PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Free Agency - Day Two + NEW recap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for putting this together in 1 place.

We probably need to keep 10 million +/- to sign draft picks. So, that will have to be considered with what we have left (to spend).

Draft picks would generally replace players on the 51-man roster at a lower rate. Net impact isn't huge. Couple million.

Draft picks would generally replace players on the 51-man roster at a lower rate. Net impact isn't huge. Couple million.

I haven't done the math, but I think it's about $1.5M in new money for the draft picks.

I wish we knew this before we traded for Allen.

Guy has been a bust in his career. All the athletic talent but just a poor football player.

But damn. There must be a "go stand in the corner of the Endzone and I'll throw it over everyone else's heads" play. :D

One interesting aspect of the cap this season is that the Dead Money is much lower than normal.
They currently show $1.4mm in Dead Money.

2016 was over $10mm (Mayo, Easley, Chandler, LaFell, others)
2015 was $15mm (Revis, Mankins, Arrington, Wilfork, others)
2014 was $16mm (Hernandez, other half of Mankins, Sopoaga, etc.)

I also show about $30mm in available cap space right now.
Easily enough to match the market for Hightower, add another linebacker, defensive end, and running back.

Plenty of room to go into the draft with very few needs.
And no compelling need to trade Butler.

One interesting aspect of the cap this season is that the Dead Money is much lower than normal.
They currently show $1.4mm in Dead Money.

2016 was over $10mm (Mayo, Easley, Chandler, LaFell, others)
2015 was $15mm (Revis, Mankins, Arrington, Wilfork, others)
2014 was $16mm (Hernandez, other half of Mankins, Sopoaga, etc.)

I also show about $30mm in available cap space right now.
Easily enough to match the market for Hightower, add another linebacker, defensive end, and running back.

Plenty of room to go into the draft with very few needs.
And no compelling need to trade Butler.

Need pass rushers. After flowers who do they have? Maybe they can rush high if he comes back but they have to address that in the draft.

By my count, 49 under contract or tendered, plus Bolden and King likely to be re-signed soon.

That leave 41 spots still open on the off-season roster for other FAs, camp bodies, and 2017 draftees/UDFA pickups.

I don't think you understand that with the last CBA that was signed, players who are tendered a contract (Franchise / Transistion / RFA/ ERFA) count against the roster immediately.

That means that Butler, Fleming, Coleman, Lengel, and King count on the Roster,
@Miguel noted that Brandon King's name was not on the Free Agency List released by the NFL yesterday..

Miguel's page had the Pats at 56 before the resigning of Harmon and Branch or the signing of Gilmore. If you add those 3, that puts them at 59, ala Long Distance's OP.

The Pats have 31 roster slots available with 8 draft picks currently.

If I were a GM in direct competition with the Patriots and in need of corner help like the Fins or Squeelers I would make Butler an offer with an eye towards pushing the Patriots to match when they would much prefer to have him play next year at the tender.

If you offered him 5/45-50 you get a #1 corner. If you're Butler lets say you play out this year at 3.9M and then get 4@13M that's 56M total but you're risking another year at 3.9M to get that money vs being assured it now. Make the guarantee say 25-30M to sweeten the pot. I'd rather than 25M in the bank and only 45M total vs 3.9M and maybe that's all I ever see vs the potential to make 56M.

If the Pats don't match you give up a late first for a pro-bowler caliber player. If the Pats match you've pushed their hand into dollars they hadn't planned on dedicating this year. It's a move Bill has done albeit with Sander, Hogan and others.

That's not how it works.. Butler would not be at 3.9M for the 2018 season. He'd be at the Franchise Tag number for CBs which will close to or over 15M. So you're really asking him to take a 15M pay cut by doing only 5/45 or a 10M pay cut at 5/50.. Especially when you just gave Gilmore a 5/65 deal with 40M guaranteed.

Butler's contract needs to be similar or better than Gilmore's. Maybe a 4/55 or 5/68 deal with 35M guaranteed..

The story of the day is can BB & Butler make it work.

Gilmore
Rowe
Butler (slot)

McCourty
Harmon
Chung (big dime)

That group surpasses Denver as the best pass defense in the NFL. Butler is a better version of Harris if he moved to his role that Ryan had & Gilmore projects to be as good as Talib was in our system. Rowe would be a heck as a 3rd outside CB as well who's just turning 25.

This group would be historic. Hope BB can find a way to keep it intact.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this together in 1 place.

We probably need to keep 10 million +/- to sign draft picks. So, that will have to be considered with what we have left (to spend).

We don't need 10M to sign draft picks. Maybe 10M for Picks, #52/#53 on the roster and the PS and emergency signings, but not 10M for just draft picks.

That's not how it works.. Butler would not be at 3.9M for the 2018 season. He'd be at the Franchise Tag number for CBs which will close to or over 15M. So you're really asking him to take a 15M pay cut by doing only 5/45 or a 10M pay cut at 5/50.. Especially when you just gave Gilmore a 5/65 deal with 40M guaranteed.

Butler's contract needs to be similar or better than Gilmore's. Maybe a 4/55 or 5/68 deal with 35M guaranteed..

See ya! I don't think bill sees him similar to gilmore. I do think he's a good corner though and worthy of 10 million plus. I expect him to be gone. I wonder if they can find other trading partners if he won't be dealt to the saints. Has to sign that tender though.

The story of the day is can BB & Butler make it work.

Gilmore
Rowe
Butler (slot)

McCourty
Chung
Harmon (big dime)

That group surpasses Denver as the best pass defense in the NFL. Butler is a better version of Harris if he moved to his role that Ryan had & Gilmore projects to be as good as Talib was in our system. Rowe would be a heck as a 3rd outside CB as well who's just turning 25.

This group would be historic. Hope BB can find a way to keep it intact.

I wish they could keep butler. I really do. Our secondary would be nasty. You can find wrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore