PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Minicamp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drinking early eh Tony?? And where would they carry Brissette again if not on the 53?? Remember he came with pretty good recommendations, Bill Parcells himself told BB to draft him. Fourth Rounder Dak Prescott played very well for the Cowboys last year our Biscuit was taken in the Third lets see how he does before we cut him.o_O

I like Brissett a lot and I also think he might be a better QB than Prescott although they're both in the early stages of their careers so might be too early to tell. My question was if there is a way to keep him without having him on the 53 man roster and without losing him. I don't know all the ins and outs of roster management hence the question.

Thanks for taking over.

This photo suggests both High and Branch will not fully participate..
No sweat of course. More room for others to showcase themselves..

According to Dan Roche, seems like you're right.

And why did they go Undrafted again??:rolleyes::D

Not sure if you're just joking or not, but there are roughly 250 draft slots, vs a couple thousand eligible players in every year's draft. The quality of the players available from 200 - 500 is pretty similar. At some point, the players who succeed often come down to a will to work, injuries at their position, and scheme fit -- it's not always the most talented players who make it in the end. Too many variables.

No real info can be gathered concerning ANY of the OL, DL, and LB's during this camp, since no hitting is allowed. The best you can get perhaps is who looks quick off the ball, or if LB's have any coverage ability during the semi-walk thru's.

This little dog and pony show for the media will be the subject of a lot of "hot takes", peliminary judgements, and down right "guarrantees" over the next week. I guess you have to create copy anyway you can in June but none of it means anything. ;)

For the coaching staff. This camp is all about getting players to understand the "languange" of the offense and defense and connecting it to actual calls in the huddle and reads on the field. No one will win or lose a job this week.

Things we CAN gather. Or info that I'd be interested to hear.

1. Does Lewis look any quicker than last season

2. How quick does Gilmore look. I can recall in 2014 how impressive Revis looked in TC in his anticipation of WR routes. Does Gilmore show any of that.

3. Is Cooks noticably quicker and faster than the other receivers

4. Does Rivers have an exceptional first step, And if not, who looks like he does?

5. How do the Jones boys look

Cyrus vs Likely and Foster for returns?

Not sure if you're just joking or not, but there are roughly 250 draft slots, vs a couple thousand eligible players in every year's draft. The quality of the players available from 200 - 500 is pretty similar. At some point, the players who succeed often come down to a will to work, injuries at their position, and scheme fit -- it's not always the most talented players who make it in the end. Too many variables.

Don't waste the typing stokes reamer there was a Grin:D at the end.

I prefer this image

Ben_Kenobi.png

Attachments

• Ben_Kenobi.png
    Ben_Kenobi.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 1
Guys I am most concerned about (cause they'll have a big impact on the year).

#1 Gilmore - Does he look like he is worth the money? If so then that is game over for the AFC health permitting.

#2 Rivers - If he doesn't work out the pass rush is in a very bad spot. You need 3 guys and Ealy/Flowers will wear down without help.

#3 Dion Lewis - Is he 2015 Dion Lewis this year? If not you may need to decide between short/long term and how much you like Foster.

#4 Cooks - He is 4th cause honestly I am just assuming it will work fairly easily.

#5 Allen - A sneaky important player. Though the Pats have tons of weapons they do lack big skill players. Hogan isn't small but he is no giant. Allen is easily the 2nd biggest option on this team when it comes to guys you'd actually like to see Brady throw to. I want to see that work as having a competent backup TE is a must.

Guys I am curious about in minicamp (be nice but won't make or break us)

#1 Foster - He is a guy I liked all of last year before and after the draft. If he comes on strong he may force your hand. A nice bonus but if other things work out an after thought to be honest.

#2 Cyrus Jones - We have won and will win without him but if he doesn't do something this year he will be a full on bust. I want to see him step up in both STs and Defense.

#3 Jacoby Brissett - Whatever happens after this year I think this guy will be the Pats backup QB next year. That in mind I want to see how he looks and if he is up to the job.

No real info can be gathered concerning ANY of the OL, DL, and LB's during this camp, since no hitting is allowed. The best you can get perhaps is who looks quick off the ball, or if LB's have any coverage ability during the semi-walk thru's.

This little dog and pony show for the media will be the subject of a lot of "hot takes", peliminary judgements, and down right "guarrantees" over the next week. I guess you have to create copy anyway you can in June but none of it means anything. ;)

For the coaching staff. This camp is all about getting players to understand the "languange" of the offense and defense and connecting it to actual calls in the huddle and reads on the field. No one will win or lose a job this week.

Things we CAN gather. Or info that I'd be interested to hear.

1. Does Lewis look any quicker than last season

2. How quick does Gilmore look. I can recall in 2014 how impressive Revis looked in TC in his anticipation of WR routes. Does Gilmore show any of that.

3. Is Cooks noticably quicker and faster than the other receivers

4. Does Rivers have an exceptional first step, And if not, who looks like he does?

5. How do the Jones boys look

While no “real info“ part is certainly true, you can gather some interesting info esp. about bubble guys & rookies.

Karras taking some 1st line reps for TB (combined with no C acquired in offseason) is pretty telling (they trust him if /when needed). Waddle as bystander further shows he might be the odd man out. JJ taking most slot reps certainly is a thing to monitor, O'Shag looking sharp and used over other TE aspirants is another .. etc.

And i can see a couple of guys losing jobs after this..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back