PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Need a Deep Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about replacing Koppen it was evident last year that he wasn't stout enough handle Nose tackles

Sure, Tate has a fine double move and is solid threat as slot receiver. Unfortunately, we have three other wide receivers who are fine in the slot. It is OK to have a tight end who is a deep threat (like Watson was)> However, we also need a wide receiver or two who can spread the defense.

On a double move, Tate could be deadly. Fly routes, not so much.

Last edited:
Sure, Tate has a fine double move and is solid threat as slot receiver. Unfortunately, we have three other wide receivers who are fine in the slot.

Yes agreed. Slight difference. I prefer Welker & Edelman on bubble screens, button hooks and quick slants, prefer Tate on out and up routes.

Generally though I agree, the burner on the fly route who takes the corner and safety out of the play? Probably Taylor Price next year.

Yes, that it why we drafted Price. We'll see. I suspect that we also sign a veteran free agent or two. We should have two deep threats among our 4-5 wide receivers.

I think we need to float some Wood long.

He could be the fastest player on the team, however can he get off the line, and is he tall enough for the position? My guess is no.

Just like to point out that Moss played in games against the Bengals, Bills, and Dolphins when its special teams unit melted down and put the game out of hand, not the Ravens and Chargers in close games. That might have something to do with those numbers.
You beat me to it. Chargers defense was statistically #1 coming into today and they looked very good to me.

Just like to point out that with Moss Brady has:
69.7 cmp%
7.5 Y/A
9 TDs
2 Ints
109.0 QBR

Without:
60.5 cmp%
5.9 Y/A
2 TDs
2 Ints
75.1 QBR
That deep threat really helped them in the playoffs last year....yawn

Sure, Tate has a fine double move and is solid threat as slot receiver. Unfortunately, we have three other wide receivers who are fine in the slot. It is OK to have a tight end who is a deep threat (like Watson was)> However, we also need a wide receiver or two who can spread the defense.

Who were the WRs who ran all these "deep routes" in 2003/2004? Not Givens, Brown, or Branch. They were running short and intermediate routes.

That being said, the Pats need the O-line to hold up a bit more consistently. That is more of an issue than the WRs.

Looks like it. Welker = non factor since Moss was shipped away.

That was to be expected. When Moss was traded, teams were going to gameplan to double team Welker and stop him. He became our #1 offensive threat in the passing game. Also, if anybody sees Brandon Tate actually playing offense, could you please let me know? Because, so far, he's been all but invisible this season.

As for Light, he usually has one or two games a season where he's REALLY bad. Let's hope that this was that game.

Just like to point out that with Moss Brady has:
69.7 cmp%
7.5 Y/A
9 TDs
2 Ints
109.0 QBR

Without:
60.5 cmp%
5.9 Y/A
2 TDs
2 Ints
75.1 QBR

that's because we've played 2 of the best defenses in the league since moss left. and next week it doesn't get any easier with Minnesota.

Who were the WRs who ran all these "deep routes" in 2003/2004? Not Givens, Brown, or Branch. They were running short and intermediate routes.

That being said, the Pats need the O-line to hold up a bit more consistently. That is more of an issue than the WRs.

In 2004 it was David Patten who ran the deep routes with 44 catches and 800 yds at 18 ypc.

In 2003 they didn't have a deep threat which was a part of why the offense often struggled to score points at times winning games with 9, 12, 12 (7 from the D), and 17(twice). The 2003 Pats were only 12th in scoring, the least productive offense of the Brady era.

that's because we've played 2 of the best defenses in the league since moss left. and next week it doesn't get any easier with Minnesota.

Yeah. We need to give the defenses the Pats have faced a little credit. The Chargers have the #1 pass defense. I was a little suspicious of it because of the QBs they have faced, but they are legit.

Yeah. We need to give the defenses the Pats have faced a little credit. The Chargers have the #1 pass defense. I was a little suspicious of it because of the QBs they have faced, but they are legit.

Cason and Jammer are two of the better coverage CBs in the league. Certainly better than Cromartie.

I was surprised that the Pats didn't put Welker or Branch more often. That was the "hallmark" of both of them.

Also, what happened to the Sweep Right by Woodhead. They ran that play to perfection against the Ravens twice and then stopped using it. I didn't see it used today (though I'll admit I missed the 1st Pats series and then a good chuck of the 4th quarter because CBS11 in Dallas is a joke.)

What good is a deep threat when you have a QB who really does not throw a good deep ball anymore. he didn't when he was younger ... then he got much better. Seems like he has some shoulder or arm problems again as his arm seems a bit stiff early in games.

In any case ... tom isn't great at it and that is not a part of our game. If we were to add a player I would rather see a change of pace big bruising cold weather RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft