PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Free Agency - Day Two + NEW recap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because Butler's agent says his client never asked for the moon doesn't make that a fact, either.

Did I miss something or are we talking about the Butler "wants the moon" comment ?

Because it seems pretty obvious that the issue here comes down to money. I assume whatever Gilmore signed is what the Pats offered (more or less) to Butler and he wanted more.
Yeah, as much fun as it is to say we should have given the Gilmore contract to Butler, we have no idea if it was offered and rejected. My guess - and that's all it is - is that Belichick got tired of dealing with this (NFL) inexperienced agent and went to someone who would take the money instead. Then figure it out. Gilmore is the long term #1 guy, Butler can be traded or kept for one more cheap year.

Just because Butler's agent says his client never asked for the moon doesn't make that a fact, either.
Especially as he can say that and literally be correct. Doesn't mean he didn't ask for it figuratively.

Yes.. The issue comes down to money. You making the assumption that the Pats offered Gilmore what they offered Butler is erroneous to say the least. Its well known that the Pats don't work that way. Once they slap a tender on you, they expect you to play for that tender unless a new deal is reached. And, considering Butler's agent's claims that they haven't actually TALKED to the Patriots since prior to this past season, how can you make that assumption.. And yes, if I'm Butler, I'm banging on my agent's door to find out why they hadn't talked to the Patriots since prior to last season.

All you have is Lombardi running his mouth unfounded.

I read it differently.

I think the Pats wanted to lock Butler up longterm and saw this offseason as their most likely chance to do so with all the leverage via RFA (and a potential franchise tag next year.. bluff or not). They were not able to get it done until a certain deadline and then moved on to do "whats in the best interest of the team" like they did with Amendola and Welker.

In this case having the chance to sign another #1 CB that will be here for at least 2-3 years is more in the interest of the team than risking not to have that (or using the franchise tag hammer) if Butler decides to walk.

This is pretty much exactly how BB operates.

I have no idea where you have your info from but we have multiple reports independently confirming that the Pats and Butler were damn close to an extension last year. So there were most definitely talks happening. Prior to that offseason the Pats were not even allowed to extend Butler. And a bunch of beat writers confirmed that there were brief talks in the last few weeks as well.

Last edited:
He was also the tackle that was designated to play a blocking TE in a pinch. I don't think you pick a plodder to step in at TE.

Certainly not the least athletic OL at 6'5"/325 in the league (or at a Combine). And, Scar and McD apparently like him enough to have used him for an average of almost 18 snaps per game in 2016.

Please....

Lawrence Timmons to MIA for 2/12M and 11M guaranteed. Net loss for the Steelers.

If there's any team that needs warm bodies on defense its the Colts.

i wish we had more details into what is going on behind the scenes with butler's agents and bb.

This is beginning to look a lot like what went down with Ben watson's agent and bb.

The Bengals are having a horrific few days, their o-line has been decimated in FA and they just gave Dre Kirkpatrick a massive overpay.

FA - Day 2 _ concluded

Quick recap of Days 1-2
(cap hits for 2017; not everywhere guaranteed)

NEW
CB Gilmore
— signed UFA — 5y/65M (40M gtd) — 8.6 cap hit
TE Allen — in trade (4th for 6th) — 3y/17M (5M gtd) — 5M cap hit
DE Ealy — in trade (2nd (64) for 3rd(72)) —0.9 cap hit
WR Cooks — in trade (1st and 3rd for 4th) — 1.5 cap hit

(note: only Gilmore will count against comp pick eq. (3th round) - offsets Ryan

RE-SIGNED/TENDERED
DT Branch
— re-signed — 2y/12M — ( 5M cap hit ? )
CB Butler — 1st round tender — 3.9M cap hit
S Harmon — re-signed — 4y/17M-20 (6.5gtd) — 3.5M cap hit
OT Flemingoriginal round tender (4th) — 1.8M cap hit
FB Develin —re-signed — 2y/2.8M — 1.2M cap hit
TE Williams — re-signed — 1y — ( 1M cap hit ? )
CB Coleman — tendered — 0.6M cap hit
TE Lengel — tendered — 0.5M cap hit

GONE
CB Ryan
— signing w TEN — 3y/30M
DE Sheard — signed w IND — 3y/25.5M (13 gtd)
TE Bennett — signed w GB — 3y/21M
LB Mingo — signed w IND — 1y/2.5M
DE Long — moves on

IN PROGRESS
LB Hightower
— “concerted effort to re-sign“ — (other opt: TEN)
S King — a deal instead of tender expected
RB Blount — wants to return; Pats exploring options
WR Floyd — both were interested in return after SBLI - now ?
RB Bolden — /
TE/DE Scruggs — ?
--

OTHER
OT Vollmer
— released-injury related/retired
WR Amendola - willing to restructure
QB Garoppolo - to be or not to be traded..
_____

Projected comp picks: 3 - Sheard (4th), Bennett (4/5th), Mingo (7th)
_____
approx Cap remaining: 40M+
(guessing Branch & Williams cap hits + Amendola restructure(hopefully)/release)

Note: Pats were awarded a good 1M in adjusted cap yesterday.
-
61 signed .. 29 to go
-

Last edited:
FA - Day 2 _ concluded

Quick recap of Days 1-2
(cap hits for 2017; not everywhere guaranteed)

NEW
CB Gilmore
— signed UFA — 5y/65M (40M gtd) — 8.6 cap hit
TE Allen — in trade (4th for 6th) — 3y/17M (5M gtd) — 5M cap hit
DE Ealy — in trade (2nd (64) for 3rd(72)) —0.8 cap hit
WR Cooks — in trade (1st and 3rd for 4th) — 1.5 cap hit

(note: only Gilmore will count against comp pick eq. (3th round) - offsets Ryan

RE-SIGNED/TENDERED
DT Branch
— re-signed — 2y/12M — ( 5M cap hit ? )
CB Butler — 1st round tender — 3.9M cap hit
S Harmon — re-signed — 4y/17M-20 (6.5gtd) — 3.5M cap hit
OT Flemingoriginal round tender (4th) — 1.8M cap hit
FB Develin —re-signed — 2y/2.8M — 1.2M cap hit
TE Williams — re-signed — 1y — ( 1M cap hit ? )
CB Coleman — tendered — 0.6M cap hit
TE Lengel — tendered — 0.5M cap hit

GONE
CB Ryan
— signing w TEN — 3y/30M
DE Sheard — signed w IND — 3y/25.5M (13 gtd)
TE Bennett — signed w GB — 3y/21M
LB Mingo — signed w IND — 1y/2.5M
DE Long — moves on

IN PROGRESS
LB Hightower
— “concerted effort to re-sign“ — (other opt: TEN)
S King — a deal instead of tender expected
RB Blount — wants to return; Pats exploring options
WR Floyd — both were interested in return after SBLI - now ?
RB Bolden — /
TE/DE Scruggs — ?
--

OTHER
OT Vollmer
— released-injury related/retired
WR Amendola - willing to restructure
QB Garoppolo - to be or not to be traded..
_____

Projected comp picks: 3 - Sheard (4th), Bennett (4th), Mingo (7th)
_____
approx Cap remaining: 40M+
(guessing Branch & Williams cap hits + Amendola restructure(hopefully)/release)

Note: Pats were awarded a good 1M in adjusted cap.
-
61 signed .. 29 to go
-

Super helpful thank you.

Further breaking down the Gilmore deal. Lets assume he is let go year 5 or the contract only pays the first 4 years and he is restructured.

If cut that last year and they choose to eat it they paid 53 for 4 years (or 13.25) If they decide to keep/Extend him but change it it would be 49.4 or 4 years (12.35). Both would be fairly reasonable in the current market but no way they cut him before year 5. Year 4 would have a 7.2 dead money hit.

So even after the Pats sign Hightower they will still have about 20M to play with not counting emergency funds and drat signings. I wonder if we see another DE or LB brought it.

Last edited:
Super helpful thank you.

Further breaking down the Gilmore deal. Lets assume he is let go year 5 or the contract only pays the first 4 years and he is restructured.

If cut that last year and they choose to eat it they paid 53 for 4 years (or 13.25) If they decide to keep/Extend him but change it it would be 49.4 or 4 years (12.35). Both would be fairly reasonable in the current market but no way they cut him before year 5. Year 4 would have a 7.2 dead money hit.

So even after the Pats sign Hightower they will still have about 20M to play with not counting emergency funds and drat signings. I wonder if we see another DE or LB brought it.

As it currently stands Pats will need just over 1M for their 2017 Draft picks (top 51 contracts rule). Having said that I don't think BB will go into draft without at least one more top pick (and I don't even mean Jimmy).

In any case this is insane roster position for Pats. The league must be in pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore