PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Need a Deep Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's because we've played 2 of the best defenses in the league since moss left. and next week it doesn't get any easier with Minnesota.

thats right the defenses get easier in the playoffs. Not saying that the stats won't improve but come playoff time they need to be better.

What good is a deep threat when you have a QB who really does not throw a good deep ball anymore. he didn't when he was younger ... then he got much better. Seems like he has some shoulder or arm problems again as his arm seems a bit stiff early in games.

In any case ... tom isn't great at it and that is not a part of our game. If we were to add a player I would rather see a change of pace big bruising cold weather RB.

I don't think anyone in the NFL is better at reading defenses and throwing the short and intermediate routes. But I do agree with you, the long ball is not Brady's strength even with Moss.

Last edited:
I thought last week it might have been the Ravens defense but we definitely need a deep threat. Why not use Tate more often, at least make him run deep once in a while? Defenses don't respect the deep threat anymore and this means a shorter field for the offense.

I know we won, though it was way closer than it should have been but think about it. We will not always have 4 turnovers. Last 2 defenses have been playing us really close to the line and they won't stop as long as we don't show them we can pass deep.

We actually HAD one of those......His name was Randy Moss!!! I get your point though.....and I don't think BB was prepared for the impact that the loss of Moss would create in our offense. Welk's opps (and all other receiving threats)have been greatly affected after Moss left......so has our running game. I think BB thought Tate could stretch the field....well that aint happening...and our OL is very inconsistent. So, yes.....we need a deep threat.....and need to rebuild our OL again as well

We actually HAD one of those......His name was Randy Moss!!! I get your point though.....and I don't think BB was prepared for the impact that the loss of Moss would create in our offense. Welk's opps (and all other receiving threats)have been greatly affected after Moss left......so has our running game. I think BB thought Tate could stretch the field....well that aint happening...and our OL is very inconsistent. So, yes.....we need a deep threat.....and need to rebuild our OL again as well

I don't think it was up to BB. Moss wanted out

I don't think it was up to BB. Moss wanted out

That point gets way overshadowed.

Some think because he was under contract we would get his 100% this year.

Well ... Bill knew better than that and I think he was right.

Moss has not caught a ball yet tonight.

Last edited:
Like what?

How about factoring in the quality of defenses when looking at a QB's statistics. QBs tend to have poorer numbers against better defenses. If you like quoting statistics, feel free to review the statistics of the two defenses and compare them to the four other teams. You may see some differences in quality of defense that offer some explanation of Brady's poorer stats other than the fact Moss is not on the team now.

How about the Jets game with Moss? 20/36 (55.6%), 248 yds, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 72.5 rating. Good defense, bad numbers. It happens. Last time I checked, the Ravens and Chargers have pretty good defenses, so running your stats exercise when compared just to the Jets games against a comparable good defense, Brady is actually better statistically without Moss.

I didn't bother going through the entire thread, but the Chargers have a damn good defense and were getting good pressure on Brady much of the day. Even if they had a deep threat Brady wouldn't have had much time to let it develop deep.

Agreed, they need to show some stuff deep, or the inside lanes will get smaller and smaller.

That, along with the lack of pass rush really stood out today.

In 2004 it was David Patten who ran the deep routes with 44 catches and 800 yds at 18 ypc.

I guess your idea of a "consistent" deep threat and mine are different.

Also, if Patten was so consistent, why was he all but benched for the last 5 games of the season (that includes the 3 playoff games)?

In 2004, Brady threw a total of 76 passes greater than 20 yards. He completed just 26 of them.

Through 5 games this year, they'd only attempted 14 passes of 20 yards or more.

Looking at Brady's Splits for 2007 and 2009, I did notice something. They didn't attempt more than 69 passes of 20 yards or more in either year.

So, I guess I will revise my statement about 2004.

So, they need someone who can run the deeper intermediate routes consistently. I'd honestly hoped that Edelman could be this year's David Patten, but he's not been healthy enough.

I don't think anyone in the NFL is better at reading defenses and throwing the short and intermediate routes. But I do agree with you, the long ball is not Brady's strength even with Moss.

In 2007, Brady was 28 of 69 in passes of 21 yards or more. In 2009, he was just 16 of 60 on passes of 21 yards or more.

This year, he's 4 of 14 on passes of 21 yards or more. (not including Today's game).

Brady can hit the short and intermediate routes (from behind the line to 20 yards) better than anyone. And he has the weapons to do it. The problem, at least today, was the O-line.

Agreed, they need to show some stuff deep, or the inside lanes will get smaller and smaller.

That, along with the lack of pass rush really stood out today.

What lack of a Pass Rush? Rivers was pressured more today than he'd been in any other game this season. I saw him have to make a ton of plays stepping up and on the run.

This was probably the best consistent effort by the Patriots defense with a Pass rush this season...

I wonder if Bill kinf og had this in mind when he drafted Slater. brady made mention on WEEI one day how fast Slater is ... like one of the fastest few on the team. That interview was last month when Randy was here.

Speed alone does not get one respect though.

We have a few deeps but they lack the threat component.

What good is a deep threat when you have a QB who really does not throw a good deep ball anymore. he didn't when he was younger ... then he got much better. Seems like he has some shoulder or arm problems again as his arm seems a bit stiff early in games.

In any case ... tom isn't great at it and that is not a part of our game. If we were to add a player I would rather see a change of pace big bruising cold weather RB.

What a crock... A deep threat today would have done us about as much good as the last one did. Today was one of the worst performances this OL has had since that SB debaucle. Couldn't run block or pass block. Brady's deep ball is fine. Problem is he hasn't got the time to wait for those routes to develop consistently enough to warrant the risk of reliance on that player actually getting open or beating coverage or catching a ball. And that's in ideal weather. Once the snow flies... Dante better get his boys in order and Fred better get that toe in shape...

Is Randy Moss available?

Last edited:
Well Moss is a deep threat but he is also good in the red zone with his height and great hands and we didn't have that today and it cost us in the red zone.

I thought last week it might have been the Ravens defense but we definitely need a deep threat. Why not use Tate more often, at least make him run deep once in a while? Defenses don't respect the deep threat anymore and this means a shorter field for the offense.

I know we won, though it was way closer than it should have been but think about it. We will not always have 4 turnovers. Last 2 defenses have been playing us really close to the line and they won't stop as long as we don't show them we can pass deep.

Problem is, it takes a lot more that .02 seconds to get open deep.

Tate ran a 4.52 during his campus workout on March 17, 2009
Tate had surgery for a torn ACL and MCL in late October 2008
It takes a special kind of ignorance for anyone to use the first fact without acknowledging the second. You think Tate might be a little speedier now as opposed to 20 weeks after reconstructive knee surgery?

In the Ravens game, they played a deep safety the whole game. In the 2nd half, he was so far back he looked like he was preparing to field a punt. Today, Brady never had the time to let anything develop deep...and the Bolts got that pressure without blitzing (that I noticed at least). If you can drop 7 into coverage and still get that kind of pressure, you really don't have to worry about the deep ball...or any other passes for that matter.

That Pats offense was completely out of sync today. That is one in a row. In a game across the country against a desperate team. Lets see how they bounce back against the Vikings and Browns before jumping off the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back