PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Draft, Day Three Game-Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's having the best drafts still? Who's BPA?

For me, the Ravens, Raiders, and Titans are still perfect or close enough with their picks. The Pats are too, but we've only had two picks, so....However, if you include all the players that the Pats acquired via their draft picks (Allen, Gillislee, Cooks), then I'd grade them at the top.

BPA:

Trevor Knight - Texas A&M - WR - 6'1" 215
Jalen Myrick - Minnesota - CB/FS - 5'10" 200
Sam Tevi - Utah - OG - 6'5" 315
Chris Carson - Oklahoma State - HB - 6'0" 220
Jeremy Clark - Michigan - CB/FS/SS - 6'3" 215
Brian Allen - Utah - CB - 6'3" 215
Alex Torgersen - Pennsylvania - QB - 6'2" 220
Bart Houston - Wisconsin - QB - 6'3" 230

The more I think about it, I think I'm going to double-down on Brad Kaaya. If he's still there at 218, it would be dumb for the Patriots not to take him, especially with Garoppolo likely gone next year.

Do you really think you could stash Kaaya on your practice squad all year and no one would take him? Or do you think the Pats should keep 4 QBs on the roster?

You're gonna be in a world of hurt when you play the Pats! You try to stop Mother Nature's triplets of Flowers, Rivers and Branch, just to be taken down by Wise Guy! There is NO ESCAPE
Yes, Force(s) of Nature!

Bills spurn Jim Kelly's nephew

Rodney Adams
Firs NE WR contact of the board at 170

Keep babbling and showing that you can't be bothered to read posts in their entirety. You're a johnny-come-lately who can't be bothered to even read what's posted in the same post, let alone the same thread.

I don't care how "closely" you claim to follow the draft. That and $5 will get you a used 2017 Draft Guide..

Fact is that Reamer also pointed to PRODUCTION. Something you clearly ignored because it would cause you to have to take a step back.

You claim that Wise doesn't have the athleticism or speed to be as good as Jones, yet the numbers say otherwise.

Deatrich Wise Jr. College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

16 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks in 24 games.

Chandler Jones College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

17 tackles for loss with 8.5 sacks in 20 games across his last 2 years.

That's fine, you ride his balls and his opinion, since you can't form your own.

Meanwhile, I'll discuss things with him.

Do you really think you could stash Kaaya on your practice squad all year and no one would take him? Or do you think the Pats should keep 4 QBs on the roster?

Just a reminder that you can't claim a player off a PS involuntarily.

Of course he has to clear waivers to get to the PS.

Fair enough. I certainly could be wrong.

If you like the draft, drop by the draft sub forum more frequently. We like discussing all different perspectives. It only makes us smarter, in the end. :)

Thanks. I've been around different Patriot forums throughout the years. Used to post a ton in places like Mouth Off and KFFL. In recent years had more "life" things to deal with, so my activity came to a halt. The college game and draft are my favorite parts of football, other than the Pats in the Super Bowl :)

I found the draft forum before, and love to see so much going on in there. It's hard to catch up on 8, 10, 15, 25 page long threads though to jump in to the convo at the right time lol.

I'll be around. And I'm glad you've gone out and given your stance on Wise. It's good to see. Like I said, ultimately I do like him, I just see his pass rush potential a bit more limited the Jones coming out. I'd love to eat crow and give you credit for him becoming a difference maker.

Brian Allen will help the Steelers implement more man schemes, if they don't want to get shredded in zone. He really intrigued me as a big press corner. I liked all those Utah guys, really.

Charles Davis may just be the nicest person in the world.

Jesus, how good was Youngstown St this year? That's two guys drafted into the NFL with legit talent at DE.

Various thoughts on the 4th round: both Grover Stewart and Samson Ebukam, guys I liked as late rounders / UDFAs, both went a lot higher than anticipated. They flashed dominant traits, but I figured since they were small school guys, they might be available late. Stewart moved like he was 280, but weighed in close to 350. He seemed like an ideal understudy for Branch, who is a little long in the tooth these days. Ebukam got press for his incredible pro day and his sack production, but when I watched his games, the thing that stood out to me was his smoothness and suddenness in coverage. I thought he would be an ideal replacement for Jamie Collins, and fit in nicely with our current LB corp.

What's going on with Ben Boulware?

Keep babbling and showing that you can't be bothered to read posts in their entirety. You're a johnny-come-lately who can't be bothered to even read what's posted in the same post, let alone the same thread.

I don't care how "closely" you claim to follow the draft. That and $5 will get you a used 2017 Draft Guide..

Fact is that Reamer also pointed to PRODUCTION. Something you clearly ignored because it would cause you to have to take a step back.

You claim that Wise doesn't have the athleticism or speed to be as good as Jones, yet the numbers say otherwise.

Deatrich Wise Jr. College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

16 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks in 24 games.

Chandler Jones College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

17 tackles for loss with 8.5 sacks in 20 games across his last 2 years.
One thing to note when the topic comes to 4o times when discussing pass rushers. Dwight Freeney has been an elite pass rusher for over a decade, and IIRC he was first timed with a 5 second 40, and then got it down to something like 4.88 at a pro day or work out.

Freeney excelled because he had an explosive first step, the ability to get low and "skinny" going around the corner, and a non-stop motor. Now I don't know anything about Wise except he had a sup par 4.9 forty and conversly a great sub- 7 second 3 cone. None of that crap means nothing, pro or con, if he can't get to the QB, set the edge, and keep improving his game. That we won't see until we get to TC.

One thing to note when the topic comes to 4o times when discussing pass rushers. Dwight Freeney has been an elite pass rusher for over a decade, and IIRC he was first timed with a 5 second 40,

Interesting. I for one now look forward to TFB's post QB football career as a pass rusher. GOAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back