PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft Prospect Thread

Reamer don't forget, I told you I think we have a shot at V.V.

Agree with this. DT seems very deep this year. Which for us is very good as I think we do rely on a very good DT more than a normal team does. The impact that Vince had, Branch. Having that big body that can take up to 3 defenders at once due to the size of them is important for the rest of our D.

More tape reviewing will be done today on certain areas. Is there anyone that someone wants me to look at it?

Agree with this. DT seems very deep this year. Which for us is very good as I think we do rely on a very good DT more than a normal team does. The impact that Vince had, Branch. Having that big body that can take up to 3 defenders at once due to the size of them is important for the rest of our D.

More tape reviewing will be done today on certain areas. Is there anyone that someone wants me to look at it?

Thompson is someone everyone should prob watch.

I've been catching up on CBs lately. Darius Philips might be the closest thing to Malcolm Butler that I've seen so far this year. They're virtually identical in size and athleticism, and they both have the same tendency to take the ball away. If we lose Butler this upcoming offseason (which would make me sad), then Philips is my vote for a replacement. He's sticky in coverage, and has the physicality to play outside as well as the agility to play inside. He's been incredibly productive, and his game against Michigan State earlier this year is the one of the most impressive efforts I've ever seen in a losing game:

"09/13/17 - WEEK 2 STOCK REPORT: Darius Phillips, CB, Western Michigan, rSR. (5-10, 191, 4.52, #4)...A schedule that leads off with road games against USC and Michigan State is a tough road, especially for a MAC program like Western Michigan. After hanging tough with the Trojans in the opener, the Broncos traveled to East Lansing this past weekend where they were shutout on offense, but -- thanks to Phillips -- WMU finished with 14 points. Early in the third quarter, Phillips helped string out a run towards the sideline and mid-tackle, ripped the ball out and returned it 67 yards for the first points of the game for the Broncos.

Then in the fourth quarter, Phillips fielded a kickoff in his end zone and returned it the length of the field for the touchdown, his second 100-yard kickoff return in as many weeks. If that wasn't enough, he also added an interception and three pass break-ups on defense. A proven playmaker with the ball in his hands, Phillips has 13 career touchdowns: five kickoff returns, four interception returns, one fumble return, one punt return and two receiving scores when he played receiver as a freshman. Although he doesn't have desired NFL size for the position, Phillips' speed, ball instincts and return skills will fuel his draft grade. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com"

I decided to watch an nc state game so I could scout Chubb. But I came away thinking we need to draft their qb Finley.

Decent arm, super decision making and above average accuracy to boot. This guy could be special in our offense.

Qb's make or break a team and this kid would work well for us.

Ps: chubb is good and should be off the board by #32.

I really like Mark Walton and think he'll be a great mid-late round pick for someone. Could see him doing very well given the right situation.

Hes from cross city Florida. He just had a baby early this year, followed by his mother's death. Father died when he was 7 along with other family.

Weight room guy. Had a little flip out in practice a few months back bc he wanted more touches while coaches were saving him from wear & tear. Coaches have noted his maturity and how hes stepped up since then in all areas. Esp his work ethic.

Walton is super quick, can pick up yards after contact and a very good rec back. Has more than a few highlight catches. Hes always looking up and foward, has good vision. Hes on the smaller side 5'9/205 but tough as nails.

I decided to watch an nc state game so I could scout Chubb. But I came away thinking we need to draft their qb Finley.

Decent arm, super decision making and above average accuracy to boot. This guy could be special in our offense.

Qb's make or break a team and this kid would work well for us.

Ps: chubb is good and should be off the board by #32.

I like Finley as well and think he'll stay. Also like Kincade, Anderson and a few other small school guys.

Chubb has prob been the best RUSH prospect this year. Maybe best Rip move. Hes really good.

Just looked at some of the recent mock drafts - Roquan Smith/Lorenzo Carter seem to be available for us at 32 (Yesterday put us back up to fave) sadly V.V looks like he's gonna go earlier.. one thing that's made me happy is Da'ron Payne doesn't seem to be on anyone's draft board yet...

Oh and my favourite QB prospect this year is Rosen.

Warming up considerably to Deshon Elliot. Reliable tackler from the games I watched. Big hitter, but knows how to wrap up, too. He's a bit of a ball hawk this year, although I'm not sold on his man coverage. He could be a good replacement for Richards (I've all but given up hope for him; great kid, poor football player).

Saw a tight end from South Carolina, hurst play and I think his game could work in foxboro.

Clearly he could not be any worse than allen!

Linebacker group this year is deep, an awful lot of talent. Think I might do an in depth review of them if anyone has anyone they are interested in let me know.

Nick de Luca (my fave mid round prospect), Jefferson, Lorenzo carter and roquan smith.

Give me some names and i will look at some tape.

3 Syracuse guys to watch

WR Steve Ishmael #8
DT *Chris Slayton #95
LB Parris Bennett #30

also interesting watch as potential “star“ option on Clemson side

LB Dorian O'Daniel #6

New Binkie: Kyzir White. He plays safety, LB, and a shocking amount of CB. Excellent coverage skills for a 6025 215 prospect. He plays big and plays fast. Perfect Chung understudy.

Really sweet IOL & IDL class. Really nice group. Teams will be all over these 2 groups early.

CB is deep but no clear cut #1 imo.

RB is just like last year and prob better.

Really sweet IOL & IDL class. Really nice group. Teams will be all over these 2 groups early.

CB is deep but no clear cut #1 imo.

RB is just like last year and prob better.

Who do you like at center? I'm not really sold on anyone yet. Guards seem strong though.

Not a big fan of the LT class. Mcglinchy is a good run blocker, but doesn't make the game look easy, the way most top 10 LTs do. Technique needs work, but Okorafor looks like a future pro bowl tackle. Size, strength, and suddenness. He has a great frame and looks very athletic, although he's still raw. Don't like Orlando Brown; lacks mobility and gives up on plays very quickly. He needs to drop weight and improve pad level. Jamarco Jones and Bentley Spain are intriguing mid round guys. Spain is fairly agile with long arms.

I'll eventually get to more in depth breakdowns, but time is scarce these days. Tough to keep up.

Who do you like at center? I'm not really sold on anyone yet. Guards seem strong though.

Man I like Ragnow. He's had almost 1600 pass pro snaps without a sack. Bulldogs backers off the line & does some nice work at the 2nd level. He's so determined to get his hands inside. He's asked to pull, play in space and is seemingly always balanced when doing so. I love balance in OL play. + Good foot speed, arm length and burst.
Has almost 30 starts I believe. He's a monster too. 6'4-6'5 ish around 315 which will prob make him appealing to some teams that play a lot of shot gun. Looks more likr a G the way hes built. Hes played G/C in college.

He tends to play too high but he might be 6'5 so it'll happen on occasion and is a teachable mistake.

Price reminds me a little of Rags in the sense that he's a bigger dude able to take bigger DT'S at C. He's a big, thick man throughout.
Like Ragnow it's his movement skills that draw me in. Very quick at cutting off DT'S angles. His quickness is prob better than Ragnow. Usually always balanced.

He's made over 40 something starts I believe.

His power and mental make up are impressive. Game looks slow to him. He's able to take in DT'S and look for work elsewhere. He can really generate some nice power when he snaps his hips. Just a nasty dude when he wants to be.

Those two are the best imo.

Bama has two guys that are worth checking out. Bozeman & Pierschbacher

I also took a liking to Isaiah Wynn. He's undersized all around(H/W & arm length) but tough as nails as one might expect being that small. Nasty road grader with an attitude. More athletic than given credit for imo. He's played T/G/C.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back