PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

100% Health - Amendola or Edelman in the slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always ... depends on the matchups for the game ... nice to have both of them.

I am not here trying to make comparisons but remember Troy Brown? He was buried under the depth charts for seven years. His first year as a starter was 2000, recording 83 catches, 944 yards, and 4TD. This is technically JE's first year as a true starter and so far he has made the best of his opportunities. Tied for lead league in catches and already has 2 TD's. Its safe to assume that there is a possibility that he can surpass what Troy Brown did in 2000. Again, I'm not saying JE is anywhere near Troy Brown...one could only hope:)

Im just saying that sometimes players need time to develop and given an opportunity.

This is how I look at it. Past years we've used Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez working the middle of the field.... Why can't we use Gronk, Amendola, and Edelman?

If Edelman is reliable in routinely-difficult catches for another half-season or so, I'll entertain the possibility that they've become comparable players.

If Edelman and Amendola are both healthy a half-season from now, I'll be delighted.

Trying to compare two players based on statistics given different situations (Edelman playing with another slot receiver like Welker, getting a chance to shine when there are no other veteran options) is certainly difficult.

That's why you watch them perform in the games. That's what the coaches do with practices and game films. They don't compile statistics to decide who they play, who they trade for etc.

I am not here trying to make comparisons but remember Troy Brown? He was buried under the depth charts for seven years. His first year as a starter was 2000, recording 83 catches, 944 yards, and 4TD. This is technically JE's first year as a true starter and so far he has made the best of his opportunities. Tied for lead league in catches and already has 2 TD's. Its safe to assume that there is a possibility that he can surpass what Troy Brown did in 2000. Again, I'm not saying JE is anywhere near Troy Brown...one could only hope:)

Im just saying that sometimes players need time to develop and given an opportunity.

Anyone that watched Troy his whole career knows that he exploded at every position he was given a chance at. He forced himself into the lineup by being ready any time he had the chance.

Players are individuals. comparing them because of stats or situations can be meaningless. Use your eyes, watch them play.

I think you're putting a lot of stock in Amendola as a player and I'm not exactly sure what you can base it on other than stats and athletic metrics? I say this because unless you pay for a package you very rarely see the Rams on national television so unless I'm missing something you've concluded Amendola to be part the a top slot combination in the NFL.

Would you care to explain why you have this view?

I watch a lot of Rams games because my roommate is from St. Louis, and we have Sunday Ticket so we can get both the Patriots and Rams games.

I said last year - before he was a Patriots - that I thought Amendola with the Rams was a better player than Wes Welker with the Dolphins, in part because he has greater pure speed and thus can do more to stretch a defense. The only issue with Amendola is durability.

As for Edelman, he's a good player. He also plays as an outside receiver quite a bit despite being slapped with the slot receiver label that he got from day one because he was a white guy on a team with Welker, ergo he had to be Welker's backup/heir apparent. He's a head taller than Welker/Amendola and has the strength to beat outside jams.

In other words, you'll see Edelman and Amendola on the field together a lot. It's Dobson who will probably see his playing time cut when Amendola comes back, because Dobson still doesn't look entirely ready.

This seems right.

I would expect Amendola and Gronk to be on the field 90% of the time.

I would expect Edelman and Dobson to share the 3rd WR role.

Considering the fact that all four have been injured, I suspect that this will sort itself out.

We will see the answer to the OP if and when both Edelman and Amendola are 100%. Will one of them get considerably more reps? I think so.

In other words, you'll see Edelman and Amendola on the field together a lot. It's Dobson who will probably see his playing time cut when Amendola comes back, because Dobson still doesn't look entirely ready.

If Edelman is finally past his injury problems, I want him back next year.

-Best PR in the league
-Starting caliber slot WR if needed
-Great Amendola insurance
-Good #3/#4 WR

I fear that teams won't make the same mistakes twice and of them will overpay him in the offseason. If he's overlooked, we'll gladly take him at 1-2 mil a year again.

Anyone that watched Troy his whole career knows that he exploded at every position he was given a chance at. He forced himself into the lineup by being ready any time he had the chance.

Players are individuals. comparing them because of stats or situations can be meaningless. Use your eyes, watch them play.

I meant to say that I'm not comparing Troy Brown with JE. I was making a point that it took years before he became a full time starter.

Is there some affirmative action law we have to worry about or something? Otherwise they're both going to be on the field and they are both going to line up in a variety of locations.

2WR sets I expect Amendola and Thompkins or Amendola and Edelman, depending on the situation.

3WR sets I expect either Amendola, Thompkins and Edelman or Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson, depending on the situation.

In any case, Edelman would never be on the field ahead of a healthy Amendola. That's just silly talk.

This is how I look at it. Past years we've used Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez working the middle of the field.... Why can't we use Gronk, Amendola, and Edelman?

Yeah. Could Edelman approximate what AH did. Edelman is very shifty also. Go Pats

I'm not sure how this is even a debate. Amendola all day, and twice on Sundays. The line-up I'd love to see at WR is:

Flanker - Dobson
Split End - Thompkins
Slot WR - Amendola/Edelman

Let Edelman come in to spell Amendola, or put him in as the other slot receiver in 4WR sets.

It never ceases to amaze me that people would use combine numbers as a basis for evaluating a pro player's career. Once a player has spent a couple of years in the NFL those numbers are as useless and meaningless as their high school SAT scores.

The answer, at least imo is both. The Patriots are going to look for any mismatches they can find using whatever combinations they can to find them, and with Vereen out there is ample opportunity to mix and match the receivers they have in a wide variety of ways. If they are using Bolden out wide then i think you can expect most of their offensive weapons to spend some time out there, and that includes Amendola and Edelman.

The only thing that I think could weight this temporarily towards Edelman is if they feel like putting Amendola in the slot will increase the likelihood of Amendola re-injuring his groin due to the extreme cuts the slot guys have to make.

It is not even that you have to be gentler, but if you want to make a statement like that you should at least provide something to support it, to expect that you can just disagree by making some abrupt comment and have that hold any merit in my mind as anything other than barbaric is absurd Andy. If you disagree with something I say or a question I ask that is fine but we’re both grown men do not come at me as if my question is not even worthy of anything other than a response that suggests disgust. Do I ever treat you with that level of disrespect Andy, ever?
That is pretty much exactly how I viewed your opinion.
I definitely disrespect that opinion. If you take that personally, I can't help it.

Amendola is the best WR, Slot or whatever you want to categorize him as the team has. He would have damn near 45-50 catches right now if he had been healthy these past 3 weeks, and honestly I don't think it has been a bad thing that he has been hurt (Mostly because we managed to win...thanks D), it has allowed the rookies to get invaluable experience and forced Brady to use them. Brady didn't have a choice but to go to them and the rooks, albeit with mistakes, have shown they are capable of getting the job done, improving each week. This offense is going to be absolutely sick when we get Gronk and Amendola back...not to mention Vereen.

I don't think any of our WRs are toward the plus end of the durability spectrum. Slater aside, they're all either vets with a history of getting hurt, or rookies. And rookies are always vulnerable to injury, since they're not used to dealing with the pro game, which has a longer season than the college game and gets you hit by bigger, stronger, faster players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes