PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SB Memory Lane: 2003 Patriots

If you went to The Corner in New Orleans for 36, you drank with us, lol...
We were in the visitors sideline up top in New Orleans right around the 30 yard line. Didn't have any drinks until we hit Bourbon Street to celebrate.

We were in the visitors sideline up top in New Orleans right around the 30 yard line. Didn't have any drinks until we hit Bourbon Street to celebrate.
ack, if i had my ticket stub for that game id tell you exactly where we were... its buried in a photo album... but we were on the Pat sideline, around the 40 yard line, so across the stadium from you...

I freaking loved this team.

Bunch of bad asses.

Every time they needed a play they made it.

Speaking of 04 team, from top to bottom, would you say they were more balanced than the 07 team? The 07 team had more talent. But that 04 team seemed like a better TEAM as a whole.
I think people equate ‘talent’ with ‘offensive talent’.

I’d argue the 03 D > 07 D disparity was greater than the 03 O < 07 O. Especially if you consider the second half of those seasons.

I think people equate ‘talent’ with ‘offensive talent’.

I’d argue the 03 D > 07 D disparity was greater than the 03 O < 07 O. Especially if you consider the second half of those seasons.
2 things:
07 Brady was fully developed
Moss

2 things:
07 Brady was fully developed
Moss
I’d rather the D & the ring of 2003. As fun as the pre Halloween madness was - as well as the pursuit of perfection - the loss really left a bad taste. The team’s scoring slowed as the temperature plummeted. And the D was aging at key spots.

I’m sure my take would be completely different if they’d won the last game, but ugh…

I’d rather the D & the ring of 2003. As fun as the pre Halloween madness was - as well as the pursuit of perfection - the loss really left a bad taste. The team’s scoring slowed as the temperature plummeted. And the D was aging at key spots.

I’m sure my take would be completely different if they’d won the last game, but ugh…
I went to 15 games in 07 including the last one I hate that it just gets washed under the table it was a magical season. With 6 rings in the bank I prefer to embrace 07.

Yeah, '03 was fun. I liked '04 better because of Troy Brown playing CB and whooping the Steelers in their house...

Yeah, McNabb puking made it a bit anti-climatic...

God, I loved all of those teams...even the '07, '11, and '17 teams....

One of my favorite seasons/Super Bowls. When Brady really became “the guy”

One of my favorite seasons/Super Bowls. When Brady really became “the guy”

I agree....although Brady had a decent 2002 season in which he actually led the league in TD passes...so he was coming on long before that....

I went to 15 games in 07 including the last one I hate that it just gets washed under the table it was a magical season. With 6 rings in the bank I prefer to embrace 07.
I hear ya. In my older, wiser years now I can look back and admit I placed far too much importance on the results of football games in my 20's. Accepting any loss took work, nevermind Super Bowl 42. That did a number on me.....

But now I have perspective, and I recall being a fan who dreamed of just getting one championship in my lifetime....I've been fortunate enough to watch six....so I'll accept that I have plenty to be happy about and I can now appreciate the 2007 team without getting a pit in my stomach like I used to.

What doesn't get the credit it deserves is the run in 03 and 04. From 2-2 in early 2003, they went 34-2 until early 05. That is likely never to be repeated....
Good point, towards the end of 2006 through the beginning of 2008 they had a stretch of 25-2, but still a full 9 games short of the run you mentioned.....that is pretty crazy

Good point, towards the end of 2006 through the beginning of 2008 they had a stretch of 25-2, but still a full 9 games short of the run you mentioned.....that is pretty crazy
I assume this is regular season only

This question wouldn't have been asked had they found a way to beat the Giants in the Super Bowl. Tom Brady was playing on a high ankle sprain and could barely move. Stephen Neal left the game with an injury.

Their passing offense was clearly superior, but the running game was better in 2004. The injury to Sammy Morris in 2007 was very underrated.

2007 defense was 3 years older and was missing Law and Poole. Samuel and Hobbs had their issues against elite or big/physical WR's. Run defense got exposed when teams where able to keep the game within distance. Colvin's injury also was underrated as now Adalius Thomas had to rush the passer (which he was good at), but was brought in to erase TE's (which he did).

With that all said, the 2007 team was the best Pats team.
Good take.

I'd put that 2014 squad up against any of 'em.

I went to three games that year ( opening day in the Meadowlands wearing PAts gear and getting pelted), week 16 versus Miami (my kid convinced Vonnie Holiday to give him a ball and they sat in front row end zone seats for the first half until the rightful occupants showed up) and week 17 in Meadowlands.. Giants fans were more civilized...

No, I included the playoffs in 03 and 04 ( 6 more wins). Regular season only was 28-2, not too shabby either..
Oh I see now the 2 losses were colts playoff in 06 and SB 07. This team won so much it can be hard to pin down what everyone talks about.

Oh I see now the 2 losses were colts playoff in 06 and SB 07. This team won so much it can be hard to pin down what everyone talks about.
From week 5 of '03 to early '05, the two losses in 04 were to Pittsburgh and that weird late season meltdown to a crappy Miami team where the Pats blew an 11 point lead w 4 minutes left as Brady threw 2 ints... Better regular season than playoffs...

It's crazy. Talking about multiple season's losses on one hand.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back