PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Not a big fan of the LT class. Mcglinchy is a good run blocker, but doesn't make the game look easy, the way most top 10 LTs do. Technique needs work, but Okorafor looks like a future pro bowl tackle. Size, strength, and suddenness. He has a great frame and looks very athletic, although he's still raw. Don't like Orlando Brown; lacks mobility and gives up on plays very quickly. He needs to drop weight and improve pad level. Jamarco Jones and Bentley Spain are intriguing mid round guys. Spain is fairly agile with long arms.

I'll eventually get to more in depth breakdowns, but time is scarce these days. Tough to keep up.

I'd go M.M. in round 2. I like M. Rankin also.

Not a big fan of the LT class. Mcglinchy is a good run blocker, but doesn't make the game look easy, the way most top 10 LTs do. Technique needs work, but Okorafor looks like a future pro bowl tackle. Size, strength, and suddenness. He has a great frame and looks very athletic, although he's still raw. Don't like Orlando Brown; lacks mobility and gives up on plays very quickly. He needs to drop weight and improve pad level. Jamarco Jones and Bentley Spain are intriguing mid round guys. Spain is fairly agile with long arms.

I'll eventually get to more in depth breakdowns, but time is scarce these days. Tough to keep up.

I'm with you on Okorafor. He looks nice.

I know Reamer is with me on Duke Ejiofor but I'll take any feedback. Haven't heard this anywhere.

Duke Ejiofor , Everson Griffen comp?

I know Reamer is with me on Duke Ejiofor but I'll take any feedback. Haven't heard this anywhere.

Duke Ejiofor , Everson Griffen comp?

Hmmmmmmm. Interesting. Similar frames and styles, but I think Griffen is more of a power player. Loved him the year he came out. People had concerns about his maturity and level of production, but I was 100% sold on his chances in the league. I remember wanting him, and then Houston the next year. What a pair of bookends that would have been!

Anyway, from what I've seen, Ejiofor has more refined hand usage and varies his rush techniques, although Griffen had a devastating spin move and showed pretty good speed for his size. Ejiofor is a more polished prospect, but Griffen is the better athlete. I think there's a big difference in playing strength. Don't get me wrong; I have Ejiofor as my top edge guy for the Patriots, and I like him a lot, but I'm not sure that he's as strong against the run, or can set the edge the way that we usually want.

I like the comp, though. Maybe with some more physical development, it will pan out.

Just done a mock 3 round draft. Wouldn't mind the first two picks... 3rd round choice was just the best rated on the draft board.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.PNG
    IMG_1271.PNG
    226.8 KB · Views: 17
I always watch Georgia because my college roommate was a huge UGA fan, and Javon Wims is quietly having a really good season. The touchdown catch he just made against Florida is absolutely NFL caliber. He's a big guy with a basketball background, and looks like a red zone weapon. One to watch.

Lorezno Carter 6ft 5 242lbs (Georgia)

Carter is a 3-4 Outside linebacker. I think he could also play in a 4-3 due to his size but potentially his weight will let him down here from being a 4-3 DE.

Has a very good motor and seems to get to the QB and hit them harder than they think. Once he hits a QB there always seems to be a fumble. He also will bring other pass rushers into the game. As he can Often take onwards of two Blocks at a time. Which leads to others making the play.

He seems to have a very good functional strength that allows him to go 1-2-1 and push the Tackles back. He can also get round the bend as well.

Haven't seen him in massive coverage but seems Ok.

1st Round talent. Could be Mid to late. Depends how his season goes.

Pro;

Gets to the QB and makes plays.
Doesn't bite on the Zone read
Powerful

Cons;
Haven't seen a lot in coverage
Might be gone before we pick.

Sorry if i may of over thought on this and it isn't great but its first time doing this so hopefully it's ok.

Will try and do a LB a week.

Lorezno Carter 6ft 5 242lbs (Georgia)

Carter is a 3-4 Outside linebacker. I think he could also play in a 4-3 due to his size but potentially his weight will let him down here from being a 4-3 DE.

Has a very good motor and seems to get to the QB and hit them harder than they think. Once he hits a QB there always seems to be a fumble. He also will bring other pass rushers into the game. As he can Often take onwards of two Blocks at a time. Which leads to others making the play.

He seems to have a very good functional strength that allows him to go 1-2-1 and push the Tackles back. He can also get round the bend as well.

