PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 Pats Ranked Number ONE Pats SB team

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can a team that lost to an inferior team be ranked #1?

I'd put 2001, 2014, and 2016 ahead of 2007 (in no particular order) - that is assume we are talking about performance WHITHIN the superbowl itself. If we are ranking over the whole season, than yes, 2007 is the greatest.

Hell, if Pierre Woods doesn't let Ahmad Bradshaw take away the recovered fumble from him;

Yeah, that one was so odd to me. Wasn't Pierre Woods completely on top of it covering it and Ahmad Bradshaw came in after the fact and took it?

I don't blame the refs, for Pierre Woods to lose that ball when he appeared to be on top of it on the ground, he didn't deserve it based on principal.

But still, I remembered that play when they changed the replay rule regarding fumble recoveries. If the replay rule was in effect back then that is now, we would have gotten that ball (atleast how I remember it. I have not seen a video since then. Perhaps my bias has colored my memory of it). Now replay can be used to see who recovered a fumble, back then it could not.

We need to wrap our heads around just how sick it is to be able to rank the best Patriots Super Bowl teams, and to have so many deserving candidates.

Fans of 31 other teams are just hoping to get to the big game so they've got a chance of competing while we are debating style points about how well different Pats rosters stacked up in that competition.

We are truly blessed!

Yeah, that one was so odd to me. Wasn't Pierre Woods completely on top of it covering it and Ahmad Bradshaw came in after the fact and took it?

I don't blame the refs, for Pierre Woods to lose that ball when he appeared to be on top of it on the ground, he didn't deserve it based on principal.

But still, I remembered that play when they changed the replay rule regarding fumble recoveries. If the replay rule was in effect back then that is now, we would have gotten that ball (atleast how I remember it. I have not seen a video since then. Perhaps my bias has colored my memory of it). Now replay can be used to see who recovered a fumble, back then it could not.
He was completely on top of it and it should have been blown dead. Bradshaw was digging at it . Bull **** play.

Found a video of it.

Yep! Exactly how I remembered. Maybe the ball was squirming underneath him but that should have been ruled a new England recovery

Yup, they were THAT close to a storybook ending.......if Tyree doesn't make a play then Moss has the game winning touchdown.

It was a tough one, but having the extreme fortune of a turnover at the 1 yard line and a 25 point comeback I've learned to cope.
If the Patriots achieved perfect, where is the hunger moving forward? Part of what fueled their continued reign has been a quest for perfection one game at a time.

I would have loved 19-0, but I think I'd rather have a dynasty like we are witnessing than a Dolphins scenario where the players get together and reminisce about that one season. Screw that.

If the Patriots achieved perfect, where is the hunger moving forward? Part of what fueled their continued reign has been a quest for perfection one game at a time.

I would have loved 19-0, but I think I'd rather have a dynasty like we are witnessing than a Dolphins scenario where the players get together and reminisce about that one season. Screw that.

Interesting question.

I think 19-0 would have added to the 01-17 dynasty legacy.

Fish won it again in 73 so the weren't complacent

I have no doubt the hunger would have been there b/c BB would drive them.

But Tom got hurt so....

Interesting question.

I think 19-0 would have added to the 01-17 dynasty legacy.

Fish won it again in 73 so the weren't complacent

I have no doubt the hunger would have been there b/c BB would drive them.

But Tom got hurt so....
It is still incredible that we went 11-5 in 2008, were on fire that last month, and still managed to miss the postseason.

Good point about the Dolphins, so I guess complacency doesn't automatically set in. I'm just worried that we would have lacked that drive for more if we went 19-0.

It is still incredible that we went 11-5 in 2008, were on fire that last month, and still managed to miss the postseason.

Good point about the Dolphins, so I guess complacency doesn't automatically set in. I'm just worried that we would have lacked that drive for more if we went 19-0.
IMO the fact they went 11-5 after such a physically and mentally exhausting season and losing Tom was BBs greatest coaching job.

A couple of years ago, I composed a 2007 Appreciation Thread. Two things truly stand out about them

1) Brady had authored one of the finest seasons ever enjoyed by an NFL quarterback, completing 68.9% of his passes, accumulating a 6.25:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio, and topping Manning’s single-season touchdown record (50). “To bring some clarity and perspective to Brady's season,” wrote Gene Wojciechowski of ESPN, “think of it this way: He has more touchdown passes than the rest of the AFC East (31), more than the combined totals of Brett Favre and Drew Brees (44), and the exact combined totals of Peyton and Eli Manning. He also has just five interceptions in 476 pass attempts. Dallas 'Tony Romo threw that many picks in a single game this season” These were out-of-this-world numbers that defied description.

