PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positions to be fixed in FA/Draft (the fixed poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Positions

• Total voters

A.C Vegas

In the Starting Line-Up
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Since the odds are not good for the playoffs. Even though as a fan I will always root for it. Time to see where the improvement is most needed for players.

We all know that we need a real OC So let's not hijack the thread for that.

I think we need OL a lot mostly OT ones that can hold up in pass coverage.

We need A deep threat TE/WR even if it is a bridge to Thornton reaching his ability

And possibly one more CB the rookies have looked good but maybe some veteran leadership

I still say a legit #1 WR.
Look at the top teams in the AFC
Buffalo has Diggs
KC has Kelce(whose a glorified WR anyways)
Cincy has Chase

And before someone says "we won without a #1 WR before!!!" we had TB12 back then who covered a lot of warts and he did have the GOAT TE in the 2nd dynasty run. Get Mac some help Meyers as your #1 isn't going to cut it.

It simply won't matter much if we don't have enough coaches, and don't have much better coaches than we do now.
Consider 2022 with
an actual top OC
a QB coach
an assistant OC who could call the plays
a top OL coach, given that we had a new RG, a new LG, and unexperienced youngsters and rookies.
an assistant OL coach
an OL of Wynn, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, and Brown. with the hope that we would develop Cajuste, Hines and hopefully Russey, youngsters who might push Ferentz and Heron.
a veteran backup OG
============================
These were not personnel issues. They were coaching issues. This is what kept us from being truly competitive.

Yes, our QB's name is so far from the top AFC quarterbacks that we need to have much better personnel elsewhere to have even an average offense. I think that our 2021 OL OK, as long as we continued to go forward instead of backwards. Our RB's and TE's are fine. Our Defense is top 5. I cannot bring myself to mention the ST's after tonight. I think that Judge needs to move to ST's. Their personnel are top notch.

So, sure, our weakest positions are WR and QB. But, many of our positions compare favorably to the top teams. My bottom line is that with last year's COACHES, we would be almost a lock for the playoffs at this point. The difference between 2021 and 2022 is the coaching.

A good QB turns the whole ship around.

No offensive line options? I pick RT (Jack Conklin) as first choice. I like Fant from the Jets as well.
There will be WR's (Smith-Njigba, Addison or even Hyatt if Bill does his usual trade down) available in the draft at our current spot. Hyatt is similar to Tyquan but we could be in need for a WR/WR's.
We have 11 picks. BB is not getting any younger. Time to move up in the draft (but this is not a deep draft at the top after first 4 or 5 players) or spend money and draft capital on a QB (Lamar or even Jimmy G, Rodgers or Brady). Not sure Mac Jones is "the guy" to take us to the top. He's not mentally sound and looks like he'll have a nervous breakdown any minute now haha.

The offense has been bad since 2019. We always should have devoted an off season to it. Now is probably the time. If you think Mac isn't the answer, no free agent or potential good QB in a trade is going to want to come here with what we have. If you think Mac can figure it out, he won't with this squad.

OL and WR are the obvious picks.

Weak OL availability in FA. If you have good ones you’d be crazy to let them go.

We need linebackers. And there’s one available from a team without cap room: the Bills’ Tremaine Edmunds. He’s just what we need at LB. He’d be my #1 target.

I agree we need one more WR but we’re definitely going to have Parker, Bourne, Thornton for another year, and probably Meyers too.

OTs are going to have to come thru the draft. I suggest using 3rd and 4th rounders to get multiple OTs, maybe 3 of them. Or even 4 for depth.

As for DBs we’re fine except for S. Maybe Jalen Mills moves over, don’t know

Finally, the QB. People in the comments make it seem like yeah let’s go out and get an upgrade!!! As though many teams haven’t been trying to do just that, some for decades. Not easy to do. Just look at the #1 picks from the last several years. The only thing worse than a QB who can’t scan the field is a QB who can but who is wildly inaccurate. I’ve seen a lot of inaccurate around the league this weekend. Don’t know if there is an answer here other than huge money to a possibly available QB like Lamar Jackson, but if the Ravens don’t want him, you gotta wonder

Its time to draft a qb in the mid rounds to see if you strike gold...Its never too early for competition or to keep looking. Its the single most important position in sports, if you arent dynamite there, then you are behind the 8 ball

Love threads like this where we can discuss the future and ways to fix things rather than just wallow in this teams sucking.

Needs in order according to me
1. New OC
2. Offensive tackle
3. Off ball linebacker
4. Receiver
5. Safety (long term replacement for McCourty)
6. defensive tackle/3-4 end (Guy, Carl Davis and Ekuale will need to be replaced)
7. Tight End (Pats should just waive Jonnu post June 1st)
8. Developmental rush end to learn behind Judon and in case Uche leaves in free agency eventually.

Good news is that the Pats should be able to fill a number of these roles in the draft. If the Pats get a good enough pick and a guy like Stroud falls I would also grab a QB with higher upside in the draft (provided the ceiling was higher than Mac).

At least one OT. Two would be better.
A WR
Safety
DT
LB

It simply won't matter much if we don't have enough coaches, and don't have much better coaches than we do now.
This can't be overstated.

They can always get better, but talent isn't the issue right now.

Its time to draft a qb in the mid rounds to see if you strike gold...Its never too early for competition or to keep looking. Its the single most important position in sports, if you arent dynamite there, then you are behind the 8 ball
Can you name mid round QBs who are gold?

Maybe Dak Prescott fits but a lot of people think he is, well, mid.

None jump off the top of my head.

I can name a LOT of 1st round busts though, especially in the last several years.

Belichick has been taking a lot of mid and late round QBs for many, many, many years. And he has never hit on any of them except for back in 2000 when it was suggested to him by a guy who has long since passed away.

I seriously can't think of a single mid round success.

Maybe we should look up in Canada for the next Warren moon or Kurt Warner.

Love threads like this where we can discuss the future and ways to fix things rather than just wallow in this teams sucking.

Needs in order according to me
1. New OC
2. Offensive tackle
3. Off ball linebacker
4. Receiver
5. Safety (long term replacement for McCourty)
6. defensive tackle/3-4 end (Guy, Carl Davis and Ekuale will need to be replaced)
7. Tight End (Pats should just waive Jonnu post June 1st)
8. Developmental rush end to learn behind Judon and in case Uche leaves in free agency eventually.

Good news is that the Pats should be able to fill a number of these roles in the draft. If the Pats get a good enough pick and a guy like Stroud falls I would also grab a QB with higher upside in the draft (provided the ceiling was higher than Mac).
I agree with this order almost entirely but of course they can't waive Jonnu.

Can you name mid round QBs who are gold?

Maybe Dak Prescott fits but a lot of people think he is, well, mid.

None jump off the top of my head.

I can name a LOT of 1st round busts though, especially in the last several years.

Belichick has been taking a lot of mid and late round QBs for many, many, many years. And he has never hit on any of them except for back in 2000 when it was suggested to him by a guy who has long since passed away.

I seriously can't think of a single mid round success.

Maybe we should look up in Canada for the next Warren moon or Kurt Warner.
Whats the harm in doing so? Like you just pointed out, youre more likely to miss then hit in the 1st round too...So should they stop trying overall? I dont think trying to hit the jackpot and draft a guy that is not their fundamental prototype would hurt them. Guy with upside, physical upside, that need coaching and time.

Whats the harm in doing so? Like you just pointed out, youre more likely to miss then hit in the 1st round too...So should they stop trying overall? I dont think trying to hit the jackpot and draft a guy that is not their fundamental prototype would hurt them. Guy with upside, physical upside, that need coaching and time.
They've never stopped trying to do this in 20 years. They've also never hit.

Michael Bishop, Rohan Davey, Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Cassel, Kevin O'Connell, Zac Robinson, Ryan Mallet, Jacoby Brisset, Danny Etling, Jarrett Stidham, Bailey Zappe

It's something the Patriots can do and maybe should do regularly just to have a cheap backup.

I agree with this order almost entirely but of course they can't waive Jonnu.
You're right. I guess the only way to get rid of him and not have a huge dead cap hit would be to trade him (preferably after June 2nd), so that's my hope. Restructuring his contract was malpractice.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back