk is a first round talent to me, much needed youth movement on O weaponry, overdue
- Fumagali should be a very solid TE, can run 2 TE sets
- Bo steps in as a LGB-type closer and power back with some explosion

WOW

What a ****in haul that would be (very unlikely come Draft Day)

- Ward is projected be a Chris Harris type
- Jefferson would be an awesome LB to add to 54 and Van Noy with Flowers and Roberts as depth
- Kirk is a first round talent to me, much needed youth movement on O weaponry, overdue
- Fumagali should be a very solid TE, can run 2 TE sets
- Bo steps in as a LGB-type closer and power back with some explosion

WOW

Agree, would be up there with the 2010 and 2011 draft I think it was?!

Can’t see Ward falling though, unless he has a horrible combine.

Jefferson would be good, even more so after seeing Myles Jack last night helps to have speed their for covering HBs.

Kirk I cannot see him falling to the end of the second round really, but I’ve done about 14 different mock drafts on lots of sites and all seem to have him as a late second, which I don’t get. I have him as a Middle first rounder to middle of the second.

Troy Fumalagni - is a steal in the late 3rd. Still looking for another TE though - this was more of a luxury pick.

Bo Scarborough - Brutal, still not 100% sold on him due to being a RB in Alabama. Need to look at more Ground and Pound backs. As we missed Blount this year in my opinion.

@reamer think we could be getting your LB...

Evans seems to be falling for some reason even into the second round. The highest I’ve seen him go is 28 so far.

He's not a Patriots-type player.

I've been working more on the corners in this draft class. After watching the majority of Carlton Davis' games for the past two years, I'm on the verge of switching up my rankings and putting him at CB #1. Incredibly physical. He will hit and tackle. Very good at disrupting downfield and contesting the catch point. Doesn't give up on plays. Aggressive player with long arms who uses them to swipe the ball. He needs to clean up his footwork, and he doesn't always punch properly in press man, but overall there's a LOT to like about him.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of Vea and Evans, because I think they'll be out of reach. If the corner class goes in the order that I think it will (CB/S Fitzpatrick, CB Jackson, CB Ward), then there will be a chance that Davis is available at the end of the round. Hughes, McFadden, and Alexander will all be in play for the 3rd or 4th guy taken. I'm a fan of Davis, Alexander, and Hughes. Any of them could be a good match with Gilmore (assuming Butler moves on in FA). Davis has worked his way to the top for me, however, after further review.

Who are our Rutgers picks this year?

Potentially Kemoko Turay. He needs to get stronger, but he's got a great speed rush and impressive flexibility. At the very least, he can block kicks:

15873406-mmmain.jpg

AR-140929685.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

BzJ5pUSCYAAq4dL.jpg

636379850890257890-ASBBrd-11-04-2015-PressMon-1-C001--2015-11-03-IMG-ASB-1005-Rutgers-Mic-1-1-V8CES06Q-L704311013-IMG-ASB-1005-Rutgers-Mic-1-1-V8CES06Q-1-.jpg

I've been working more on the corners in this draft class. After watching the majority of Carlton Davis' games for the past two years, I'm on the verge of switching up my rankings and putting him at CB #1. Incredibly physical. He will hit and tackle. Very good at disrupting downfield and contesting the catch point. Doesn't give up on plays. Aggressive player with long arms who uses them to swipe the ball. He needs to clean up his footwork, and he doesn't always punch properly in press man, but overall there's a LOT to like about him.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of Vea and Evans, because I think they'll be out of reach. If the corner class goes in the order that I think it will (CB/S Fitzpatrick, CB Jackson, CB Ward), then there will be a chance that Davis is available at the end of the round. Hughes, McFadden, and Alexander will all be in play for the 3rd or 4th guy taken. I'm a fan of Davis, Alexander, and Hughes. Any of them could be a good match with Gilmore (assuming Butler moves on in FA). Davis has worked his way to the top for me, however, after further review.

I'm thinking corner and olb too. Our perimeter defense has just been terrible vs backs. I think once we get Hightower back and flanked by Van Noy and another athletic lb we'll be able to defend that edge much better in our base.

Was thinking dt and de. But, Butler and Wise have played well. Guy has improved as the year has gone on. Plus, we get Valentine back. Rivers missed the year. We have some bodies on the DL. Tackling is your key point. If a guy like Oliver is similiar in coverage but not willing to tackle. BB will draft the kid who can tackle. Rightfully so. We saw at the end of the Minny/NO game how db's who can't tackle can end your season.

I just wanted to add this guy in the UDFA prospects thread being buried deep in WR pile when I discovered Miller already has him in top 100. So I'll put him here. Nothing ecstatic but it would be nice to have a big receiver in the mix who looks nothing can break him while he's breaking all the tackles.. if he falls to the lower rounds or out.

Just the highlight reel I could find:

DW: What NFL team did you grow up rooting for?
KR: The team that I’ve been rooting for the longest has been the New England Patriots, but my family’s really big on the Cowboys, so those are the two teams that I’ve been rooting for.

Last edited:
A guy I'm watching closely, since we know that the Patriots have ties to the Vanderbilt team: Film Study: Vanderbilt's Oren Burks, the latest in football evolution

Nice find.

I have a special HYB/star section this year. Of course just as I started it before season, BB trades for M.Flowers and he even exceeded my not too shy (though much disputed) expectations. Unfortunately he is a free agent and will likely go on the market. With two coaches leaving for new teams the chances of him staying are that much smaller. So at the end, looking for a hybrid/star prospect could make sense although Id prefer M.Flowers to stay..

My Hyb/star watchlist includes: Harrison, Kyzir White, Leonard, O'Daniel, Bierria, Tray Matthews, Corey Thompson, Beal, Griffin, Travin Howard, Corey Reyes..
___

btw - Pats udfa S/ST Thompson is now w SEA listed as LB.
Demarius Travis who remained all year on NE PS could have some star potential as well..

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back