Manning’s 2013-14 season came about during a more prolific offensive climate than Brady’s 2007 gem, his increased offensive output doesn't move the needle as much as Brady’s did when yards and points were at more of a premium. Furthermore, the numbers show that Brady would likely have had better numbers if given more opportunities. Any fantasy owner can attest to the sheer volume of Manning’s 2013 stats. His 55 touchdowns in 2013 trumps Brady’s ’07 total by five, and his 5,477 yards gives him a 671-yard advantage. Manning also threw 16 more touchdowns than the next closest quarterback this season, while Brady eclipsed the field by 14 scores in 2007. Yet while Manning threw five more touchdowns in 2014 than Brady did in 07', he also attempted 81 more passes. So, while he edges Brady in sheer volume, Brady actually threw touchdowns at a higher clip in 2007. It’s close, but Brady’s touchdown percentage beats Manning’s, 8.7 to 8.3. In other words, if Brady threw the football as often as Manning, he would have heaved 57 touchdowns passes and his record would still stand.

In 2013, teams surrendered 43 percent more yards to Manning than the average quarterback and more than twice as many touchdowns than against every other quarterback they faced. Yet Brady’s 2007 ratios are even more impressive as he averaged 48 percent more yards than defenses had otherwise allowed and a mind-blowing 150 percent more touchdowns than his opponents yielded, on average to their other opponents. That means when Brady came to town, however many touchdowns you expected to give up, you could count on doubling that number, then adding half of it again! And he did so against tougher defenses than Manning.

In 2013, the Broncos faced only two top-10 ranked pass defenses across the NFL and just one of the top five, whereas Brady and the 2007 Patriots went toe-to-toe with a top-10 defense six times, including four showdowns against top-five units. The Broncos also squared off against one of the league’s 10 worst pass defenses nine times, including an astonishing six matchups against a team ranked in the bottom five in defense. The Brady and the Pats had no such luck, only netting four games against teams ranked among the 10 worst in defense and just two matchups—both vs. the Bills —against a bottom-five unit.

2) Title or not, though, for a solid 18 weeks, New England was home to what was literally the most prolific offense the NFL had ever seen, whose + 315 point differential was 127 more than that year’s second place Indianapolis Colt’s (+ 188). I was inspired by a Reddit post of an image from the Patriots 2007 season, which stated that the Patriots had the fewest drives in the league (102), yet had produced the greatest number of touchdown drives (51). By the end of the season, the Patriots had increased their drive total to the third fewest in the league (170) ahead of only the Colts (166) and the Jaguars (169), but the point stood: the Patriots 2007 offense was the most ruthlessly efficient ever witnessed in NFL history, with over 40% of their drives resulting in a touchdown. Combining the 21 field goals with the 75 offensive touchdowns means that the 2007 scored on 88 out of 167 offensive possessions, giving them and astonishing scoring percentage of 52.7%. While the 2013 Broncos might have scored more points than the 07 Pats, they did so on 32 additional drives.

Reddit user 2037764943 decided to look at Points per Drive statistics since 1991 to see which teams scored the most consistently over the course of their seasons. It's no surprise that the 2007 Patriots scored highest for PPD and set the gold standard for offenses. The 2007 New England Patriots scored 3.53 points per drive, which clearly cements them as the best offense in the history of the game. To put these statistics in perspective, the 2011 Packers scored 3.05 points per drive. The '99 Greatest Show on Turf scored 2.85 points per drive. The 1998 Cunningham-to-Moss Vikings scored 2.92 points per drive. The 2013 Denver Broncos scored 2.98 points per drive, which is still impressive, but New England’s offense was playing on a whole other level in 2007. Again, the '07 Patriots scored 3.53 points per drive! That's insane!

Last edited:

Absolutely! Since 1967, there has always been a team that has won a Super Bowl, and a team that has lost. It's an annual event, not a rarity, that has happened 49 times in the last 49 years That means that 49 different teams have won a Super Bowl title, and 49 teams have lost. But for the entire existence of the NFL, only twice has a team ever gone undefeated in the regular season. And no one other team has ever gone 16-0 in the regular season, or strung together eighteen victories in a row to open up a season. And when you consider the special circumstances of that season -- from mandated parity (salary cap, free agency, balanced scheduling) to the intense media coverage (e.g. the constant allegations of cheating, investigations, the death of a teammate in training camp, never-ending public scrutiny) that achievement really starts to speak for itself.

To me, they were playing with house money,
I will never understand this revisionist view of the 2011 Pats. They were 13-3, and the year before they were 14-2 and lost to the Jets in the Divisional.

Winning it that year was expected. 13-3 against the 9-7 Giants. The D did not play bad in that game. They should have won, and no, the Pats at 13-3, in the SUper Bowl, are NEVER "playing with house money"

The ONLY Brady lead Pats team "playing with house money" would have been SB 36.

True. Except I wouldn't put the 2007 in the same category as the 73' phins.
For instance, the amount of medical knowledge and how we view fitness, conditioning, and strength training has all evolved dramatically. "There is no way to compare," said Manny Fernandez a defensive tackle for Miami in 1972. "The rules are all so different, it's changed the entire complexion and physical makeup of the game. Obviously, we couldn't stand up physically to guys who weigh 340 pounds for 60 minutes, week in and week out. Giving away 80 to 90 pounds a man, it would be tough.” The size and speed of players, the quality of training, and overall level of skill has become much more competitive, not to mention that players start playing football at a younger age. And unlike in the 1970s -- when teams like Pittsburgh, Dallas and Miami had a stable roster of 1-st rate players -- there's a greater turnover and balance of talent throughout the League, thanks to the salary cap and free agency. That just makes it harder for one team to dominate - yet still, the Pats went 18-0 until the Super Bowl. That's pretty amazing when you think about!

In 1972, the Dolphins also happened to draw what many consider one of the leastcompetitive schedules in NFL history. The Simple Rating System used by Pro-Football-Reference (which rates teams based on the outcome of their regular season games and the strength of the opponents they faced) rates Miami's 1972 strength of schedule as -4.3, with 0 being average. The 1972 Miami Dolphins were helped along by the poor performance of their regular season opponents, whose overall win percentage fell below .400.

KC: 8-6
HOU: 1-13
MIN: 7-7
NYJ: 7-7
SD: 4-9-1
BUF: 4-9-1
BAL: 5-9
BUF: 4-9-1
NE: 3-11
NYJ: 7-7
STL: 4-9-1
NE: 3-11
NYG: 8-6
BAL: 5-9

That’s a combined record of 70-122-4 (0.367 winning percentage). They played only two teams above .500 all season, and both of them only 8-6. And none of the teams in their schedule made the playoffs. So the 72' Dolphins, for the most part, flew under the radar and generally went unnoticed until the playoffs, where they faced much stiffer opposition against top-tier teams like the Steelers.

Now let's compare that to the 2007 Patriots schedule:

NYJ: 4-12
SD: 11-5
BUF: 7-9
CIN: 7-9
CLE: 10-6
DAL: 13-3
MIA: 1-15
WAS: 9-7
IND: 13-3
BUF: 7-9
PHI: 8-8
BAL: 5-11
PIT: 10-6
NYJ: 4-12
MIA: 1-15
NYG: 10-6

Thanks to the Dolphins 1-15 weighted record, the combined record of all teams is still under .500 (0.469 winning percentage), but it's obvious that New England played much better opponents. 7 of their 16 opponents had winning records, and 6 of those 7 made the playoffs (Cleveland had the same 10-6 record as Pittsburgh, but lost the tiebreaker). In the regular season New England played the AFC #2, #3, and #4 seeds, and the NFC #1, #5, and #6 seeds. In other words, the Patriots had to contend with several top-tier division leaders, and defeated some of the best teams in League.

On top of that, the Patriots faced a lot more media scrutiny and adversity. The toughest part of pursuing a perfect season? The hype it creates. Chasing a record means finding yourself under a bigger spotlight. Win 10 or so consecutive games and suddenly a media circus develops. There were no cameras following the Dolphins' every move, no scrutiny from ESPN, 24-hour sport radio or the Internet. The Patriots were in a fishbowl all season unlike any other: a teammate dying in training camp, SpyGate, and the first serious team to challenge 16-0 in the media hype era. No team has gone through the pressure cooker that this team did for 10+ games and almost come out unscathed and perfect (given the magnitude of the SB 46 loss, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that this team rose to the occasion almost every single time it faced adversity).

only three times every has a team gone 18-1.

18 in season wins in a row is obviously the NFL record, and can only be broken by an un-defeated 19-0 season.

Your long post explains its perfect. The 2007 Pats are rather easily the GREATEST NFL team in history, and it is not really that close. And also, it is unlikely there will ever be a better NFL team for a single season either.

Yep! Exactly how I remembered. Maybe the ball was squirming underneath him but that should have been ruled a new England recovery
Woods should've been stronger on the ball...same as Moss on 3rd/20.

I will never understand this revisionist view of the 2011 Pats. They were 13-3, and the year before they were 14-2 and lost to the Jets in the Divisional.

Winning it that year was expected. 13-3 against the 9-7 Giants. The D did not play bad in that game. They should have won, and no, the Pats at 13-3, in the SUper Bowl, are NEVER "playing with house money"

The ONLY Brady lead Pats team "playing with house money" would have been SB 36.
The D played quite bad in that game. The Giants had the ball for 37 minutes because they couldn't get off the field. Eli completed 75% of his passes. They gave up an 88 yard drive to end the game. The defense wasn't good all year so it wasn't a surprise though.

All those champion teams above were better than the 2007 team and would beat the 2007 team head to head.

No team with Lawrence Maroney as its RB should be in any of the top5 lists. Aside from Moss and Welker that 2007 offense was fatally flawed at RB, OL.

Some of you sound like Phoenix Suns fans about how great the Nash zero ring teams were

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference