PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Draft, Day Three Game-Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to note when the topic comes to 4o times when discussing pass rushers. Dwight Freeney has been an elite pass rusher for over a decade, and IIRC he was first timed with a 5 second 40, and then got it down to something like 4.88 at a pro day or work out.

Freeney excelled because he had an explosive first step, the ability to get low and "skinny" going around the corner, and a non-stop motor. Now I don't know anything about Wise except he had a sup par 4.9 forty and conversly a great sub- 7 second 3 cone. None of that crap means nothing, pro or con, if he can't get to the QB, set the edge, and keep improving his game. That we won't see until we get to TC.

What you say about his game is correct, but I don't think you're right on the 40 time. Iirc, he blazed in the 4.4's in the combine.

Love Aaron Jones in the Packer's offense. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up winning the starting job there.

How did Desmond King drop sooo far?

I Hope we draft a developmental Tight End prospect next!

A BB draft doesn't feel right without a TE!! :p

Reactions: kas
What you say about his game is correct, but I don't think you're right on the 40 time. Iirc, he blazed in the 4.4's in the combine.
4.4 for a DE is inhuman.

Brantley goes from a likely 2 round pick to the top of the 6 and to Cleveland. Idiot.

I feel like I'm much more disproportionately irate about Walker going to the Colts, Asiata to the Dolphins and Butt to the Broncos than I should. Especially for being 5th round picks.

Nothing. Good college player but lacks NFL traits.

We should draft this guy...would be added depth with first round talent and will definitely play with a chip on his shoulder

At this point, I'd be amazed if it's not Langi. Although they've scouted day three WRs pretty hard.

Oh yea, I forgot about that guy. Belichick's binkie.

Interesting Carroll Phillips still there while guys like Vallejo, Muhammad are going..

O'Shaunessy is a better athlete than Allen and has a lot more upside as a pass catcher. When you have two dual threat TE's , I like the idea of the third being a move guy. If one of the other 2 is hurt, you have a guy that can keep the 2 TE sets active, but brings real ability as a receiver. While it's all speculation, I'd bet Bill thinks O'Shaunessy could make an impact this year if called upon, whereas a rookie will take a year or two. I think the logic behind the move is totally sound. But, I was in the Butt camp. I do think getting Wise and O'Shaunessy trumps Butt and whatever we could've landed in the 5th though.

As it turned out, with the 5th round run on tight ends before the Patriots would have picked at 158, everyone was gone before then. Only a trade up for unproven talent or the trade for O'Shaunnessy would fill this need once the Broncos snatched Butt to open the 5th round..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents