PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 Pats Ranked Number ONE Pats SB team

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were very good. But it’s hard to see them beating Elway in Denver had Jax not done it first.

That's a fair statement.

2004 Pats were the best of the bunch. I'd argue that the 2014 Patriots were also top 3. Very balanced teams. 2014 was a pretty healthy group with both a great offense and great defense.

Got to give a lot of credit to the 2016 & 2017 teams though. I have never seen a group as mentally tough as these guys. Never out of a game. They seem to make the impossible happen. Hopefully 2017 team can seal the deal.

Last edited:
My rankings.

#10 1996
#9 1985
#8 2011
#7 2001
#6 2017* assuming they win.
#5 2003
#4 2016
#3 2007
#2 2014
#1 2004

I think 2014 was a super underrated team. Seattle was honestly lucky to be in that game and that is saying a lot since they were a REALLY good team.

I'd rank the 2007 team lower. Saw what Troy Brown said last week following the Jags win, how it was the worst week of practice he's seen IN HIS LIFE. Sounds like they got too ****y and couldn't close the deal. You don't get points for blowing out Buffalo in October. I hear Dan Duquette in my head "More days in first place." You need to close the deal to be #1.

I'd put the 2004 team #1.

I think the 07 team is very overrated for what they did from September through November. But they were very ordinary in December and January. The 03, 04, and even 2014 teams got better as the season got to the home stretch. Not so for the 07 team.

I don't know how anyone could'v felt 100 percent confident after a very shaky win over two ordinary teams in Jax & SD. Furthermore, the Giants were getting hot and clicking on all cylinders. The signs were there that the Giants could win that SB. But many, including me, were blinded by the offensive explosion between said months of Sep to Nov.

I think the 07 team is very overrated for what they did from September through November. But they were very ordinary in December and January. The 03, 04, and even 2014 teams got better as the season got to the home stretch. Not so for the 07 team.

I don't know how anyone could'v felt 100 percent confident after a very shaky win over two ordinary teams in Jax & SD. Furthermore, the Giants were getting hot and clicking on all cylinders. The signs were there that the Giants could win that SB. But many, including me, were blinded by the offensive explosion between said months of Sep to Nov.
07 was still smacking teams at the end.. Steelers. Dolphins.. etc. GOAT team NFL, easy

07 was still smacking teams at the end.. Steelers. Dolphins.. etc. GOAT team NFL, easy

Yeah but my point was alot of the blowouts happened early in the season. After the shellacking in Buffalo, they weren't some unbeatable juggernaut who was kicking teams butts left and right.

But in historical context, they were certaintly a top five NFL team of all time. I also agree, while others don't , with the 16-0 banner. I can appreciate how hard it must be to do that.

The 07 team was the most entertaining to watch. But the 01 team will always be my favorite. A) It was the first title. B) the snow game to beating Pittsburgh when they had their bags already packed. C) Tom Brady's legend was born.

For December and January(Baltimore->SD) the 2007 team averaged 28.4 pts/game. The 2017 Patriots averaged 28.6pts/game for the season. :D

The '04 team played the 13-4 Colts (Peyton Manning's 49 TD campaign), and held them to 3 points. They played the 16-1 Steelers and blew them out at Heinz Field. They played the 15-3 Eagles who, in any other year, would be an easy Super Bowl favorite against any AFC opponent and were possibly a top-10 team of the 2000s, and they won comfortably. The '07 team was great, but their Super Bowl loss wasn't just a one fluke play. Their defense was not close to the '04 defense.

nope....to me '04 will always be number 1. in playoffs, beat number 1 offense by allowing only 3 points and beat number 1 defense while scoring 41 points and then closed out with SB win.....

2004 Pats were the best of the bunch. I'd argue that the 2014 Patriots were also top 3. Very balanced teams. 2014 was a pretty healthy group with both a great offense and great defense.

Got to give a lot of credit to the 2016 & 2017 teams though. I have never seen a group as mentally tough as these guys. Never out of a game. They seem to make the impossible happen. Hopefully 2017 team can seal the deal.
2007 18-1 (Done only three times before -- SB lost on fluke)
2014 15-4 (15-4 done MANY times before -- Arguably Super Bowl WON on a flukey, but great play)

2007 average margin of victory 20 points. unbelievable.

How could you not feel confident.

The team hadn't lost a game all season long.

The team beat this same team on the road in Dec/January weather conditions.

Now this undefeated team with a 'video game-like' offense was playing the same team indoors on a neutral field. If you weren't confident going into that game, then you'll never be confident going into a Super Bowl.

nope....to me '04 will always be number 1. in playoffs, beat number 1 offense by allowing only 3 points and beat number 1 defense while scoring 41 points and then closed out with SB win.....

Right, the 2004 Super Bowl is almost a footnote in Pats history because it was by far their least exciting victory, BUT it was their most impressive playoff path (for some of the reasons you've already explained, but worth repeating).......

Divisional Round - played the #1 offense with historic passing game, Manning set TD record, and they became the first team to have three receivers each with 10+ TDs and 1,000+ yards. Who was covering these receivers? Yup, Samuel (in his second year), undrafted Randal Gay, and wide receiver Troy Brown.......and the Colts scored 3 points? Are you serious? I still to this day consider this their most impressive playoff win.

Championship Round - play on the road against the league's #1 defense against a team that whooped you earlier in the season.....oh, and your QB had a fever of 103.....and your team puts up 41 points? you can't make this stuff up

Super Bowl - they didn't play a fluky team that got hot. They played against the class of the NFC, a team that had just made it to 4 straight NFC championship games.

I would too. I’ll say this though, that 2007 team was freaky good. They torched everyone they faced all year, the super bowl was an anomoly

They definitely had trouble with the Ravens that year (I was at that game) and Philadelphia as well. Buffalo was the high point and things just weren’t the same afterwards.

I'd rank the 2007 team lower. Saw what Troy Brown said last week following the Jags win, how it was the worst week of practice he's seen IN HIS LIFE. Sounds like they got too ****y and couldn't close the deal. You don't get points for blowing out Buffalo in October. I hear Dan Duquette in my head "More days in first place." You need to close the deal to be #1.

I'd put the 2004 team #1.

I don't recall the Troy Brown comment. Can you elaborate?

They definitely had trouble with the Ravens that year (I was at that game) and Philadelphia as well. Buffalo was the high point and things just weren’t the same afterwards.

The Ravens game featured 27mph winds. And they put up 31 points on the Eagles, despite losing a possession due to a surprise onside kick.

Then they put up 34 against the Steelers, 28(in 1 half against the Dolphins), and 38 against the Giants. And only 20 against the Jets in another weather affected game.

The "broken" 2007 Patriots outscored opponents 178-117 over the last 6 games of the regular season. Over a 16 game season this would be 475-312 for a point differential of 163. For the record the Patriots and Eagles tied for the league lead with a point differential of 162 in 2017.

So the supposedly "broken" Patriots at the end of the year were still better than any team in the NFL this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST