PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Training Camp - Day 6 (8/2/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the addition of Harris this is a solid group (Bill likes Freeny as well) . and on such a loaded team this should be good enough..

Agreed, a top 3 of Hightower, Harris and Van Noy seems more than serviceable, and Roberts, McClellin, Langi et al make for decent depth competition.

The worry, as always, is that subtracting Hightower makes the whole lineup look questionable. But realistically, what position group ever looks good when you take away its best player?

Bedard says Ealy has been nonexistent in drills & it's becoming a problem. Wise has been one of his 3 Ups for a second day in a row.

You're talking crazy if you're saying the LBs weren't a problem spot last year.
I agree it was a problem but my comment was an inside joke regarding the D as a whole last year.

You're talking crazy if you're saying the LBs weren't a problem spot last year.

Last year was last year. One great LB and a an aging OL/DE and a bunch of newcomers without benefit of a training camp, but with size and speed.

This year four high draft picks there, ( 1 First, 3 Seconds, and a few probowls too) with the time/experience and now TC, to know what is going on. LB is NOT a problem as it was the past few seasons. BB has rebuilt that squad.

Worry about raw and thin DEs. That is this years issue.

Reactions: jah
The LBs weren't particularly good against the pass, but to act as if they were a disaster all around is silly, and no one who claims that should be taken seriously.

There were plenty of things the LBs did well. Solid against the run, the team got some good pass rushing from them, and they came up with some big plays/turnovers that changed the complexion of certain games.

By the way, Van Noy showed improvement in coverage in the postseason. Hopefully that continues into 2017.

Last year was last year. One great LB and a an aging OL/DE and a bunch of newcomers without benefit of a training camp, but with size and speed.

This year four high draft picks there, ( 1 First, 3 Seconds, and a few probowls too) with the time/experience and now TC, to know what is going on. LB is NOT a problem as it was the past few seasons. BB has rebuilt that squad.

Worry about raw and thin DEs. That is this years issue.

Until the linebackers not named Hightower show that they can be dependable, LB is still an issue, even more so because DH has only played a full 16 game regular season one year out of five.

The good news for Patriots fans (and players, coaches and owner(s)) is that there aren't a lot of areas of such concern.

LB
DE
OT depth
Slot CB
TE (health standpoint, this issue won't go away all year)

Relative to the rest of the league, that's a "no worries" situation. Internally, so to speak, those are still areas to watch.

Agreed, a top 3 of Hightower, Harris and Van Noy seems more than serviceable, and Roberts, McClellin, Langi et al make for decent depth competition.

The worry, as always, is that subtracting Hightower makes the whole lineup look questionable. But realistically, what position group ever looks good when you take away its best player?

I think a starting three if Hightower, Harris, and Roberts would be really good, especially against the run. They can mix and match football players pass coverage.

By the way, Van Noy showed improvement in coverage in the postseason. Hopefully that continues into 2017.

Van noy didn't even join the team until half way through the season. Hopefully with a full offseason and training camp he can improve.

Yeah, Van Noy is my veteran binkie, I mean, I thought he "more veteran" but he was drafted in the 2nd round in 2014, still in his rookie contract.

I think a starting three if Hightower, Harris, and Roberts would be really good, especially against the run. They can mix and match football players pass coverage.

Yes, extremely good against the run, and awful against the pass. They'd have a collective heart attack against a no huddle, attacking game.

Ealys a gamer maybe not a good practice guy?

Hasn't been much of a gamer either. May be time to start admitting he's bad. McClellin, Grissom, Wise, and Rivers all appear to be above him at the moment.

Just a thought on the Hogan tweak. Yesterday on a pass to him in the endzone, Hogan stayed down long than you'd think. Got up and threw his helmet to the ground. Then he walked to the sideline without a noticeable limp, but definitely"gingerly".

BTW- I hope that everyone's expectations about Brandin Cooks don't get as high as the media seems to think. I admit I didn't watch him very closely, but there was never a moment on the field where he "popped". Not that he did anything wrong, but on this day, he didn't do anything that made him stand out and go "wow".

I really hope that Roberts makes this roster, but inorder for it to be plausible he needs to develop some ST's skills. IIRC Roberts didn't have many ST's reps (if at all) last season. He'll be hard to carry if all he can do is be a back up 2 down ILB

I'm not too concerned with your eye test on Cooks...we're how many days in....competition...

Ealys a gamer maybe not a good practice guy?

Ealy has been inconsistent for 3 years now. This is exactly the issue the Panthers had with him and why they traded him to move up 8 spots. He has been going back and forth between invisible/ineffective and dominant (like against the Broncos) for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back