PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Maybe not in NE but San Fran just picked Thomas top 5 and their similar players. Outside early, inside on $ downs. Both are almost identical I believe at, around 6'3/255. Shooters that can also win outside.

We see it every week, every game. A more athletic defensive player taking advantage of less athletic, slower offensive linemen.

I think he'll be used like this

I haven't heard anything about Duke O.T.F. He's made an effort to be more visible to the media despite being a guy that would rather sit in the background and let others do that sort if stuff. Shows me he understands you have to do some things you'd rather not to take a leadership role.
He's passionate and very competitive. Has seen 6 former players go in to play on Sundays, so he def has that hunger to get there as well.

Been A Berrios fan for a while and happy for him. Reminds me a lil bit of Welker in college. His teammates and coaches love him as well. You can tell hes a worker when the whole program is pulling for you.

Last edited:
Not mentioned nearly enough. Prob lighter then Thomas from last year but games are similar. He's a shooter that knifes through gaps with his great quicks. Motor is legit and he can rush from the edge. At times has some trouble with lead blocks but remember hes prob playing around 255 rn.

I just hope that Hercules goes to the Rams so he can line up next to Samson.

I'm having trouble latching on to prospects this year the way that I did last year. There are a handful of guys I like, but I don't think I'll have quite as many draftable grades this year, although it's still early. We'll see how it plays out.[/QUOTE]

Top heavy with talent. Not sure about the depth yet.

Maybe not in NE but San Fran just picked Thomas top 5 and their similar players. Outside early, inside on $ downs. Both are almost identical I believe at, around 6'3/255. Shooters that can also win outside.

We see it every week, every game. A more athletic defensive player taking advantage of less athletic, slower offensive linemen.

I think he'll be used like this

I haven't heard anything about Duke O.T.F. He's made an effort to be more visible to the media despite being a guy that would rather sit in the background and let others do that sort if stuff. Shows me he understands you have to do some things you'd rather not to take a leadership role.
He's passionate and very competitive. Has seen 6 former players go in to play on Sundays, so he def has that hunger to get there as well.

Been A Berrios fan for a while and happy for him. Reminds me a lil bit of Welker in college. His teammates and coaches love him as well. You can tell hes a worker when the whole program is pulling for you.

Hercules and Solomon are quite different size unfortunately for the former.
HM - 6'15/252 (nds #'s which are mostly close to combine)
ST - 6'25/273 (combine)

I liked Thomas a lot on college tape. However despite some nice moments (esp. in Arizona game you posted) his performances overall were well underwhelming so far & SF fans are currently furious w the pick (not that that has any barring on his future;))

For Hercules I really don't know what his position could be. He's so exciting to watch but can't imagine he can actually have NFL inside DL career. He can play there situationally sure ..

Do you remember any other interior DL of that size that played successfully in NFL as a starter?
What other starting position could he take in NE? (didn't watch him enough to tell)
__

re Dawson i meant on the field stuff (hence “after the whistle“). In two games i sporadically watched he had plays (or “after plays“) that were borderline ejection from game. Its nice to hear what you're saying about him off-field since I really wouldn't mind him @NE

Hercules and Solomon are quite different size unfortunately for the former.
HM - 6'15/252 (nds #'s which are mostly close to combine)
ST - 6'25/273 (combine)

I liked Thomas a lot on college tape. However despite some nice moments (esp. in Arizona game you posted) his performances overall were well underwhelming so far & SF fans are currently furious w the pick (not that that has any barring on his future;))

For Hercules I really don't know what his position could be. He's so exciting to watch but can't imagine he can actually have NFL inside DL career. He can play there situationally sure ..

Do you remember any other interior DL of that size that played successfully in NFL as a starter?
What other starting position could he take in NE? (didn't watch him enough to tell)
__

re Dawson i meant on the field stuff (hence “after the whistle“). In two games i sporadically watched he had plays (or “after plays“) that were borderline ejection from game. Its nice to hear what you're saying about him off-field since I really wouldn't mind him @NE

I don't see why he can't play a role similar to Trey Flowers, rather than playing inside on a permanent basis. Similar size. So quick inside. It's incredibly fun to watch.

Everywhere I look has him at 6'2/255. That's actually pretty similar to 6'3/270 esp when you take into account that Mata'afa Could easily add a few lbs.

I never suggested he would play inside on a permanent basis. Outside early and inside on $ downs. You can move him all over.

As for SF fans, they might have a great defense in a year or two. Tons of talent that will only get restocked this April. I'd be pumped about that defenses future.

As for Dawson that stuff doesn't bother me that much as long as there's no flag. I think that stuff could be railed in by a pro coach.

Still trying to find linebackers that I really like this year. So if anyone has any extra info or names let me know

Still trying to find linebackers that I really like this year. So if anyone has any extra info or names let me know

Sure.

Tremaine Edmunds -- very similar to last year's Cunningham.
Josh Allen (Kentucky) -- covers receivers, but still tied for 5th most sacks nationally
Skai Moore -- basically a big safety; double digit career interceptions; binkie
Nick DeLuca -- poor man's Luke Kuechly
Malik Jefferson -- Hightower without the instincts, but better speed
Fred Warner -- another coverage type with good speed/versatility
Harold Landry -- poor man's Von Miller
Rashaan Evans -- little Deion Jones to his game; not as fast, but better edge rusher

These 2 are pretty good. Big fan of Smith who I was hoping would stay under the radar but he's prob the best LB in the country right now.

He's a good one. Natural instincts and once he finds his read he has super quicks. One of those guys who always around the ball. Smart kid who watches film from the way he plays. Doesn't bite on obvious r.p.o. or misdirection. Natural Blitzer who shows nice flexibility. He's a tone setter that hits hard.

Clemson
Kendall Joseph and Dorian O Daniel are two guys worth checking out. Both are very underrated in that D. Joseph flashes athleticism and thumps. Twitchy. Daniel is a versatile player you can move around some.

Sure.

Josh Allen (Kentucky) -- covers receivers, but still tied for 5th most sacks nationally
Rashaan Evans -- little Deion Jones to his game; not as fast, but better edge rusher

I'm very intrigued by Allen and Warner.

I should also mention that my player comps are extremely loose, and are meant more as a starting point or a thumbnail sketch of the player's style and strengths, rather than true, comprehensive comparisons. I may do a breakdown thread later in the year, like I started with my pass rusher thread last year, but I'm a little busier these days with the newborn.

Jefferson is the one I like the most this year. Think it's just the raw speed more than anything and that's what we are lacking in the LB group. Will have a good look at all of these and may do an update..

In the meantime a poor mans Luke Kechuly and Von il bloody take that!

I don't see why he can't play a role similar to Trey Flowers, rather than playing inside on a permanent basis. Similar size. So quick inside. It's incredibly fun to watch.

Watched and enjoyed this one earlier. Even 15lbs (to Flowers) is not a small matter in NFL trenches. He gets pushed away pretty easily when he doesn't succeed penetrating. And there is hardly an NFL player at Boise St OL.

My Q remains - how would he fare in predominantly edge position? He seems less effective rusher when he is lined up on the edge and it seems setting the edge might be a problem.

The other Q was about possible change of position in NFL towards LB?

One explosive player that got much love and was projected to change of position being undersized was Haason Reddick. After promising start his production is low the last 3 games and his snap count went down despite ARI losing Golden and people expecting more Reddick from the edge.When he was lined up on the edge he was easily handled by PHI Ts. Its still early days for Reddick but goes to show its not easy for undersized college stars finding position and plays..

I should also mention that my player comps are extremely loose, and are meant more as a starting point or a thumbnail sketch of the player's style and strengths, rather than true, comprehensive comparisons. I may do a breakdown thread later in the year, like I started with my pass rusher thread last year, but I'm a little busier these days with the newborn.

I was thinking of doing one for each position so I hope you do some as well.

Good luck with the lil guy

I was thinking of doing one for each position so I hope you do some as well.

Good luck with the lil guy

I look forward to it! You bring a lot of insight and great breakdowns.

Thanks. We named him Julian. My wife thought it was appropriate since Edelman lost his season. Watch out for him in the draft in 22 years. :cool:

Sure.

I have Cameron Smith as poor man's Kuechly :).
Lots of versatile, intriguing LBs this year (much depending on underclassmen decisions) . but mostly “poor man's“ ..

Names to add for possible watching (some already mentioned in the thread):
Worley (OSU), Pugh (FSU), Hamilton (ALA), Jewel (Iowa), Gustin (USC)

Possible “star“/ hybrid options:
Booker (OSU), Bierria (Wash), Griffin (C Florida), Howard (TCU)

Some unfortunately out for season already:
Miller (ALA), Cichy (Wisc)

Watched some tape of Jefferson again last night for this year.. he frustrates me.. Which is bloody annoying I must say..

Roquan Smith - watched a bit of tape of him looked very good and easy on the eye. Timed some of his blitzes ridiculously well, and killed the QB. He's defo one to look for this season. Tackles very well too.

Nick deluca - my favourite of the linebackers this year so far. Covers guys very well. Goes side to side with ease, never over commits to a play and always seems to be around the ball carier. If he does commit to a play he makes the tackle. So far my number one choice because of this.

Will give more updates once I'm feeling well enough!

Da'ron Payne... is a freak of nature. So far my favourite DT. He's a big lad with freakish skill set. Would love to see flowers, Payne, wise as a future front 3.

Da'ron Payne. Would be interested in what you all think about him. Not sure if he fits In a typical 3-4 scheme but then again our schemes are changing every other week.

Da'ron Payne... is a freak of nature. So far my favourite DT. He's a big lad with freakish skill set. Would love to see flowers, Payne, wise as a future front 3.

Da'ron Payne. Would be interested in what you all think about him. Not sure if he fits In a typical 3-4 scheme but then again our schemes are changing every other week.

He not only jumped off film last year but was an impact player.

Nice burst but his power and hands, particularly first punch are top notch. His hands are so strong. You don't see many players rag doll people like this with one hand.

Gets underneath. Punch and extend. What's cool is that he controls his opponents other arm so hes lost both levers. Payne extends and uses the space to shed and make a play.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back