Haven't seen him in massive coverage but seems Ok.

1st Round talent. Could be Mid to late. Depends how his season goes.

Pro;

Gets to the QB and makes plays.
Doesn't bite on the Zone read
Powerful

Cons;
Haven't seen a lot in coverage
Might be gone before we pick.

Sorry if i may of over thought on this and it isn't great but its first time doing this so hopefully it's ok.

Will try and do a LB a week.

The other linebacker from Georgia has been lights out as well! That kid is amazing!

But if we get Carter and Evans from Alabama, we are set at linebacker for a while.

I like 3 of the dt's I've seen. They're all a little different. Vea's your 1-tech
run stuffer, M. Hurst Jr. looks like a healthy D. Easley. And pops was
a pretty good player for us:) and C. Wilkins is a combo of two. I'd love
to get Wilkins or Hurst. Think we might get a player closer to Vea's talent
later or in free agency.

What do you think of Malik Jefferson - LB - Texas? Matt Miller has him
going to us in his latest mock. Hurst and Jefferson would greatly improve
the athleticism on our Front 7.

I like 3 of the dt's I've seen. They're all a little different. Vea's your 1-tech
run stuffer, M. Hurst Jr. looks like a healthy D. Easley. And pops was
a pretty good player for us:) and C. Wilkins is a combo of two. I'd love
to get Wilkins or Hurst. Think we might get a player closer to Vea's talent
later or in free agency.

What do you think of Malik Jefferson - LB - Texas? Matt Miller has him
going to us in his latest mock. Hurst and Jefferson would greatly improve
the athleticism on our Front 7.

I like Jefferson a lot. He is stupidly athletic and seems to get to sideline to sideline very well. I need to watch some more tape of him. If he's there at later 1st rounds I'd take him another one I like is Roquan Smith from Georgia.

He's slightly more a HT build. There's not a lot of those in the draft and even then he's a bit undersized I think... ( feel free to correct me)

If Smith/Vita/Da'ron Payne/Jefferson/Carter are there at the later rounds our D could be in good hands but all depends. The fact we have managed to get a early 2nd rounder has helped us a lot already depending what we do with it.

Jefferson's listed at 6'3" 238lb. If he is, easy to project him to 245-250. Plenty of size for 4-2-5 lb.

Jefferson's listed at 6'3" 238lb. If he is, easy to project him to 245-250. Plenty of size for 4-2-5 lb.

6'15, 240 - thats enough size but he still lacks some power, toughness.
He is very explosive, improved in front 7 traffic but still relatively easily blocked so he remains liability in clear run situations. They move him outside at times in those situations.

I wonder what BB thinks of him. Stopping the run is #1 job of Pat MLB. His measurables are almost identical to Mayo but I don't see him as a King of interior esp. in running situations. He can play every LB position so you can move him around and would be good complementary piece to KVN and High with Roberts coming in when situation dictates probable run.

Id be surprised if they go for any LB with their top 2 picks. After that Malik will probably be gone. Solid LB talent should be available in 100-200 range where Pats should have 4 picks..

I was hoping for Beckwith this past draft. Once we dealt a lot of picks, figured it wouldn't happen. There usually are some good players there. Maybe, late 3rd

I think this draft is shaping up to have a really deep 2nd round.

I could see at least 15 guys with 1st round grades being taken in the second round.

It really depends on how many qb’s and rb’s go in the first round.

Ps: watched Quenton demps the og from Notre Dame against N.C. state. That guy is a beast. So freaking strong! Zack Martin part 2.

I could see at least 15 guys with 1st round grades being taken in the second round.

Ps: watched Quenton demps the og from Notre Dame against N.C. state. That guy is a beast. So freaking strong! Zack Martin part 2.

I agree, this is a very important draft for us. Not saying previous drafts haven't been just feel this draft could be special for us.

Phone?

Think you mean Nelson?
He's the best OL in the entire draft including OT. So agile and quick. Brings a physicality you just don't see nowadays. Def up there with Martin in terms of a prospect.

Phone?

Think you mean Nelson?
He's the best OL in the entire draft including OT. So agile and quick. Brings a physicality you just don't see nowadays. Def up there with Martin in terms of a prospect.

My bad! Thanks for catching that.

My bad! Thanks for catching that.

Happens to me all the time. Prob shouldn't have said anything I knew who u were talking abt. Wasn't trying to be an ass.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back