PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

“We’re onto Buffalo...”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird. Over the last month i've continually read that he's terrible.
Definitely weird considering he's been one of the best slot covers & versatile DBs in the league over the last 2 years. Still shocked he fell off the map in that draft class. Showed a ton of traits in college. Played as hard as anyone. By all accounts a good dude, again hard worker who is always doing new things in terms of training to get better. Very lucky to have him. Big part of the best DB group in football.

Might want to go back and rewatch that game, bud. Patriots won 26-23.
What do you care, they're just preseason games, correct? Saturday is just another preseason game that doesn't matter, right?

Your DL could definitely give us problems. Oliver hasn't had the stats that might grab attention but if you watch film you've seen a steady incline in his play all year. Very impressed w how he's handling blocking schemes/recognition. How he counters, how efficient he is on stunts & again countering any problems. Your DL loves to fill passing lanes & is pretty disciplined in doing so. One of the toughest things to do as DL is drop, try fill passing lanes etc bc It's just not as natural as going foward & attacking like they've spent their careers doing. It's like when WR show patience at the line, drives DB's crazy bc they want/used to going 100 mph.
Anyway I was impressed w some of the little things your DL does, esp for a rookie in Oliver. Lawson has played a lot better in that regard as well as Murphy. Both prepared for the run, not caught off guard in terms of what's coming at them. I'd add Edmunds as well. Dude is just a freak. Scary to see what he'll become in years ahead. I loved Milano pre-draft. Guy comes from a good family that really played a role in his maturity & ability to handle football at its highest level.
Edmunds has been key all year imo in terms of attacking & confusing the OL. I saw it a few times last game against us I believe. You'll stunt, send him on a delay or fake him & send a DB. Or send both. Brady is so good he'll either recognize it post snap & get it of it or just feel it coming as its happening.
We have the best secondary in the league imo but yours ain't far behind. Gilmore is DPOY but White ain't far behind if at all. Again very impressed w how he's progressing so quickly but man is he patient throughout the route/snap. He doesn't panic. He's having a great year. Hyde/Poyer very physical, versatile, esp Hyde. He'll be in the backfield. All McDermott guys to a T. It shows in the stuff you're able to do. Show man, show overload blitz w Edmunds coming up the A, then drop to zone while blitzing a DB. Johnson is big as he's been successful against 11. I can't imagine you guys holding anything back this week. It's a long shot but what do you have to lose & there's no better confidence booster going into the playoffs.

Your offense is actually starting to resemble a functional offense & I'm not trying to be a DH. Yea Josh is still yikes at times but he's gotten much better w his hot read(s). He's able to go through progressions, identify concepts & where to go. He's slow in doing so & his mechanics break down at times but that's to be expected, he's obviously a work in progress. One coming along a little faster then I thought (I'm a weirdo draftnik that follows closely/graded prospects)
Again I've seen go through reads on plays we've run before. Ton of nub sets. Looking vert first/reading horizontal after. Again slow w recognition on some option routes but he's got the whip & talent dig himself out of a lot of holes. I think your tied for 5th of big/explosive plays (15-20+ yard plays) so again even if things break down Allen can make it happen when **** goes sideways. I want to keep him in the pocket, but move him off his spot. Get his footwork going & mess w his first read. Take it away, give him easy looks on certain down/distance but take it away post snap. Like you said we can definitely get up on your guys (you might expect another big TE/WR this draft) & that will be key imo. We want to make Allen think, think, think bc again he's still not moving as quickly as he needs to but does get through. Just slow him down a tad & that could be the difference bc of our defense.
Your running game is obviously huge & I expect more QB scrambles this time around. Along w some off tackle runs behind Ford. I don't see you guys messing around in that regard. Although maybe a little predictable in some cases even if its not a lot snaps. Gore, Lee as an extra OL kinda advertises that for example but I suppose that might be some nitpicking? Kroft has down well blocking on power, pin/pull. Can't let you win 3rd down. Bill likes to take away your best player but also attacks you in similar ways in terms of winning those downs/matchups that you're good at & you have the most 3rd down conversions I think. Sounds obvious but he'll absolutely key on it since you're that good.

I'm expecting a big game from James White. You guys struggle against screens, will be doubling 11 as much as possible, as much as he's out there. So White is the obvious choice although I wouldn't rule out Rex/Sony either. Rex gives us a little of both so I wonder how many 2 back sets we see. Harry could be our X factor considering the circumstances w 11.

Should be a great game. Both teams should be as pumped as can be & ready to knock the **** out of each other. I don't mind these Sat games later in the year either. Gives even more of a playoff vibe.
Expanding a bit on his 1st read. Watching Josh you can't help but notice his footwork. His base gets too wide but that's nothing new. He stops moving his feet way too much in pocket, way too quick after the ball is snapped. He's not able to just pick right back up, stop/start & get back into things so again I think we try to take advantage of that w our blitz, disguise pressure/take it away. Along w messing w his first read. It's a bad habit that screams on screen.

Look at his feet this weekend. It happens every game & no doubt Bill try to exploit it. Allen's arm is legit top tier so it'll get him out of a lot bad situations but you know we'll be prepared for this in more then one way.
Like Jackson, Allen loves his TEs, esp working nub side to them We've run a ton them I'm the past so expect it w Knox/Kroft.

Another point I made in the other post is that they actual look & do things real offenses do. Buffalo has been a mess but they do a great job protecting Allen from himself. Quick/shallow stuff to get the ball out, keep the D away from him & just move the chains. Empty to chip the DEs & buy him an extra second. He's still a 15-30 QB but his talent is being utilized. They play together & have an identity. Great defense. Their better then I thought coming into the year. Should be a good one.

This is the game we use our RBs in the passing imo. Yea we have to target our WRS but they struggle against screens & I've seen a few big plays left out there that didn't happen. I think we see Rex/Sony involved w White or just a big day from White.

Speaking of our blitz...

To win:

1) Brady must not turn the ball over with interception or fumble..
2) OL must open up a few lanes for Sony and RB and they must run the ball over 25 times
3) Time for Dorsett to step up and make a few plays
4) Also time for Sanu (now that he is over his ankle problems) to justify the 2nd round pick and be possession receive and come up big like Anquin Boldin used to do for Cardinals
5) D just needs to keep on doing what they have been doing, keep Singletary and Gore under control and minimize big runs, Spy Collins on Allen and force Allen to throw the ball
5) Special teams need a huge game and keep the Bills backed up and shorten the field for Brady
Yeah, like last year the running game and defense has to save our bacon.

Weird. Over the last month i've continually read that he's terrible.

I mean he a good shot at breaking up the long TDs passes by the Chiefs and Texans but apart from that he played pretty well given all the things he needs to do in the slot.

He certainly is terrific value for the contract he got.

In our hearts, so that should count as something.

I don't know what goes on in your heart, or anyone else's. But in reality, the Patriots won that game. And they did so with a 3rd string center who is absolutely horrible.

What do you care, they're just preseason games, correct? Saturday is just another preseason game that doesn't matter, right?

That is correct. Neither game matters.

I was just correcting his obviously erroneous statement.

two things you can't really beat in NE
1. the GOAT coach
2. the best throw it in the dirt QB at the moment

just can't outwit HOOD and it's hard to get brady cause he just throws it at some pats foot in under 3 seconds.

1. the GOAT coach

just can't outwit HOOD and it's hard to get brady cause he just throws it at some pats foot in under 3 seconds.

O -for -N-O-R-W-O-O-D :p:p:p

Question for the Jills troll here. Is the curse of Doug Flutie for real still? Was it exorcised when the Jills made the playoffs? Or is it still in effect until the Jills win a playoff game? Instead of trolling this board maybe you should send a heart felt apology to Doug Flutie for your team's benching of him before that playoff game back in 1998. Shameful!

Sure......and the PATS are the cheaters.........:rolleyes:

1. the GOAT coach

It'll be a challenge for the Patriots as well, Allen runs a lot but it's tough to take him down without being flagged.

Question for the Jills troll here. Is the curse of Doug Flutie for real still? Was it exorcised when the Jills made the playoffs? Or is it still in effect until the Jills win a playoff game? Instead of trolling this board maybe you should send a heart felt apology to Doug Flutie for your team's benching of him before that playoff game back in 1998. Shameful!
That was the ‘99 season.

Last edited:
Sure......and the PATS are the cheaters.........:rolleyes:

This is what you do when you're desperate to be as good as Stephon Gilmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call