PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Draft, Day Three Game-Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking over Phil Perry's takes on players and would love to hear from our Draftniks on the following who haven't been drafted.
Calvin Munson - LB - SDSU
Brooks Ellis - LB - Arkansas
Johnathan Ford - CB - Auburn
Xavier Coleman - CB - Portland St.
Josh Augusta - NT - Missouri
Josh Tupou - NT - Colorado
Jarron Jones - DT/DE - Notre Dame

I'm no expert, but I am a huge Notre Dame fan and Jones is physically dominant at times, has an excellent bull rush (in fact, most of his pressures and sacks came on bull rushes) and most analysts and scouts have questioned his motor. He definitely took plays off at ND, but it's tough to determine how motivated a player will be in the NFL versus college. He's kind of one dimensional, though, which might improve with better coaching. The ND defensive coaching staff didn't show much success developing players in their tenure there, so there is the possibility he blossoms at the NFL level.

His highlights are pretty impressive, when he beats OL he absolutely destroys them, basically throws them around like rag dolls. He also shows very little effort or ability to hold up to double teams, so he would be a liability inside unless he improves in that area. I would look at him for his physical potential, but I wouldn't expect much more than a rotational player at best.

Forgot to add: There is a remote possibility he could get a shot at offensive tackle at some point. His arms are crazy long and his size and athleticism are pretty prototypical for an NFL tackle.

I was looking over Phil Perry's takes on players and would love to hear from our Draftniks on the following who haven't been drafted.
Calvin Munson - LB - SDSU
Brooks Ellis - LB - Arkansas
Johnathan Ford - CB - Auburn
Xavier Coleman - CB - Portland St.
Josh Augusta - NT - Missouri
Josh Tupou - NT - Colorado
Jarron Jones - DT/DE - Notre Dame

Jonathan Ford has gone. Brooks Ellis is typical 3-4 ILB, Augusta and Tupou are prototypical NTs although Aigusta has some athleticism to him.

Jonathan Ford has gone. Brooks Ellis is typical 3-4 ILB, Augusta and Tupou are prototypical NTs although Augusta has some athleticism to him.

Where did Ford go?
2017 NFL Draft Tracker – NFL.com

They don't show him as having been taken.. But then, it took them awhile to get up to speed on the pick #200 trade.

Found it.., 6th round to the Cardinals..

Amazing that BB didn't make a single WTF pick. Everyone picked was discussed in the draft forum. First time in my memory

OVERHERD A MONTH OR TWO AGO LATE AT NIGHT IN THE PATRIOTS BUILDING:

BB: "You know Nick, these Patsfans draftniks drive me crazy. With my drafting I've won them five championships, and still they scream at me every freaking year about my draft choices, saying 'WTF!!' 'WTF!!', like I don't know how to draft."

Caserio: "I know, I know, it is completely impossible to make those turkeys happy!".

BB (getting an evil look on his face): "Maybe we should teach them a lesson.....How about if we trade most of our draft picks away? It doesn't matter what we trade them for, established players, a bucket of rocks, whatever."

Caserio (chortling): "Yeah, that will teach them a thing or two."

BB (starting to giggle): "Better yet, after we trade our first and second round picks away, let's try to get the draftniks hopes up by floating rumors of a giant bonanza of draft picks for Garoppollo and Butler. Then, we will pull the rug out from under them at the last minute!"

Caserio: "That's so evil...Let's do it!!"

Last edited:
Sportscenter at 6 is pure trash. That is all.

Connor McDermott is now our man. 6'8 young man mountain. Really long 34.75 arms. He still needs to get better and stronger. A project pick but you can't teach the kind of size that he has naturally. Dante just got another project. May work out, might not, but in the 6th round we're all throwing darts anyways. :)

Basketball background is probably seen as a plus by BB. We turned a former Lacrosse player into a pretty good football player.

2017 NFL Draft Profile: Conor McDermott

Connor McDermott is now our man. 6'8 young man mountain. Really long 34.75 arms. He still needs to get better and stronger. A project pick but you can't teach the kind of size that he has naturally. Dante just got another project. May work out, might not, but in the 6th round we're all throwing darts anyways. :)

Basketball background is probably seen as a plus by BB. We turned a former Lacrosse player into a pretty good football player.

2017 NFL Draft Profile: Conor McDermott
That dude is lining up at TE.

Some end of the draft (such that it was) thoughts\

1. I find it a bit odd that we double dipped at OT with 2 kids who are interesting prospect, but PROSPECTS nevertheless. Looking at our OL depth chart, you have to be concerned a bit about the lack of interior OL depth. As of right now it looks like Karras is backing up all three interior OL positions. None of the 2 rookies look like they can be shifted to OG/C either.

2. Also I would remind people that Solder won't be 30 until NEXT April, so to think that he doesn't have 3-4 more seasons of productive football would be a mistake. To simply think it will be easy to replace him with a developmental 3rd or 6th round pick next season should be file that thoiught under "be careful what you wish for".

3. I wonder if the fact that we haven't added anyone to the interior OL mix means that Nick Mangold might still be in the mix.

4. Clearly BB/Nick decided that after such a productive FA period, bringing in a lot of rookies would be a waste of picks. We started with 8 and wound up with 4.

5. Ben Volin's tweet that outlined what our draft picks ACTUALLY brought us, could have been the finest piece of writing that dolt has done since he's been in Boston. :rolleyes:

6. Finding an elite edge rusher from any point in the draft is pure luck most of the time, but we got 2 guys who give us as good a shot as anyone. BTW- Kudos to the poster who found the "Justice" clip. It's a must see for anyone who really wants to get to know our 3rd round pick. You have to LOVE the guy's "bend". ;)

7, According to the last thing I've seen, when you add the draft picks we currently have 69 guys under contract. That means we STILL have to sign another TWENTY ONE players before training camp, so for those of you who think this team part of the team building process is over; think again. BB is just starting. We have a long way to go before this is over.

1. I find it a bit odd that we double dipped at OT with 2 kids who are interesting prospect, but PROSPECTS nevertheless. Looking at our OL depth chart, you have to be concerned a bit about the lack of interior OL depth. As of right now it looks like Karras is backing up all three interior OL positions. None of the 2 rookies look like they can be shifted to OG/C either.

2. Also I would remind people that Solder won't be 30 until NEXT April, so to think that he doesn't have 3-4 more seasons of productive football would be a mistake. To simply think it will be easy to replace him with a developmental 3rd or 6th round pick next season should be file that thoiught under "be careful what you wish for".

3. I wonder if the fact that we haven't added anyone to the interior OL mix means that Nick Mangold might still be in the mix.

4. Clearly BB/Nick decided that after such a productive FA period, bringing in a lot of rookies would be a waste of picks. We started with 8 and wound up with 4.

5. Ben Volin's tweet that outlined what our draft picks ACTUALLY brought us, could have been the finest piece of writing that dolt has done since he's been in Boston. :rolleyes:

6. Finding an elite edge rusher from any point in the draft is pure luck most of the time, but we got 2 guys who give us as good a shot as anyone. BTW- Kudos to the poster who found the "Justice" clip. It's a must see for anyone who really wants to get to know our 3rd round pick. You have to LOVE the guy's "bend". ;)

7, According to the last thing I've seen, when you add the draft picks we currently have 69 guys under contract. That means we STILL have to sign another TWENTY ONE players before training camp, so for those of you who think this team part of the team building process is over; think again. BB is just starting. We have a long way to go before this is over.
What -- no wailing and gnashing of teeth over Garoppolo not being traded?

OT PROSPECTS
I have no issue with these picks. Dante has a year to see whether he has viable backup/replacement for Solder. To indicate that neither Fleming or Waddle is capable of being a backup LT is incorrect IMHO. I think that these were the backups last year, and Belichick has little issue with one of them (likely Fleming) being the backup this year. McDermott seems headed for the Practice Squad on our team or another, as was likely the case with anyone we would have picked after the 5th.

INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE
I disagree with your analysis. IMHO, we didn't draft an interior offensive lineman in the 5th or 6th (or even earlier) because the prospects were terrible, probably worse in Dante's eyes than those he already has on the team (or those available for short money in free agency).

Sure, it is likely that this means that Belichick will sign free agent offensive linemen. There is NO reason to believe that this means that Mangold is coming, although we can only hope that this is so.

WE'RE FAR FROM OVER
Sure, we will add another 20 players. You can choose to believe that lots of them will make the team. Personally, I think that the number than make the 53 will be very few. Surely, it is possible that we will get help on the lines, as was the emphasis in the draft. And surely, Belichick will always being in defensive backs to upgrade from Richards and Coleman.

What -- no wailing and gnashing of teeth over Garoppolo not being traded?
No Tunie, that decision will have me waking up screaming in the middle of the night for some time to come. ;). Rather than increase my meds, I've decided to spend the next 10 months concentrating on the 2017 team and all its great potential, and worry about any error that might cost us in 2018 after this season is done.

BTW- The Rivers and Wise picks did a lot to lower my blood pressure, especially since learning more about them. One of the reasons for my urgency to trade JG to was to have a pick high enough to get a quality edge rusher or 2. Well it looked like we got 2 nice prospects that can provide the depth we sorely needed prior to the draft.

Also like I said. We still have 21 more players to sign, so who knows who will show up to Foxboro between now and the end of July.

Turns out Adrian Klemm was Conor McDermott's OL coach at UCLA.

So in retrospect this should have been totally obvious.

Adrian Klemm era turned out pretty damn well.

I did a recap of how many players were on the Pats roster and was pretty amazed at how many more were needed to get to 90 in camp........Agree there are a lot more UDFA's and FA players to be signed .....

No Tunie, that decision will have me waking up screaming in the middle of the night for some time to come. ;). Rather than increase my meds, I've decided to spend the next 10 months concentrating on the 2017 team and all its great potential, and worry about any error that might cost us in 2018 after this season is done.

BTW- The Rivers and Wise picks did a lot to lower my blood pressure, especially since learning more about them. One of the reasons for my urgency to trade JG to was to have a pick high enough to get a quality edge rusher or 2. Well it looked like we got 2 nice prospects that can provide the depth we sorely needed prior to the draft.

Also like I said. We still have 21 more players to sign, so who knows who will show up to Foxboro between now and the end of July.

IMHO, we had four needs going into the draft: DE, OT, SS, IOL. Of course, that is in addition to trading picks for players at CB, TE, RB, DL and EDGE players.

Two of these needs were met in the draft.

Free agency seems the right place to get some help on the interior of the OL. And, the safeties will continue to come in free agency. Sure, SOMEONE can beat our Richards, or not. Perhaps, we'll carry 12 defensive backs. Or perhaps, 6 corners and 5 safeties (including special teamers) is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back