PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We. Have. Revis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bills fans think we overpaid. They are just as stupid as Jest fans IMO.

Well, Bills fans certainly know about overpaying for players:

Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't intend to shed his scraggly beard or lose his large collection of T-shirts after signing a contract extension on Friday that secures him as the Buffalo Bills franchise quarterback.

Given how much he'll be making and his new high-profile status, Fitzpatrick might have a hard time sticking with the "No-Name" label though.

The extension is valued at $59 million over six years, including $24 million in guaranteed money, team and league sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Ryan Fitzpatrick of Buffalo Bills agrees to new contract - ESPN

he's only counting 7M against the cap this year.........
This is a key element for me. Its now being announced that its really a 2 year deal, with the Pats paying Revis either $20MM in 2015 or letting him become a FA. This is a MUCH better deal for the Pats.

They now get $5MM more in cap space in 2014, a year where things are a bit tight, and move that to 2015 a year where the cap will increase to more than cover that, and the Pats will be in better shape.

That $5MM can go a long way to get us the DE we need so badly. It also makes getting Browner, Woodyard, Svitek and Chandler/Owens possible. Even JE or another WR becomes more of a possibility.

I don't know where we are as of this moment as far as cap space goes, but we all know -there are easy ways to increase that by about $6-10MM more with selected cuts, restructures and extensions. Certainly enough to fill all our immediate needs before the draft.

The guys on WEII just said no franchise tag clause.

Franchise in '15 is impossible according to Reiss

"But for salary-cap accounting purposes, and to protect Revis from being assigned the franchise tag in 2015, the sides have added a second year to the pact in 2015 that would pay Revis $20 million and count $25 million against the salary cap."

The guys on WEII just said no franchise tag clause.

No. It is a defacto No Franchise Clause. The Pats didn't want to set a prescidence with giving a contract with a no franchise clause so they gave an extra year that is too high to pick up the option.

Anyone have any word on what the ***** ass Jets fans have to say bout Revis coming here?

They are all pissed off and looking for female Patriots fans to punch.

Yes, this was what I thought of when I was talking about 'worse things the Bills have done.'

Yeah, they gave twice as much in guaranteed money to Ryan Fitzpatrick than the Pats gave to Revis. And both the Revis contract and the Bills contract with Fitpatrick benefitted the Pats far more than they benefit the Bills.

Anyone have any word on what the ***** ass Jets fans have to say bout Revis coming here?
Its the usual. Some are pissed. Some are angry. Some are dismissive, because he's "on the downside" and hasn't been the same since his ACL. Some are claim that all he cares about is the money and was a bad teammate. And there are a few who grimly shake their heads in dismay that the Pats could lose Talib and yet still upgrade the position. Pretty much just what you'd expect. ;)

Its the usual. Some are pissed. Some are angry. Some are dismissive, because he's "on the downside" and hasn't been the same since his ACL. Some are claim that all he cares about is the money and was a bad teammate. And there are a few who grimly shake their heads in dismay that the Pats could lose Talib and yet still upgrade the position. Pretty much just what you'd expect. ;)

So, what you are saying as that it

IS AWESOME

I will ask this question again. What does Loui mean by dead money ?. I'm listening to Mut and Loui and he mentioned it .

The guys on WEII just said no franchise tag clause.. but seems others are simply saying its just logistically impossible to franchise tag.. :shrug:

It isn't technically a no-franchise clause, but the option year does make it impossible to franchise him, so it might as well be. You can franchise players who become FAs, not guys whose options you decline.

From what I saw, Revis looked like basically the same guy by the end of last year when allowed to go man to man. Granted, Schiano criminally misused him, but the quickness and fluidity that pretty much define him are still there, no doubt.

I will ask this question again. What does Loui mean by dead money ?. I'm listening to Mut and Loui and he mentioned it .

Dead money is the charge to the cap for unamortized spending.

Say you give someone a signing bonus of 12M and a salaries of 1M, 1M, 1M.

The first year cap hit is the salary plus 1/3 of the bonus or 5M.

Now say you cut him at the end of the year. You have to take a "cap hit" of the unamortized bonus or 8M the next year. The 8M is "dead money".

Dead money is the charge to the cap for unamortized spending.

Say you give someone a signing bonus of 12M and a salaries of 1M, 1M, 1M.

The first year cap hit is the salary plus 1/3 of the bonus or 5M.

Now say you cut him at the end of the year. You have to take a "cap hit" of the unamortized bonus or 8M the next year. The 8M is "dead money".

Thanks for the info.

If you cut a player, say Revis in 2015, the Dead Money is the 2015 cap hit you get for not even having a live body on the roster

Why cut him? Because you can't agree on an extension and would get stuck with an amortized $25M cap hit by just keeping him in 2015

All this was done to reduce this year's cap hit

Means Pats not done with FA and player extensions

There are others here with more tchnical understanding of the salary cap than me, but simply put, "Dead Money" are the dollars committed to players no longer on the team who have been released or cut that the team is obligated to pay.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2013 Salary Cap and Contracts

On the cap chart in the link above, Tom Brady has a "Dead Money" number of $46.6 million which is the amount of money the Patriots would have to pay him if they were to cut him today. That $46.6 million would be applied to current and future salary caps depending upon how the contract structured his payouts.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents