PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Free Agency - Day Two + NEW recap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did they resign fleming. He can't move, most unathletic tackle i've seen.

And yet he made the $83m man Chandler Jones that was suppose to be playing with a disrespected chip on his shoulder non-existent Week 1.

Pro athletes are big boys. If you get butt hurt over what may or may not be inside information, then that's on them.

Still see absolutely nothing there. Even if you assume he is spreading what Bill is telling him.

When you factor in that it's unlikely he's revealing what Bill actually said, and is forming his own opinion, it means even less. This isn't news coming from the Patriots. It's a former employee. Pro athletes are big boys. Everyone has an opinion. They can deal with it. It doesn't mean it's Bill spilling it. If Bill had a problem with it, he would shut Lombardi up real quick.

Complete overreaction.

If you don't think that athletes who are used to being coddled their whole lives, would be upset over, "My Boss's best friend went on TV and told the world that I'm asking for the moon, when all I'm asking for is what I think is reasonable compared to my peers," I don't know what else to say. It doesn't matter if it's an overreaction on the players part. It's still real to them, and players use that to determine whether or not they want to play here or want to follow coach's instructions. If you don't think that's the case then fine, but I think you're underselling emotion here.

Big difference when "the noise" is your boss's former right hand man telling the world the team's dirty laundry. This isn't some random reporter who gets his info from leaks, etc. This is a former high ranking member of the team himself putting his name behind it.

So what ? Everyone in the media has sources, so what if Lombardi was close with BB.

The sign at the exit of the facility doesn't say "ignore the noise unless it comes from someone close to BB" but "ignore the noise".

The fact that players did not take the criticism well speaks volumes.

1) It's amazing how much they came together, both as a defense and a team following the trade.
2) They hear things, no matter how much they want us to believe that they "ignore the noise".
3) The fact that Lombardi promotes himself as a "Patriots insider" (his Twitter avi is a Patriots SB ring) must have made him feel as though he could blab about anything without anyone's permission. Some guys felt a certain way about that. Again, it didn't impact on field performance.

The players took the criticism so poorly that they went out and won the Super Bowl. Enjoyed the run. Praised the coaches and front office.

And of course, what was said about Collins is absolutely nothing similar to this. There is no criticism here. Just stating the obvious facts in the situation. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Or however the he'll it goes.

So what ? Everyone in the media has sources, so what if Lombardi was close with BB.

The sign at the exit of the facility doesn't say "ignore the noise unless it comes from someone close to BB" but "ignore the noise".

The team itself is creating the noise. That's part of the reason Belichick is generally very tight on leaks.

Here's a direct example -- fine, the team ignored the noise Lombardi made on the Collins trade. But did that add anything to Hightower's asking price? Would he have been willing to take a little less, but since in his mind, the team didn't respect the players and practiced what it preaches, he now wants the Pats to match top dollar?

I don't know the answer to that. But these are real players with real emotions, and some people have very long memories to perceived sleights, whether real or not.

If you don't think that athletes who are used to being coddled their whole lives, would be upset over, "My Boss's best friend went on TV and told the world that I'm asking for the moon, when all I'm asking for is what I think is reasonable compared to my peers," I don't know what else to say. It doesn't matter if it's an overreaction on the players part. It's still real to them, and players use that to determine whether or not they want to play here or want to follow coach's instructions. If you don't think that's the case then fine, but I think you're underselling emotion here.

We'll considering you don't know:

1) What Butlers agent is asking for or,
2) That Belichick has even told Lombardi was has transpired in the last 24 hours

I don't think you can jump to any conclusions. Well, you can, but it doesn't mean anything.

The players were so upset that to a person, even the controversial Bennett, have had absolutely nothing but praise and been thankful for being part of the SB run. Players have re-signed to be here.

You really think they questioned their leadership or confidence in Belichick because of rumors in the media? Im not buying it.

Especially in this case.

Not absolving him of anything but his first 2 years were OK especially considered he played in 2 different systems and had Fitzpatrick 1 year and Locker/Mettenberger his 2nd year and then his 3rd year he was having another OK season but got injured and went on IR in November and then much like Akeem Ayers he was out of favor with the new coaching staff. And then he went to WR Siberia known as Buffalo and had Tyrod Taylor as his QB.

Just saying I wouldn't hate it if he was signed and was given a chance to earn a spot in camp.

He can block at three positions. He doesn't need to be a decathlete.
He was also the tackle that was designated to play a blocking TE in a pinch. I don't think you pick a plodder to step in at TE.

He was also the tackle that was designated to play a blocking TE in a pinch. I don't think you pick a plodder to step in at TE.

You're right. That's the third position he can play: RT, LT and blocking TE

@maineman209 - why do I not find it surprising in the least that you dislike it when a person uses facts to show you don't know what you are talking about. It's no one's fault but your own for posting something that the OPs post refuted..

If you don't like having your posts refuted with facts, then this isn't the message board you should be on..

EDIT: So, you also dislike it when you're called out about your ridiculous use of dislikes. SMH.. Guess you can't act like an adult..

You may think that's innocuous, but the players view it as if the Patriots are telling the world that Malcolm Butler is asking for a zillion dollar contract. That plays very poorly in the locker room; it's rather Jets-like actually.

The problem with the paragraph about Butler is that it's already been refuted by his agent and himself.

Lombardi needs to keep his mouth shut because he's hurting the franchise and hasn't been a part of it since the 2014 SB..

@maineman209 - why do I not find it surprising in the least that you dislike it when a person uses facts to show you don't know what you are talking about. It's no one's fault but your own for posting something that the OPs post refuted..

If you don't like having your posts refuted with facts, then this isn't the message board you should be on..

And if you don't understand how to point out errors without being an antagonistic and patronizing jerk, maybe you shouldn't be on ANY forum.

And if you don't understand how to point out errors without being an antagonistic and patronizing jerk, maybe you shouldn't be on ANY forum.

There was nothing "patronizing or antagonistic" about my initial response. I didn't call you names. I didn't say your statements were idiotic despite the fact they contradicted the OP.

I stated a simple fact. That you didn't understand how Tenders to a player worked in regards to the roster. And it is clear you didn't. I also gave specific knowledge as to when it changed..

Last edited:
Lombardi needs to keep his mouth shut because he's hurting the franchise and hasn't been a part of it since the 2014 SB..

First of all he was part of the Patriots until after FA/draft last year (2016). He was just recently talking about last year's FA decisions in the SB post-mortem podcast on the Ringer.

Moreover, now Lombardi is a media personality and as such his first priority is getting people to listen/read his stuff. Of course he will be over-the-top and controversial.

First of all he was part of the Patriots until after FA/draft last year (2016). He was just recently talking about last year's FA decisions in the SB post-mortem podcast on the Ringer.

Moreover, now Lombardi is a media personality and as such his first priority is getting people to listen/read his stuff. Of course he will be over-the-top and controversial.

I stand corrected as to when Lombardi left.. Thought it was before that. However, there is a difference between being "over-the-top and controversial" (ala Howard Stern) and releasing information that makes the team's daily business with players harder. Lombardi isn't doing the Patriots any favors with his comments.. Particularly ones that are false..

I stand corrected as to when Lombardi left.. Thought it was before that. However, there is a difference between being "over-the-top and controversial" (ala Howard Stern) and releasing information that makes the team's daily business with players harder. Lombardi isn't doing the Patriots any favors with his comments.. Particularly ones that are false..

Did I miss something or are we talking about the Butler "wants the moon" comment ?

Because it seems pretty obvious that the issue here comes down to money. I assume whatever Gilmore signed is what the Pats offered (more or less) to Butler and he wanted more.

Dude of course you are right here.
Are you aware this forum has an ignore poster feature?

Did I miss something or are we talking about the Butler "wants the moon" comment ?

Because it seems pretty obvious that the issue here comes down to money. I assume whatever Gilmore signed is what the Pats offered (more or less) to Butler and he wanted more.

Yes.. The issue comes down to money. You making the assumption that the Pats offered Gilmore what they offered Butler is erroneous to say the least. Its well known that the Pats don't work that way. Once they slap a tender on you, they expect you to play for that tender unless a new deal is reached. And, considering Butler's agent's claims that they haven't actually TALKED to the Patriots since prior to this past season, how can you make that assumption.. And yes, if I'm Butler, I'm banging on my agent's door to find out why they hadn't talked to the Patriots since prior to last season.

All you have is Lombardi running his mouth unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore