PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We. Have. Revis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a couple places that Revis' cap hit this year will be $7 million. Does this mean that the contract is in essence 2 years at $32 million, with a $10 million signing bonus that is amortized across two years?

Year 1: Salary 2M, Signing bonus 5M = 7M cap hit
Year 2: Salary 20M, Signing bonus 5M = 25M cap hit

Thanks everyone for the help.

Is there any actual change the Pats keep Revis in 2015 with that outrageous cap hit from year 2?

This is staged to be just a one year rental:/

Dead money is the charge to the cap for unamortized spending.

Say you give someone a signing bonus of 12M and a salaries of 1M, 1M, 1M.

The first year cap hit is the salary plus 1/3 of the bonus or 5M.

Now say you cut him at the end of the year. You have to take a "cap hit" of the unamortized bonus or 8M the next year. The 8M is "dead money".

It is not true that dead money only applies to unamortized spending.

Dead money is the portion of the contract that is guaranteed. Salaries are normally not guaranteed (unless the player is vested or on the roster prior to the season starting) and so don't count against the cap, and neither do LBTE incentives.

But signing bonuses count against the cap, so if your player who I assume you are signing to a 3 year contract is cut at the end of year one prior to June 1, the proration of the signing bonus is automatically accelerated, so you would have a dead money cap hit of $8m the next season.

I've read a couple places that Revis' cap hit this year will be $7 million. Does this mean that the contract is in essence 2 years at $32 million, with a $10 million signing bonus that is amortized across two years?

Year 1: Salary 2M, Signing bonus 5M = 7M cap hit
Year 2: Salary 20M, Signing bonus 5M = 25M cap hit

Yes, sounds right. SO there'll be a dead money hit of 5M next year. It's a way of pushing cap hits into the future.

Of course he could be resigned during the year.

Is there any actual change the Pats keep Revis in 2015 with that outrageous cap hit from year 2?

Most of the cap hit in year 2 is salary, so it's essentially meaningless. The Patriots can extend him and push the guaranteed money into future years (and adding more if need be) while negotiating salaries in those years.

Right, the 2nd year is an "option" that the team will never pick up. The idea is that if they like how Revis plays during the season, they will restructure into an extension. If Revis is somehow a misfit, the team doesn't pick up his option, he becomes a FA, we get a 3rd for 2015.

This kind of forward thinking is just sick, if you ask me.

And that $5M will still be part of the 2015 cap in addition to any compensation from a new contract.

Of course he could be resigned during the year.

Patriots fans right now.

GRYnC73.jpg

And that $5M will still be part of the 2015 cap in addition to any compensation from a new contract.

Of course it will. The alternative would be a full $12M cap hit this year.

With the 2015 cap projected to be upwards of $140M, plus considerably more cap room based on the currently projected contracts (including no $7.5M dead money hit for Aaron Hernandez), the Pats obviously deemed it prudent to take the extra cap space now.

I agree that Collins is part of the answer. We still need more than Mayo, Hightower and Collins.

That is why I want the play maker Spikes back.:snob:

That is why I want the play maker Spikes back.:snob:

I think that the Collins pick last draft and their pursuit of Woodyard shows that Belichick wants to get faster and really improve the coverage from the linebacker position, and Spikes is a major liability in that regard.

So when are we cutting Adrian Wilson for Revis to get #24? :cool:

Its the usual. Some are pissed. Some are angry. Some are dismissive, because he's "on the downside" and hasn't been the same since his ACL. Some are claim that all he cares about is the money and was a bad teammate. And there are a few who grimly shake their heads in dismay that the Pats could lose Talib and yet still upgrade the position. Pretty much just what you'd expect. ;)

I had to take my hat off to those Jets fans who were critical of the other fans who downplayed Revis's impact. Anyone who doesn't see Revis as an improvement over Talib is kidding himself.

BTW I would be shocked if it's not NE @ NYJ week one and probably Sunday or Monday night. The NFL loves big story lines to get everybody amped up and the Revis return as a Patriots certainly qualifies.

Of course it will. The alternative would be a full $12M cap hit this year.

With the 2015 cap projected to be upwards of $140M, plus considerably more cap room based on the currently projected contracts (including no $7.5M dead money hit for Aaron Hernandez), the Pats obviously deemed it prudent to take the extra cap space now.

Great #s.
The Pats do what just folks wanted, use cap space NOW to sign a difference maker and push the cap hit into the future
and we still get posts kvetching about it

Great #s.
The Pats do what just folks wanted, use cap space NOW to sign a difference maker and push the cap hit into the future
and we still get posts kvetching about it

If we didn't sign Revis the same people would be complaining all season about our secondary being swiss cheese and Belichick's inability to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe