PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2007 Pats Ranked Number ONE Pats SB team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said they were broken?

People that love imaginary ranking of teams, love passing.

I think the 07 team is very overrated for what they did from September through November. But they were very ordinary in December and January. The 03, 04, and even 2014 teams got better as the season got to the home stretch. Not so for the 07 team.

I don't know how anyone could'v felt 100 percent confident after a very shaky win over two ordinary teams in Jax & SD. Furthermore, the Giants were getting hot and clicking on all cylinders. The signs were there that the Giants could win that SB. But many, including me, were blinded by the offensive explosion between said months of Sep to Nov.
Going undefeated for 2 months, including 2 playoff games, can't by definition be " ordinary", let alone " very ordinary."

I would have had the 2004 team number one as well. They just plowed there way through the playoffs. 20-3 against Manning and the Colts. That straight up beat down of Pitt in Pitt was hilarious. What a stacked roster. And while the SB was only a 3 point win, it really didn't feel that close in the second half.

My issue with the 96 team is I feel had Jax not upset Denver, there was no way we were getting past the Broncos.

I agree with those who say the 2007 team was not the same after Thanksgiving.

You could see them running out of steam. Brady limped into the Superbowl with a freaking walking boot, Maroney had an injured shoulder and would duck out of bounds 2 yards early to avoid contact. Sucked cause Maroney looked so good initially but was straight up awful down the stretch.

For me the most special will ALWAYS be the 2001 team. Cause I really did not think we had a shot.

How some dismiss the 2014 team because of a "fluke" play. Have you guys forgotten the real fluke catch from Kearse right before? It's one of the luckiest catches I've ever seen. Not to mention that those Hawks had an All-Time D that utterly destroyed the Peyton led Broncos the year before. Look at the talent of that D. It was the first time in ages the D could actually stop the pass again.

2011 was by far the worst Brady team. The Offense was so good with Welker and the 2 Tight Ends but that Defense was straight garbage. Seriously except for the long time Pats I struggle to remember the starters.

How some dismiss the 2014 team because of a "fluke" play. Have you guys forgotten the real fluke catch from Kearse right before? It's one of the luckiest catches I've ever seen. Not to mention that those Hawks had an All-Time D that utterly destroyed the Peyton led Broncos the year before. Look at the talent of that D. It was the first time in ages the D could actually stop the pass again.

2011 was by far the worst Brady team. The Offense was so good with Welker and the 2 Tight Ends but that Defense was straight garbage. Seriously except for the long time Pats I struggle to remember the starters.

The SB 46 loss wasn't near as demoralizing as SB 42 or the 06 AFCCG. To me, they were playing with house money, & I was happy Brady was even able to drag that atrocious D to a SB. I was over that loss after a day.

The 2014 team was the best team they had in the last decade ( sans 07 maybe). They had Edelman, Gronk, Vareen ( sp?), HT, Revis, Wilfork, Browner, and McCourty. Unlike the 07 playoffs, that team was an offensive machine in the postseason.

2004 gets the default nod. The season itself and the level of playoff opponents are enough on their own, but huge bonus points for it being a title defense. I think defending a title is one of the hardest things to do in sports.

2016 gets big points for finishing business that was left undone in Denver the year prior. And doing it with a 31-0 run on a red hot Atlanta team was finishing in style the league has never seen.

Regards,
Chris

The 2014 team was the best team they had in the last decade ( sans 07 maybe). They had Edelman, Gronk, Vareen ( sp?), HT, Revis, Wilfork, Browner, and McCourty. Unlike the 07 playoffs, that team was an offensive machine in the postseason.

Plus Jones, Collins and Ninkovich up front and a Butler outta nowhere! Also Brandon LaFell was actually really good that one season, on a level he never was before or since.

The SB 46 loss wasn't near as demoralizing as SB 42 or the 06 AFCCG. To me, they were playing with house money, & I was happy Brady was even able to drag that atrocious D to a SB. I was over that loss after a day.

I'll always bring up 2010 in these discussions. I've never seen a team just blow everyone out down the stretch like they did. I don't know if I'll ever be more hurt by a loss, but I'll also never be 15 again.

Plus Jones, Collins and Ninkovich up front and a Butler outta nowhere! Also Brandon LaFell was actually really good that one season, on a level he never was before or since.

His 2016 with CIN was comparable but not quite as good.

2007 can't be number one. You can't be number one if you score 14 points against a 10-6 team in the biggest game of the year.

I don't recall the Troy Brown comment. Can you elaborate?

He said that the week of practice was the worst he'd seen at any level, pop warner thru pros. He intimated that guys weren't taking it seriously. Felger followed up and Brown said that guys were just mailing it in. My words, paraphrasing, not his.

I'm shocked that they would be lackadaisical in preparation for that game, but I don't doubt the man. I would imagine the mental fortitude it takes to be that focused for that long (Sept-Feb) is beyond anything any of them have experienced, before or since. I also imagine the contrarian voices of the 2009 campaign might have started to have their voices heard. Only the guys in the locker room know.

I look forward to the books that hopefully come out.

He said that the week of practice was the worst he'd seen at any level, pop warner thru pros. He intimated that guys weren't taking it seriously. Felger followed up and Brown said that guys were just mailing it in. My words, paraphrasing, not his.

I'm shocked that they would be lackadaisical in preparation for that game, but I don't doubt the man. I would imagine the mental fortitude it takes to be that focused for that long (Sept-Feb) is beyond anything any of them have experienced, before or since. I also imagine the contrarian voices of the 2009 campaign might have started to have their voices heard. Only the guys in the locker room know.

I look forward to the books that hopefully come out.

I think I read a long time ago that Belichick actually stopped one of the practices and sent everyone home because it was so bad.

I think I read a long time ago that Belichick actually stopped one of the practices and sent everyone home because it was so bad.

It blows my mind that they were THAT close to immortality and they blew it.

It's also from Troy:

Brown: Patriots didn't practice well before Super Bowl XLII
“I think some guys were a little bit uptight. Some guys didn’t really understand the moment,” said former Patriots wideout Troy Brown. “One of the biggest things that stood out to me that week, we just didn’t practice very well that week. I remember Bill stopping practice and pulling everybody off the field and having Jim Brown talk to us about the moment, which was embarrassing in itself because you’ve got one of the greatest players that’s ever lived watching you get ready for a Super Bowl and you look like crap on the practice field.

If Brady doesn't injure his ankle in the 2007 AFCCG and Neal doesn't go down early in SB42, NE wins the game.

well we beat the folks down pretty good on this one. Good work.

2007 top GOAT team

I'll always bring up 2010 in these discussions. I've never seen a team just blow everyone out down the stretch like they did. I don't know if I'll ever be more hurt by a loss, but I'll also never be 15 again.

It was a stunning result. Especially when you consider they anihilated the Jets on MNF six weeks prior. The Steelers lucked out that the NYJ did them a favor. But yeah, I really thought that team was SB bound.

Pending they don't lose like the Saints did, or pull an Atlanta, I don't think losing next Sunday will be too heartbreaking. Especially when you consider they've already won two out of the last three. Playing with house money.

If Brady doesn't injure his ankle in the 2007 AFCCG and Neal doesn't go down early in SB42, NE wins the game.
Hell, if Pierre Woods doesn't let Ahmad Bradshaw take away the recovered fumble from him; and if Bill/Skippy don't call a 3rd/6 play that has Brady sacked, then if Brady doesn't miss a wide-open Receiver on the subsequent 4th/13; those are 2 FGs that Gostkowski kicks that would've given the Pats a 10-point lead with just over 2 minutes left in the game.

Let's pray that Skippy doesn't have similar brain farts throughout this SB either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST